Raid Boss Teasing

Hey, I did say I can’t wait.

I also said it looks easy, but I’m not making a jab at if its too easy or too hard. How would I know, I haven’t fought it yet.

But no way do I find those stats intimidating, nor do I think someone pitching the idea that a harder Zuul’Goth is going to conquer me a thing that’s actually going to happen.

1 Like

Did I say anywhere I think that the screenshot is the hardest form of the boss? No.

Don’t force your opinion on me.

I can already picture some viable solutions to that enemy team comp or anything remotely similar, and inflated stats isn’t going to change much.

I’m excited to see what kind of challenge this new game mode will bring. I’m hoping you have the courtesy not to force other people to think its super difficult before its even out.

My consideration of that looking easy is my opinion and my opinion alone, and at no point was I trying to say it was anyone elses.

Edit: This is also not an invitation to consider this a message as a “cater to the end-game” “make it harder.” I am perfectly fine with it the way it wants to come out and would love it if it was approachable to new or low level players as well.

1 Like

The stats don’t look impressive, but what really counts is the traits and spell effects. Looks like the boss has 4 or more colours with 32 mana, if the spell is some weird *15 bonus to damage for every purple gem then it’s pretty much a one hit kill at any level regardless of stats. Likewise a trait that adds 10 to all stats on 4 or 5 gem matches would also be silly difficult if handled wrong.

Still as someone in bracket 70 in gw I’m very happy for a new reward system that doesn’t require me to spend months playing to get a slightly better pittance reward

Sorry I didn’t mean to imply that you were. I just know generally that people will. And your comment made me think of it.

What’s funny about this is…I predicted the next Ascension past Mythic would be “Ultra Mythic”. They would have 4 colors and be high in Mana cost. And that the first ones would be Raid Bosses. Lol
I don’t know if they plan on making the Raid Bosses available to us. But if they do… They’ll be just Mythic troops. Salty said rather recently that there will not be a acension past Mythic.
I still don’t disenchant… Because no future is ever certain.

So when release 3.3?

Don’t think the intention is to make the fights ultra-difficult. The screenshot suggests that more fights can be purchased. Can’t imagine people buying fights for somthing nearly impossible to kill. My guess is that the difficulty will be pitched at your typical end game meta-team. You then have to make resouce decisions of whether to buy more fights.

For the sake of accessibility to everyone who plays GoW, yes the boss will start out easy. As you mentioned, not everyone is “end-game”. It is very likely that this mode will functionally work out similar to how Guild Chests function (as others have pointed out). Kill the boss, get event currency, gain progress points towards the raid. Complete the progress bar, the Boss Chest level raises one tier and the boss encounter becomes more difficult.

Rinse, lather, repeat, until either the boss becomes too hard to beat for a guild (at which point the guild can cash in their event currency for rewards appropriate for the highest tier of the boss that the guild reached), or the guild is able to clear the hardest tier of the boss to unlock the “grand prize” out of the highest level tier of the Boss Chest.

1 Like

If we consider the “battles will start easy” theory, so why on the screenshot the Boss Damage = 0?
Because on the 1st 2 stages you don’t fight against him.
Stage 3 requires 4 battles. And we don’t know how many stages there are before reaching the Boss… So my guess I that it will a contest of avaibility to play (i.e. be able to play every 4-6 hours).

Maybe it reset after each boss?

Or maybe he didin’t attack boss at all there is more then 1 dev :slight_smile:

The problem isn’t stats, its team comp. The team comp looks extremely non-threatening. The only time it would be threatening is for a player early enough in their progression to not have access to fast enough damage troops to kill them before they became a problem, and there are a lot of lower rarity troops that have been increasing in ability to do just that recently. After zeroing in on some kingdom magic, the main role stats play for most troops is to allow you to take a hit or two while setting up your win condition. I maintain an account that has exactly one level 10 kingdom/5* bonus for life (which I only picked up to test scoring) and none at all in armor and most of the same teams are almost as trivial as on my maxed out account up until the point where I have to take damage, thats where the low level has troops dying in one skull hit or AoE (which can hamper my ability to actually win) while my main can weather four (by which time the battle is usually over completely).

The only way to have a threatening team comp without fundamentally altering some of the rules in battle for at least how raids work is to put in quick fill/empowered troops that can cause a death spiral after a single cast, while also maybe limiting the troops that the invade side can use - you know, exactly the same things employed by Guild Wars defenses and PvP defenses. And the problem with that, when combined with stat ramp especially, is your loss condition becomes largely first turn RNG before you’ve had a chance to exert more than a tiny amount of control. RNG is always ever present, but front-loading the win-loss condition on the initial board state is incredibly non-interactive and overall not a good way to design “challenging” content.

Basically, I hope these raids follow their own set of rules and aren’t some generic battles that I can either take out in 30 seconds with explodey boom boom or basically be required to loop it down if I want a better than even chance of winning. There is a way to get a middle ground here and have battles that play out with some back and forth its just becoming increasingly difficult with the troop options that are in the game available to the player. The way things are now, no battle can ever be a “fair challenge” while allowing the player access to every tool that they normally have access to, and certainly not across all levels of progression. Limiting the way certain mechanics work at least part of the time in certain modes is necessary for some troops designs to ever reach their full potential.

tl;dr: I don’t need the fights to be difficult in the way most people think about “difficulty” in Gems of War, I just want to feel like I need to actually think and possibly tackle them in a way that I am not accustomed to at the moment, and possibly give troops with design choices that currently don’t really fit a chance to shine (eg., Gargantaur). A side mode is the perfect place to do this, as having something different that you don’t personally find enjoyable won’t be a complete game-killer for most people if it isn’t dominating their gameplay (even better if is actually optional), but sweeping game wide changes to attempt to shake the meta forcing a type of playstyle for the main game mode that not everyone will appreciate could be.

5 Likes

Yeah i agree this boss is in 4th slot it might be bad composition but we don’t know what his traits are, maybe he gain +10 every stats when other troops receive damage or die, of course first boss need to be easy to kill to let a chance to everyone to kill some boss

Maybe when you kill some boss you get handicap so your team is weaker and the boss getting stronger every time, maybe you start with level 20 troops and every time you change stage, your troop level drop, also maybe on harder difficulty the boss will be in the first slot, and we don’t know what is his spell … there is plenty way to make it fun for every player range

What if the raids are like the arena. And we can’t use our troops. :thinking:

This idea is for sure wrong upon further review.

Exactly maybe you lose some trait when you are in harder boss, this is alot of maybe lol

Ahh Invulnerable is the new Impervious with 3.3 Mana Shield interesting.

Well if the spoilers page is anything to go by then we will have an idea of what they will be

1 Like

Nevermind…
One of the new troops has traits built to use against Bosses.

Handicap could be a solution. Each time you climb in stage the boss win +2 to every stats and you lose some also

They could also add some random status effect at the start of the fight

Thanks i didin’t know raid boss was listed, just watched it and the spell look very strong, kill somebody, burn and freeze everyone + create 12 skulls

It look really strong 100% kill random but only can cast once, so it should be interesting

1 Like

Wow this blew up fast. Um. All I’m gonna say is that I’d really rather just go to one place for my information, i.e. the forums. If its gotta be Twitter then fine, but don’t… scatter things. Its irritating.

3 Likes