Design-a-troop Project Part 1a - Kingdom poll is now closed!

how is this different than the current situation?

We arent plugging holes remember? Other wise we could just make a maw killer. I was going for cool theme and flavour.

I can still play my Giant or Knight teams currently to invade all even though they are slower than the cookie cutter stuff, the point is, currently it is still possible to use these teams, a counter all themed teams troop will make it absolutely impossible.

So it’s good against theme types and squishy against mixed types? So what? I didn’t think we were trying to build a god troop that would take down everything. Also, it is usually possible to build a kingdom themed team using mixed types. Well, except maybe goblins, but who wants to see more goblins?

@Gouki, I think you overstate the issue. I don’t think we are talking about all theme types. I specifically said either a troop type or a color. And it doesn’t have to apply to all troop types.

1 Like

I like @Machiknight’s starting point. Seems like a good foundation to build out a troop, to me.

This right here

I just don’t see why a community given the opportunity to build a troop of their own would want to build one that further streamlines the possible options of teambuilding and gameplay.

1 Like

How many times lately have you seen a Gorgotha/Infernal King/Moloch build lately? I’m seeing them a lot. Also still seeing tons of goblins. In my opinion, a troop like this would encourage diversity, not eliminate it.

3 Likes

Guys, the reason certain troops are better than others (imho) is because they fill a void. We should not look for a counter, we should build something awesome and crazy that people should yell “where is the nerf bat?!” yet also be weak enough that it can be defended, look at queen mab, she is a stronger version of tyri and with a different theme. Look at borealis, he is a bone dragon that has not died and been reanimated yet. I want a lot of different and unique troops just like everyone else but we should remember by the time we make a counter card to the meta it would have already changed. Everyone at lower levels use goblins cause they are cheap and those at the top are currently using maw/mercy and yet now queen mab is slowly taking over. We should not be trying to catch the wind, we should be flowing with it.

In fact, that’d be the entire purpose of a troop like this. Endgame in this game (should be) rock-paper-scissors, with the attacker having both an intelligence advantage (over the AI) as well as being able to select troops that are strong against a given defense. This troop would simply expose a new axis of “strong/weak” in that it could turn a strength (team bonus synergy) into a weakness. The degree to which it would be effective is something that we couldn’t know until a tuning pass, so at the moment it’s mainly just about concept.

1 Like

And while I’m on about it, I would love for this to be a female troop. Not a squishy princess, but a Zena Warrior Princess. A Black Widow card.

8 Likes

I’m thinking Diablo 3 Demon Hunter lady!

1 Like

The opportunity that devs give us don’t have to be used to correct something in this game (apparently too much daemons used…). We must focus on a troop that we want to play.

The troop proposed by @Machiknight sounds too much Epic for me…
Moreover, currently all the Legendaries are friendly to their kingdom. The opposing troops are Epic only (Lady Sapphira, Tau, …). I think we should respect that. There are a very easy solution to have an exiled troop from one kingdom because he/she was too powerful/brutal/…

I voted for Blighted Lands because I don’t want another Adana troop ;-).

A female that hunts demons and is strong? Can we then say Bayonetta would be a perfect troop to introduce to the game? I mean if we want a demon slayer or angel slayer or whatever.

I would pay the Heck out of a troop like that. But then I like and use the “anti” troops like gnoll, gobchomp, order/chaos etc.

Color: Green/Blue
Mana cost: 16
Skill: Deal magic x ? to one target. If 2 or more daemons deal 50% of damage to another dad on.

Traits:

Daemon Slayer
Fireproof
Holy Armor - reflect 25% of skull damage from daemons.

I agree, though for me the draw of design is to “make something cool”. I like making things that make people go “That was cool!” even if it isn’t super effective against everything.

Maybe an ability like:
Shield Throw (or maybe Armour Throw)
Destroy your armour to hit an enemy for [Magic] boosted by armour destroyed (1:1)

Or
Bodycheck (Bodyslam?)
One-Time Spell
Deal damage to an enemy equal to your health and armour.
(Maybe lose your armour in the process?)

Brainstorming; I like several of the ideas so far.

Anetta Blightbane
Legendary Human
Crossbolts
16 Yellow/Blue
Create two 2x2 clusters of Red gems and deal [Magic+X] damage to a target. If the target is a Daemon or Undead, deal double damage and create one more 2x2 cluster.

Traits:
Daemon Slayer
Undead Slayer
Multishot: Any skull damage done to a target deals X% to all enemies of a matching type.

The red would signify blood splatter, perhaps? Not sure about yellow/blue as colors, though. I think it depends on if she’s to be considered stealthy (green) or not. Obviously the number of spawned gems would need to be tuned so that she’d make a 4-match roughly as often as Jarl might under similar board conditions.

2 Likes

I like this. But in my secret heart of hearts, I really wanted her to be named after Emma Peel.:blush:

1 Like

Random thought what if the spawned gems were not in a 2x2 cluster, but a + shape. Now of course if it was just that then it would be a mana surge gem match which wouldn’t make sense, so maybe something like

XRX
RYR
XRX

With yellow signifying the “holy” bolt (since it deals extra damage to daemons and undead).

The main downside to this is that it wouldn’t lead to 4-matches in most cases.

The goal of this topic is not about the choice of the kingdom? It seems that it’s going to be Blighted Lands :stuck_out_tongue: .

Despite @Jainus’s indications, I think it’s important to take two points into account:

1. don’t propose a 11th troop (so forget about Myst of Scales and the other one)
  2. two Legendaries by kingdom only (forget about Khetar, etc)
    If we care about that, devs should give a list of kingdoms that will not have in the near future 10 troops or a second Legendary. Another solution is that devs select the kingdom of the community troop.

Example Blighted Lands:

There are currently two troops in the game files that haven’t been released. They look like Daemons and one can be released into Blighted Lands. And if he/she is a Legendary that means this kingdom will have 3 Legendaries. Not good.