There will be more and more Gorgotha in Defend team?

I’ve been using a skull generating lineup of:

Skeleros, Gloom Leaf, Sunweaver and Bone Dragon to defeat pretty much anything I come across.
I don’t even have them traited at all. As in not a single trait on any of those cards. Yet, I do fine against even a full team of Gorgothas fully traited.

The hardest team for me to beat with this lineup are those damn Goblin teams that get free turns constantly. Gorgotha however, is no match even fully traited with the aforementioned lineup.

No, I think the issue is when a single troop is so safe and widely useful it probably means it’s OP and needs to be nerfed. Which is essentially the case with Gorgotha & Bone Dragon.

• Gorgotha: Crazy good feeder that’s super safe (i.e., when he gives a skull match to his opponent from his explosion, who cares!) and single-handedly hard counters an entire line of team comps (i.e., skull-based teams).
  • Bone Dragon: Amazing skull creator (steals armor and creates tons of skull matches netting huge damage) that’s also super safe (b/c he’s tanky from stealing armor and freezing opponents when his skull creation goes wrong).

I’m also not saying they need to be nerfed into the ground. I’m a reasonable person. Gorgotha being a little less good at feeding (i.e., a couple fewer explosions and/or slightly higher mana cost) and Bone Dragon being a little less safe (i.e., not gaining armor and/or slightly higher mana cost) would make a big difference in terms of them being less safe while still keeping them very strong.

1 Like

I could get behind these changes, but if the goal is to make those troops less widely used, I don’t think that Wil do it.

The changes you mention wouldn’t bother me at all. But I don’t currently see a problem with these troops to begin with.

The goal isn’t to make them less widely used, it’s to make them not OP. Often the latter results in the former, but that’s not the goal. If people still find them to be very useful, great; my issue is that they’re a little too useful.

@Jainus did a very nice, and more extensive, write-up of why Bone Dragon should be nerfed. I think it’s definitely the worse offender. Gorgotha is just annoying b/c it’s so universally useful and makes matches much more of a slog.

1 Like

I absolutely agree that Gorgotha is a top tier legendary right now, but there will allways be a top tier and i don’t think he is alone in that tier. I don’t think he is overpowered in a general sense.
Facing him i have no problem killing him even with skull generator teams even though i admit it is time consuming if all i have is skulls.
I own Gorgotha but don’t play him currently nor do i feel obliged to play him to progress faster or better in any way.
As a matter of fact i chose to not trait him this week and instead went for Great Maws traits simply because i deem them more fun.
I am not against more balance among troops, but i don’t think Gorgotha is in need of nerfs, if anything some other troops could be brought up some more in the way Behemoth recently was.

1 Like

Firstly does gorgotha feel like a legendary now? Secondly does bone dragon feel like a legendary? Are they worth their rarity? What compares to them/has similar spells? Is there anything that has a similar spell that costs less and with a lower rarity? Surely by looking through the troops i found many that shared similar spells to gorgotha, and the closest one to its traits and spell was golem. Golem as you should know is a common whose cost to cast is 8 but blows up one gem not scaled by magic. Bone dragon’s closest troop is another common in the form of skeleton. Yes they are not the same but they are similar to their common counter parts and their common counter parts cost alot less. Don’t forget how hard it is to get these legendary troops as well. Not everyone is going to have them, but the commons they might.

1 Like

While I might be able to see some argument made for Bone Dragon and Skeleton, Gorgotha to Golem doesn’t even come close. For one, I’d be looking more at the ability first and the traits second and in this case, blowing up the majority of the field vs 1 gem and those surrounding it isn’t even close. You can make a better argument with Ragnagord or Herdmaster in this case. Granted, one is an Epic while the other is Ultra Rare, but they’re both not that hard to pull either.

I disagree. In the fantasy draft I think it was that Gorgotha and BD work well as the only legendary on their team. Other legendaries are as popular if not more so in PvP but they work best with other legendaries or specific builds that are hard/impossible to achieve in the draft format. Something to think about for next draft tournament. :wink:

You can have multiple legendaries next draft.

1 Like

You can have 2 legendaries only if you also take 2 commons. High risk strategy right there so if someone pulls it off I’ll be impressed.

Well maybe not. The point system may be tweaked. We can continue this in pm if you’re interested

1 Like

This is a great point.

I don’t think this can happen though while ‘scouting’ has a cost. It’s easier to switch when it’s free (which I think is VIP 4?).

VIP 3 is all you need.

1 Like

But shouldn’t “stand-alone awesome” be the most obvious criteria that something is OP? Something is much less clearly OP if it’s reliant on 1-2 other Legendaries to be good. This strikes me as what we actually want to see. I.e., a variety of teams that are really strong.

It can be, but it can as well be the most obvious criteria for a well rounded and well designed top tier troop that is not reliant on other troops.

Also following that train of logic, an over the top synergizing team of mediocre-on-their-own troops that utterly destroy all competition and dominate a hypothetical meta would remain untouched, while a hypothetical team of stand-alone-awesome troops that couldn’t overcome said dominating team due to lacking synergy, would keep getting nerfed until they are mediocre on their own and terrible in teams.

Anyways that is all hypothetical, we should stick to discussing the actual troop in question.

Operative word is “variety”. If there’s only one team that does this, the combo is too good. If there’s a bunch that do this, it’s balanced.

It’s not stand alone awesome. It’s good and really only good against skull teams and just another card otherwise. And even then if you were to field one Gorgotha against a skull team you would be able to down it and win with skull damage. Can you make it great with combinations of other cards. Of course but that’s what the entire point of this game is. There are plenty of AOE and direct spell damage teams that have no problem running through him and even skull teams can with added time…its 50 gold to scout and no cost to pvp just scope the opponent and use the proper decks. Also it’s 10 gold to get a new opponent if you are so sick of this sudden rash of Gorgotha’s (that didn’t actually happen yet) spend your time rerolling instead of begging for the nerf hammer.

1 Like

The ability to pay to avoid a troop doesn’t mean it’s okay for the troop to be OP. There should never be nerfs by that logic.

And Gorgotha is not “just another card”. Skull damage is almost always a decent chunk of damage in a match and Gorgotha also is a fantastic feeder that can be slotted into basically any team.

If anything needs a buff it is fortress gate. No attack and can only gain armour for itself. Yes it is immune to staus effects but i want it to be even better. I would think that it is used by no one in any regard. Its first trait is basicly bink and its second trait barely helps it stay alive. It third is great at protecting it from frozen, burning, poison but that is about it. If its mana cost was lower with a different first trait that would be nice.

1 Like