FG or Gorgotha?

Thanks to @Sththunder for convincing me to create a topic, and to @Fourdottwoone for providing the subject matter :wink: .

Which troop and spell would you rather build a team around:

• Forest Guardian ā€œNatureā€™s Allyā€
  • Gorgotha ā€œDoomstonesā€

0 voters

4 Likes

Forest Guardian every single time. Charging your entire team to 50% > having a damage sponge. By the time you charge up Gorgotha enough to explode a bunch of stuff you couldā€™ve had 3 or 4 devour attempts from your Kerberoses.

That 50% is pretty good, but Iā€™m fuzzy on the math. Doesnā€™t it only happen once? 3 or 4 Kerby casts with that starting bonus is 40-56 mana, so not sure how youā€™re getting that before somebody could get 15 with Gorgotha?

2 Likes

I have grown very fond of Gorgotha and exploders. In fact I even built an Exploders team for PVP/explore and have named it Doomstones.

Favorite thing to do? Get the AI down to its last troop with less than 5hp and cast Gorgotha to end the match so when the name of the spell comes across the screen itā€™s like Gorgotha screaming the name of the Team in Victory!

DOOMSTONES!!! :metal:

10 Likes

You donā€™t build team around Gorgotha, Gorgotha builds team around you.

9 Likes

Yes its only at the start of the battle. The math/advantage is in the teams speed and turn one first strike opportunity, to take out a critical troop on the other team. Problem is its not guaranteed by any stretch.

Edit I chose FG for the fun of building a team with a semblance of synergy. Although Gordo is a better troop.

Gorgotha all the way. He has Synergy with around 98% of all troops with the only counters being things with stun and Psion.

Nature Guardian only works with beasts and is the weakest of the 3 double convert troops if it is built in any team other than 4x beasts.

4 Likes

Went with Gorgotha, purely because I have a lot of teams with it as tank, easy to mana charge everything.

FG not so much, though it has two teams I really like.

One being:
Werewolf
Giant Spider
Forest Guardian
Pharos - Ra

Then a fun as team Iā€™ve been running this week is:

Assassin Hero (Sheggraā€™s Heart)
Sekhma
Infernal King
Forest Guardian

Talon banner to charge FG in only two green matches to start the skull blammo! So many skulls!

Gorgotha you donā€™t really build a team around. You can just throw him in front of any almost three troops and it kinda works. Hes usually an afterthought for me if I need frontline fodder for those colors and donā€™t feel like thinking a whole lot. If Iā€™m going to build a team around a spell, it is most likely going to be Forest Guardianā€™s convert, even discounting traits.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s also the question of invading or defending. I suspect Forest Guardian is more popular in defending teams, Gorgotha in invading teams.

3 Likes

Exactly what I was going to say. The AI canā€™t play Gorgotha properly. Gorgotha basically has 2 functions. Heā€™s an awesome tank and he can explode gems to fill your other troops. Now the AI canā€™t screw up the tanking part, but the filling up the other troops is not something the AI excels at. The AI keeps casting Gorgotha even though all other teams mana is completely fullā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

Yep, plus the AI takes skulls when playing gorgotha which is a waste of time given that skull damage to gorgotha is less ā€˜damageā€™ and more of a tickle

Gorgotha all the way he is the best tank in the game, can cleanse, Work in almost any team, generates mana for everything and can loop really well. I actually won a GW battle just by looping Gorgotha and Garuda. Iā€™m not a big fan of beast teams and Forest Guardian is only really good with them plus he needs alignment for his spell to work and it isnā€™t always possible to get alignment.

1 Like

The wording is part of what makes FG an easy choice. You donā€™t really build a team around Gorgothaā€™s spell. Itā€™s not even a ā€œteamā€ spell per se. To the extent you are building around him, itā€™s all about the 3rd trait not the spell. (Iā€™d argue you donā€™t even build a team around Gorgotha; you just plug him in at the top regardless of the team and heā€™ll be super useful.)

FG on the other hand has to be built around and when he is the results are phenomenal. (As evidenced by the forums since the release of GW.)

If the question were, ā€œYou can only ever have one of the two, which would you pick?ā€ then Gorg would be the easy choice b/c heā€™s so versatile and isnā€™t dependent on other troops to be effective.

2 Likes

These are some really good points.

Not on console, he used to but hasnā€™t loop casted for the last few updates now.
FG is rather nice but niche, gorgotha is a tanker who fills everyone else up and cleanses himself, itā€™s a no brainer from me tbh.

The real question- Is Gorgotha a Tommy Tanker?!

As for the topic at hand, Iā€™d rather use Gorgotha over Forest Guardian in one of my teams since Forest Guardian needs beasts around him to justify having him in your team in the first place, which I hardly do unless I want a change of scenery with beast troops.

1 Like

Forest Guardian is a key part in one of my go-to PvP teams (which is only slightly beasty). I love converters so Iā€™d pick him over Gorgotha any time. (Plus he reminds me of the Forest Spirit from Princess Mononoke, and I loved that movie.) YMMV.

1 Like

This covers it. Gorg works so well because the AI is too stupid to realize that beating him down with skulls is a total waste of time. So you skull bait and pretty much get the edge for mana and spellcasting.

I voted gorgeous simply because of his 3rd trait and exploding spell. Heā€™s a mana generator and tank in one, and he self cleanses! He operates on his own.

FG is more specialized and better than gorg when FG is with 2-3 other beasts, mostly for his fast trait for all beasts. His spell is good, but expensive, and hard to line up for free turns, in my experience. When I use beast teams, itā€™s mostly for fast Kerb devour. And letā€™s face it, everyone who uses beast teams on defense uses it for fast Kerb devour.

Delinquent I think probably covered it the way I would.

FG is a brick while Gorgotha is mortar.

2 Likes