Lost your Guild

My intention was to use Taran’s site as an example.
But why should I trust his website as much as I trust the game? I can’t see the “Certified 3rd party GoW contractor” logo anywhere on his pages. I do not want to make him/her look bad, I just say that anybody should clearly know that they should use the webpage on their own account.
But this not about Taran, it is more about trusting an unaccredited 3rd party with your account information. I agree on that too that the account information most probably was given somebody who shouldn’t be trusted.

1 Like

But you have no reason to believe that using his site puts you at a higher risk. So it’s a bad example to use his site as a reason when it has absolutely nothing to do with what’s going on here.
I could fault google.com just as much. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Dear support representatives, please visit this topic.
@Saltypatra
@Kafka

2 Likes

@awryan you do not have to link your gow account to google.com to use it.

Actually it does. It depends on which functionality you use, anything that requires you to hand over your user/password is an extra risk. It’s a bit like giving an extra set of your home keys to your neighbor for safekeeping, that’s an extra place out of your control where a burglar might obtain them from.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t have*

I am also curious how this “hack” was perpetrated. To get a hold of my account, someone would either need to crack my Steam account or physically gain control of my phone or tablet.

Or put your invite code + password (or was it e-mail and password) on their own device…

Инфинити 52, очень жаль что вы потеряли ги. Надеюсь вам ее вернут. Olimp. На слова Винса не обращай внимания, он не игрок. И глава ги он не очень был.

@Sytro to be able to do that you have to get that information. The question is how the attacker acquired the account information.

That’s a terrible case really, and the Discord chat of the guild was disbanded too. Other guilds and GMs especially would like to know what happened exactly. Just to be aware and avoid such things in future. Will there be an investigation?

1 Like

It’s terrible that the developers can’t give any answers here.For this amount of time spent on the game.I don’t wish this situation on anyone.

1 Like

If the GM took down both the guild and its discord server, would you not think that the GM actually wanted to disband the guild? I’m not convinced it was foul play

1 Like

it’s best not to speculate on these things…

@Infinity52 since there’s no reply here, maybe you can open a support ticket, https://gemsofwar.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Just a shot in the dark, but since the attackers had access to both GoW and Discord, it is more likely they had direct access to the device your guild leader plays from. Not necessarily hackers, more often than not in these cases it is a “friend” playing a “prank”, or a jealous girlfriend… I know it sounds ridiculous, but it happens.

4 Likes

It does happen. A couple of years ago, our Guild Master’s gems of war and discord accounts were both deleted by his wife. We know this because he created a new GoW account and left a message in global from his local McDonalds after being kicked from the house.
Fortunately for us, the guild wasn’t disbanded and wisely for him, he chose to quit the game and spend the time with his family.
I’m sure there were other issues involved in her decision, but we weren’t completely shocked as he worked very long hours while his wife looked after the children, and his plan was to break trophy records in his week off work…

4 Likes

Is Narkomani’s GM here trying to recover their guild too? Anyway, I feel for them. I hope for the guild to be back.

I would hope you started with this. I don’t expect the devs to comment on this here (though a “we’re aware” would be nice, devs!), account matters are not a subject of public discussions or petitions. And it should be the guild leader talking to support, I expect support would not be able to discuss what happened with the guild leader’s account with a 3rd party, even if they are affected as well.

Good luck, I hope you get your guild back.

2 Likes

You can close the topic. The issue is resolved. Thank you all for your support! You are the best!

16 Likes

Nice to hear some good news for a change. Glad it’s worked out in the end.

1 Like

@Infinity52 we still would like to hear how this happened. If you found out please share it with us.

1 Like