Is it time to nerf Psion?

Not quite but in guild wars almost every yellow day and just in general gw battles. He’s so infuriating.

1 Like

Ok im not talking about gw im talking about pvp, and for the people who play more then 1h,

this psion is beatable i know but again it’s not the problem, the problem is everyone use it, same as valkyrie before they decide the nerf her.

1 Like

I still don’t think that the problem is strictly about Psion. If they had some kind of system to encourage some variety in defence, that would help. (I don’t know what that system could be, but something to encourage people to use troops that would help others get event points would be a start - and the stat boosts that sometimes coincide with the weekly event clearly didn’t achieve that).

This just feels like the current meta to me. It isn’t nearly as bad as the Justlce League was and Troll/Kraken/Mab has pretty much come and gone since then. Things change and they’ll keep changing. I’ve seen lots of good suggestions on different ways to dismantle that Psion/Gord/Famine team that you can switch around between to give you some variety, even if you are seeing it a lot in PVP.

4 Likes

Again what was done to make it gone??? They all been nerfed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, but the troops in the usual Psion teams have been around forever. Personally, I hate running into that team in GW because I really struggle to reliably (and comfortably) beat it with a 4x color team, but in PVP, I just grab my anti-psion team and steamroll it. Again, I only do between 100 and 200 PVP’s a week, so it isn’t the same level of repetition that you deal with, but if they nerfed Psion, it wouldn’t change the way I approach those battles at all.

2 Likes

My vote goes towards the “Psion is fine in particular, but in general, the game desperately needs a meta-buster” camp.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s because the meta’s a little different for everybody, but in my meta Psion isn’t really the biggest problem.

I see a ton of different teams revolving around 8 or 9 major troops. Psion does feature on many of them, but I “feel like” I still see just as much Kraken/Mab as I see Psion.

Some of this is maybe because I have to pick and choose my 3-trophy matches. That’s where Psion pops up the most. There are a lot of teams I can take if they’re in the 9000-9300 power range, but stuff above that kicks my butt too often.

I’m curious if people who encounter “too much Psion” are mad because they don’t want to take a 2-trophy match when they face a Psion team? I’m not saying this with disdain or to judge, I get agitated too when I can’t play a match at the reward level I want. But this kind of points back to what I said about game phases: I’m missing a lot of mythics and legendaries so I just have to suck it up and take it.

I have two “buts”:

If I put myself in the shoes of a player with most, if not all, of the cards, I can see feeling more frustrated about it. I think Goblins and Psion and a few other teams can, with a lucky start, be impossible to beat with any team.

But I also think that kind of “…if they get a lucky start” is a core concept in GoW. Sometimes the gems line up really good for them and not good for you. These teams are so powerful they have a wider range of “good starts”.

Those two buts together are hard to fix.

I mean, if your team is “I win if I get 3 good starting turns”, then the only way you’re going to lose is if you don’t get 3 good starting turns. Psion is excellent at mucking up your starting turns by draining your mana. Goblins is really good at “If I get to start my engine it never stops”. Losing to these teams means they got to start their engines first.

That stuff got introduced the moment free turns, exploders, generators, and mana drainers were introduced to the game. The more I think about it the less I believe it CAN be balanced. Over and over, I keep thinking it’s easier to create a solution like, “Maybe inject some different teams into PvP” than it is to figure out how to balance all of these options.

Yeah i see it more in 3 trophy and sometimes it’s in the 2 and 3 trophy at the same time, i don’t mind playing 2-3x same team but if im getting bored i only got 1 option and it’s use gems to skip them. But

1- gems are too precious to keep skiping team

2- skip team doesn’t garantee you to see different team

So only 2 solution

1- change gems cost for gold, but it could be a problem also, if i really want to piss off someone i could keep refreshing untill i see that person and attack him again and again

2- make the player pool bigger, also it won’t
Correct the situation since you are playing again people online or been online 1h ago

I think the best solution is put 3 or 4 defense for everyone and then select a random team each time, so it prevent this kind of repetition. But again someone could decide to put the same team in each slot so we back to the same problem :slight_smile:

I do find it quite annoying when all 3 of my options are the same Psion/Famine or Dwarf teams. It doesn’t happen often, but at least a few times a week (and again, that is out of between 100 and 200 battles for me), it happens. I pick and choose my battles with the idea being that I’m trying to win 100% of the time and not leave much to chance, so this situation does bother me, but it is more that the matchmaking is broken if my 1, 2 and 3 trophy options are the same team within 500 points of each other than that I think one or more troops in that group needs to be nerfed so no one uses that team.

This. God, this. Last night I was matched up against the same player four times in 30 minutes as my 3-trophy match. Wasn’t Guild Wars supposed to help with expanding the player pool?

2 Likes

How would this piss them off?

If they’re hovering around 1900, you can knock them below the Tier 1 ranking.
If they’re barely hanging around top 100, you can knock them into the thousands (the ranking system in this game is amazing).
If they’re fighting for one of the top spots and its close, you can adjust their ranking.

Is it practical to keep knocking them down with gem refreshes (or even free refreshes if that was a thing)? No, but the chance does exist. People have done petty things for less.

1 Like

Holy RNGesus. I had no idea.

This is under the assumption after refreshing, you battle them and win over and over ad-nauseum.

I also have no clue if there is a stop in place to prevent that, but I do see a lot of the same people when I play normally.

It happened to me to face the same player several times in a day, but… How much time (not to mention gems) must you spend to track one adversary throught PVP?

Gems-wise, costly, but if you’re way above 1,900 but not close enough to top 100, then quitting out after entering a battle can replace refreshing with gems. (slight ranking loss per quit out)

I guess they can do it under 1,900 too, if they have such a vendetta.

That’s a big part of why I’ve constantly said I think it’s not cool to have defense rating tied to PvP.

The only thing you can do to control your defense rating is set a team. If you’re trying for ranked PvP, the only teams you should set are the “hard-to-defeat unless you’re lucky” meta teams. (There’s a whole sub-argument as to whether you can have a 100% win rate at all.) PvP matchups are based on these defense teams.

Probably the main reason we see non-meta teams at all is that not everyone has all the troops ready. Over time I’d expect it to get worse.

“Balance the AI to make more defense teams valuable” seems really hard. It not only requires difficult coding, it might require a rebalancing of troops to create more defense teams. I think we could spend decades of updates on it and still not be happy.

“Make defense rating a separate thing with different rewards” is a design space. Separating it from ranked PvP is ONE step, that alone won’t change how people set defense teams. Here’s a couple of other ideas that are nice:

• Base defense rewards on the ratio of wins to losses: teams that maintain 75%-80% get rewarded better than teams that maintain 90%+. (This still stinks because you have so little control.)
  • Remove the PvP defense team and use the day’s GW defense team. (This is sticky because a solution for players who aren’t in a guild must exist.)
  • Alter the weekly event structure to reward building a PvP team that meets some strange criteria.

None of these work if defense rate is tied to PvP ranking. So long as a defense loss hurts you as much as an offense loss, people are NOT going to change their teams unless the rewards are ridiculous.

I’ve always fancied the third. “+2 glory to defense matches if you use Urskayan troops”. “+500 gold per defense match if you use Mongo”. “+5 gems to tributes if you use a team with power 7000-8000 on both defense and offense”. Lots of ideas!

They’re all pretty big undertakings, but I feel like the root of the problem is “PvP defense losses hurt as much as offense losses, but all you do is set a team and roll dice.” We have to do something to encourage people to make challenging but varied PvP defense teams. So long as losses hurt, they won’t.

1 Like

I’m getting sick of troops being nerfed because of the meta and a few weeks later a new meta team is found it’s time to deal with this properly and give people a reason to use some variety in PvP defenses

3 Likes

I tried to quote and failed miserably, no idea how to do that. Anyway, I love the idea of extra glory, gold, or whatever from using the week’s event troops. Idk about making a team of a certain power level, i don’t know if that’s possible for high level players whose kingdoms are 5 starred and level 10. All of my teams are 9000 something. But the rest of that part i agree with. I think these type of rewards would be a great motivator for people to switch up their defense. For me, it’s gonna take something like that for me to change mine. It would be great of defense didn’t count against my ranked score too but for those type of rewards i’d take the hit. I really don’t see why something like that isn’t put into play. I don’t think it would make people get too many rewards and hurt the economy. I have far more invasions than defense fights, and i only have so many defense battles because i play so much, not everyone does 500 matches by wednesday, only 5have on xbox. I think this type of reward system is the only way to get rid of the meta. Yes, people will still get annoyed by sunday and sick of fighting a certain type of troop, but at least we’d know that it will be replaced with a new type of annoyance the next week. I can live with that. For the love of god, please give us a fix like this!

It should be linked to weekly events.