Is it time to nerf Psion?

So I just tested things. Warlord II, Divinion Challenge 1 (so always the same opponents).

• Team 1: Pharos/Aziris/KoS/Acolyte, Souls/Battle: 560, two casts for max souls. Slowest team, time needed is really random because it not just depends on Pharos, but also on skulls for the cleanup.
  • Team 2: TDS/Pharos/Aziris/KoS, Souls/Battle: 490, two or three casts for max souls (two if only Pharos casts). Definitely faster than the team above, but rather prone to not maxing out souls in the tested battle setup. Because of that, the average soul/time ratio of the team after ten battles was lower than the one of the first team. Also TDS died on me once, lol. He canā€™t take the abuse Pharos can and of course the doofus didnā€™t resurrect.
  • Team 3: Pharos/Valkyrie/Aziris/KoS, Souls/Battle: 490, two casts (doesnā€™t matter from which soul gatherer) for max. This team is basically the middle ground, as battles are either lightning fast (faster than team 2) or can be a real drag. Valkyrie filling fast, casting, and allowing Pharos to cast right afterwards maxes the souls, but since Valkyrie steals Mana from Aziris (both red), getting the cleanup done can really drag on. Itā€™s generally faster than team 1 for sure and can be faster than team 2, but doesnā€™t have to be. Doesnā€™t allow Pharos to one-shot the Centaur Scout anymore because Valk isnā€™t undead and a bonus is missing, which is a pain because the guy absorbs skulls with agile, making cleanup even dumber. Can also end up in a match won in 10 seconds, though.

Basically, all three teams work for soul gathering (not PVP, obviously). Kinda funny how skulls are your enemies with TDS, but really needed with the other two teams. I will still continue with using team 1 as I feel like the time saved with the other two teams doesnā€™t make up for the loss of 70 souls per battle. But that is purely this one challenge with my bonus stats and others might prefer more battles which can be done on autopilot thanks to TDS/Valk filling up and not having to do painful manual mana filling with Pharos alone.

Thatā€™s because no troop is a cute baby bunny. Baby bunnies are always exactly right at any moment.:blush:

This thread is confusing because itā€™s two discussions in one thread:

• Should Psion be nerfed?
  • How do I Pharos-Ra?

One of these things isnā€™t like the other.

3 Likes

Itā€™s representing Psionā€™s ability to destroy you with his brain. If you cannot handle the thread, you should vote for Psion-nerf.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Butā€¦ butā€¦ butā€¦

As for the teams, thereā€™s a reason for lighting fast teams while farming stones or sould. But putting back some fun in PVP and getting a good soulage is worth losing some battles more.

Beside, it seems many players are losing battles and getting no fun at all.

True.

It started very soon, when Infernus was dragged into the discussion (Nerf him!).
Then it was discussed how the game chooses defense teams in PVP (Change it!).
Then someone pointed out that the real problem here is Famine (Slow him down!)
and then I pointed out there are Mythics faster than Famine (Love it!)
And then all went downhill.

2 Likes

That is clearly an adult bunny. Take it from an expert.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I fully agree. And actually, if the Challenges would give any significant amount of gold (I get like 64 per battleā€¦) like normal explore does or drop Arcanes with explore-probability, I would switch to one of the faster teams. But Challenges areā€¦ crap. Once you finished them, there is no use for them over explore. And actually, as soon as you have TDS/Valk, not even mentioning Pharos, thereā€™s zero use even for the first-clear rewards of Challenges. Poor Challenges. Theyā€™re just good for fixed enemy setups and I havenā€™t found a use for that beyond this one thing. Normally, explore is easy enough and the increased Arcane droprate way too valuable.

Dude, I am winning PVP pretty well and I get no fun at all from it. :stuck_out_tongue: I donā€™t even want to imagine how bad it must be for those who lose a lot.
That said, I do avoid the Psion-battles (ooooh, Iā€™m on topic) because they take damn long. I rather fight two of the 1-trophy, shorter battles than a match I need to super-concentrate on to win for basically the same rewards. Also thereā€™s never a guaranteed win with Ragnagord and Famine in the mix.
ā€¦Also Iā€™m sometimes just too lazy to switch PVP teams. I find the team selection not very fast and sometimes poorly reacting to my mouse-scrolling, so that I just avoid the Psion-team out of having to switch to my other team. I am the laziest person ever.

1 Like

It was a wee baby until very recently. They grow up fast!

It happened to me when there was the perfect storm of New and Improved RNG and New Pesky Troops. Those were the alcyon days of Mab, Kraken, Mab, Wisp, Mab, Famine, Mab, Korvash and sometimes also Mab.
Funnily my reaction wasnā€™t to ask for the nerf of everything in sight. I went searching for a solid all-purpose team. Which I found on this very forum and so my sanity was saved for the second time. Love you, unknown forum member.

Really, how we went from ā€œHelp me defeat $PeskyTroopā€ to ā€œIs it time to nerfā€¦ā€?

1 Like

Now you wrong here,like @Jainus mentionned i do play lot of pvp to grind gold, i donā€™t care about speed, the fact we play against the same team over and over is really boring and i would like to see more diversity, the reason i ask if itā€™s the time for a nerf is because it seem the only way to get rid of these boring meta. But i know it will fix the problem just for a short time, untill another meta go out and everyone decide to use it

1 Like

Exactly most of people donā€™t use him in invasion cause he not doing as good then when AI is using him. So we back to then ā€œi put him in def to annoy peopleā€

This is true for so many grief troops. Basically all the Blue Brigade: Korvash, Mab, Psion, Justiceā€¦
As for putting troops in def ā€˜to annoy peopleā€™, thatā€™s a bug in the wetware.
But winning defenses also give Gems. That now are more rare than before. So the problem is not getting better.

Huh? Winning gives me a minimum of 100 gold and 3 glory, but I didnā€™t think it came with a gem, too.

You get 1 gem when your def get 6 consecutive cascades

When youā€™re back to PVP it shows how many wins, how many losses and what youā€™ve won.

In short: no.

There is absolutely no need to weaken Psion. As others have already stated, apart from being annoying, there is nothing so special about him that couldnā€™t be countered with relative ease.

2 Likes

In one word. No.
I am end game player, play PvP until I get to tier one and/ or finish event.
The only team I donā€™t play because I am soooooo tired of it is EK, Justice/Mab

3 Likes

output_k9f4ZT
Mandatory gif. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also share the feeling, but sometimes we canā€™t understand some decisions because the said decisions are steps being taken one at time with some stumblings involved that also delays the next step. I wish it would be possible to Beta-Test with players more, with a medium group of 30~50 players to get a sample of opinions.

1 Like

Just a reminder, the fact the team is easy to counter or whatever doesnā€™t change it is very boring to fight this team 1000 x in the same week, it could be 4x peasant and it would also be boring as s***

This is the same thing if you eat steak every day and week again and again. Your first week might be okay but one day you will say you want to eat something else then a damn steak :slight_smile:

1 Like

Been thinking about this a lot. In general, iā€™m not a fan of nerfs, theyā€™ve made some great troops just blah. But this team is very op, imo. I never really got the fuss about pvp until the last month or two when i started playing it 95% of the time. Idk if iā€™m considered end game, level 1147 but i only have 411 unique troops. Itā€™s hard to pinpoint which troop in this combo is the most problematic, or if itā€™s just the cascades themselves. Psionā€™s ability to not only drain but steal your mana is, i think, so frustrating because of the cascades and lucky skull drops. I canā€™t even tell you how many times iā€™ve had him tangled and heā€™s healed in one or two turns just in time for a lucky skull match. But is he worse than infernus? Donā€™t get me wrong, i love using him, heā€™s got me out of many a jam both in pvp and gw, but heā€™s been the most problematic troop for me overall. Yeah heā€™s a mythic and supposed to be powerful, but he refills himself four or five times and decimates the opposing team. This has worked to my benefit, making a comeback as my last troop with 8 health yesterday and destroying a team with three troops left. But heā€™s also the cause of 98% of my losses for the exact same reason. The combination of his storm with the explosions is just ridiculously powerful. But again, at the root of it is the way the cascades fall enable him to keep refilling and looping the other team to death. So iā€™m torn on this issue. Yes, there is definitely a problem, but how to fix it without ruining a few troops i think would be tricky. Iā€™d like to see the cascades fixed but i highly doubt that will happen.

3 Likes

There are troops that a very low cost can switch Psion to a lower position and make his trait useless.
Of course this mean building a team around them.
Or you can just place a tank on top of your team.
Itā€™s hard.

1 Like

As people have said, just use dust devil. Itā€™s guaranteed to remove the threat first turn if fully traited. Heā€™s annoying, sure buy thereā€™s more annoying troops imo. Spirit fox for one.

1 Like

I agree but do you see him in 98% of your fight?