I am tired of being Maw'ed

My level 155 phone alt was offered a ranked match against a level 1000 fully-traited Maw team. How fair is that? She won the match, but only because Maw didn’t get a chance to strike. It has become quiet tedious. Practically everyone else in the meta-game is going on and on about the mythics, and none of them faze me in the slightest. I have yet to lose a single match to a team with Famine, and only lost one match to a War team due to sleepy play. Every single loss is Maw-this and Maw-that, often due to two devours in 15 seconds. It goes totally against the spirit of the game.

Devour should work like the doubling cube in backgammon: You can use it once, and then not again unless/until your opponent uses it on you.

1 Like

By “was offered” I assume you mean “were given the choice of three battles, the hardest of which was hard.” Seems fair to me!

Also, if literally nothing else fazes you, then just skip these teams.

1 Like

To be fair, we are all pretty darn tired of being Mawed… try being a level 1001 player and getting them in half your matches… skipping doesn’t help much…

2 Likes

I agree that it’s annoying that there’s so much out of your control when fighting a Maw team. The RNG is brutal at times.

That being said, if the alternative is a 100% win rate – I’m not sure that’s much better.

I’m pretty sure they have something planned to fix it. :wink:

1 Like

The Maw has a counter like almost all other troops. Try diffrent combos till you find what works for you. Mawe is really easy to beat.

1 Like

Maw is easy to counter. Getting Devoured due to a whim of fate is not preventable (though it can be minimized).

Maw has the most powerful third trait in the game, followed by Mab’s (and then maybe Mercy’s).

I don’t foresee them nerfing Maw any further, though my favorite suggestion is still to change the third trait to:

If skull damage I do would kill a target, Devour it instead.
2 Likes

If my first unit gets devoured early i just retreat and start over. i dont waste alot of time on a losing battle. its only 8 points :slight_smile:

If only there was a spoiler video somewhere on YouTube…

1 Like

It’s easy to remember the few times we get maw’ed(in total), and easy to forget how often one run over teams after teams, Maw’ing them. :sweat:

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but they still haven’t fixed the issue where multiple skull matches in a turn have a cumulative effect on the Devour change, right? If not, I think that will help quite a bit. If so, they obviously need to do something more (presumably lower the Devour chance and/or raise the mana cost).

I’ve already made my suggestion. I’m not playing Maw and have no intention to do so. I’m not claiming that Maw is OP as it stands, but rather that the Defense meta has no practical alternative. It’s now a lot more fun with the phone alt, who gets to see a wide variety of teams. Lots of gobbos, sure, but lots of other stuff too. It feels like I’m playing the GoW that was originally desined. I’ve lost that feeling with my main hero. It won’t matter if they roll in an anti-Devour trait, it still won’t present a change of pace on the defensive side.

1 Like

But you won?

Last night my level 158 phone alt was matched with a seemingly-harmless level 114, who turned out to be fielding Gorgotha + Plague x3, all max level and fully traited. That third Plague trait is just evil, and three of them firing each turn… but there is one thing I will say about my gal, she has no fear. She dived in, whup, whap, boff… and while they got her tank, she had enough in the backups to win the match. None of the Plagues ever cast their spell. A lucky win, to be sure, but definitely good for the ego.

Now the point is, why does this nonsensical matchmaking still go on? As was alluded to in another thread, I am beginning to suspect the “Rival” mechanic is at fault. I think my main hero is getting paired up with a disproportionate # of Maw teams because I keep facing the same small set of people over and over, because they’re “rivals”. I beat them, they beat me, I beat them again… and the next thing you know I stop getting to play anyone else.

I would really like to hear the devs weigh in publicly about what is actually intended with this.

4 Likes

I think the real issue is that if you want a defensive win rate greater then 1 V to 5 D you need to field either the maw or Mab

Like the Silent One and Sheggra a little over a year ago or the 2x turn goblin shamans, these things come and the game gets jacked for a bit but the devs eventually play whack a troop and then people grumble about the nerf to their offensive team and we collectively move on to the next broken combo or troop. It’s the circle of life in this game and between the metas.

5 Likes

Meta too strong replace with better meta. Meta not good enough search for stronger meta. -read this in caveman voice to get the joke.

2 Likes

Maw punishes players for leaving skulls on the board for AI, which is such a cheap tactic, so he’s actually healthy for the game. :innocent:

Hmm… sometimes you gotta leave a skull match to them, simply cause matching them would result in a match4 or match5 for the ai.

2 Likes

Don’t read this post if you’re easily offended!

I am Maw’ed of being tired. … Warned ya! :))

2 Likes