Global Mail Exploit (Banpocalypse šŸ”„)

@Sirrian

Seriously what in the world are you doing treating players differently for THE EXACT SAME OFFENSE.

1. Ban all of them, or none.
  2. If you remove gems from accounts obtained via a glitch fineā€¦ But then give players that spent them a ā€œGem deficitā€ they must work through. Like -70,000 Gemsā€¦ after they collect 70k from play over the next few months or year they can use Gems normally again.
1 Like

Precisely. Are you sure we arenā€™t the same person? We have the same ideas and opinions on serious matters like this far too frequently.

Lol at this point you better start a new account :stuck_out_tongue:

The reason they are probably treated differently is because the ones that did not spend them probably did not because they were unsure if they would be allowed to keep them. The ones that hurried up and spent them did so because they wanted to make sure if they could not keep them they would already be gone. Most of the people that went crazy spent them would be my guess. I have no dog in the fight because I knew better and I guess all my guild mates did as well thankfully. My opinion is if you spent them and want ban cleared then you should have to pay real money for the gems you spent or the ban stays. This will make people behave in the future.

1 Like

For the guy that did it 7000 times? Yeah.

My thoughts were that the offenders would receive a deficit for the amount that they took. Someone that only took 100 or 200 mails would have a lot easier time recovering than someone that took thousands. And for endgamers, 1 or 2 thousand wouldnā€™t be a that big of a deal to recover from. Itā€™s not really fair to have such a huge disparity in punishment (or lack of) between those that spent the gems vs those that didnā€™t. Just make them earn back what they owe, and then move on. Itā€™s not wise to permaban players that have spent thousands of hours and/or dollars due to an incident where the blame primarily lies with the devs for not having any QA. This knee-jerk reaction will just piss off others that didnā€™t abuse the exploit, such as guildmates, friends, and other associates. The negative PR will propagate and ultimately hurt the devs more than the losses from a few mail exploiters.

3 Likes

That is what this Dev/Publisher team is all about though, inconsistency. The Mods of this board (not Lyya) constantly harp on people to stay on topic but check their posts, they go off topic almost constantly. Cheaters for the collusion issue with GW were given a complete pass even though that hurt a lot of other players and now this BS where some are perma-banned and others get no punishment at all other then maybe their guilds lost some trophies (which at end game are also completely worthless).

Its a very good game in spite of the Developer and Publisherā€™s erratic behavior.

Collusion was not punished because at that time there was no rule against it.

Thatā€™s funny. Because thereā€™s never been a rule about collecting mail too much either.
People shouldnā€™t need to rely on the devs to tell them whatā€™s right or wrong.
The biggest difference is simply thisā€¦
download%20(28)
Devs thoughts about Guild Wars ā†‘ā†‘ā†‘
Everything else in the game though ā†“ā†“ā†“
df0ff33f266f32214d219b927452e45fc1dffeaee2a32c2df03cac793d08d36a

1 Like

Actually it wasnā€™t collecting mail. It was abusing an exploit.

You know the difference, you just want to argue

1 Like

Line em up.
Ban 'em.

Make gaming great again.

No more exploit abuse.
Not in speedrun world records.
Not in MMO raid sequences.
Set an example in our culture.
Bring standards back.

No more Alucard Equipment Glitch in SOTN runs, yo.
Say no to instant gratification culture.
If devs didnā€™t intend it, then no, it should not be ā€˜fair gameā€™. That should not be the collective sentiment in gamer culture.

Itā€™s not ok to just take unintentional shortcuts. More communities need this ethos. Quit skipping mechanics. Quit cheating the system. Play as the devs intended.

2 Likes

I canā€™t remember when, but I think that something similar already happened in the past and that devs took the same decision

Itā€™s the only right decision they can take as long as everyone else gets the same treatment.
If the Guild suffered for it as a result, well, itā€™s still the fault of a player. Nothing can change that.

I had a really great anology about someone taking advantage of the ā€œfree samplesā€ kiosk at Walmart but I think the full comedy would be lost by this point in the thread.

2 Likes

No argument here. Read what I actually said. I was comparing it to Collusion. Saying someone shouldnā€™t need to tell anyone NOT to do it.

One thing Iā€™d like peopleā€™s opinions on is this: I had made in game purchases this past week that were between $30-$50. My account is perma-banned and Iā€™m not able to collect the items from the subscriptions for which I paid. Should I be refunded the monies I spent or should I be further punished?

My situation was that I had 500+ gems of my own, didnā€™t quite understand there was a glitch so had collected too much mail. Iā€™m not super game literate to begin with and my GM had recommended to all new players to buy armor. Iā€™m not an end game player, but somewhat new. I bought armor and was banned.

Dunno which payement method you used but you can always make a chargeback (Paypal give you 1 month time if i recall well), usually that mean getting banned but seen youā€™re already wont really make any difference.

ā€œYour situationā€ isnt so much clear tho, if you had 500+ gems on your own thatā€™s more than enough to buy both the celestial and dragon armor without using any of the 1000+ gems you got from mails (look like those banned got the mail 100+ times AND spent some of those gems too no?).

You wont get refunded by 505 nm what, thatā€™s written somewhere on tos.

Ps: i am not a super game literate either but if i get the exact same mail 100+ times can still realize something is wrong.

Um, they try to build a good environment for players, but sometimes they have different attitude to exploiting guy. As I mentioned previously, several bugs still exists, some of them will and could make player win superior advantages not only in trophy hunting, gold farming but also in guild war. However that bug still alive, and no one affected, no clear punishment for those guys or guilds. Why lots of players got banned this time? Simply because they touch the cake, and hit the profits, you see, that is one possible reason. I admit the players exploiting did something wrong, they should get punishment but in a soft way. I just feel tired and confused, global email bug and team swap bug get two different treatingā€¦and the later one has been reported a lot, but still, nothing changed. That made me sad. By the way, it is glad to see you, a great leader, one of my guild member joins your guild, he was used to be very frustrated due to devā€™s treating (he deserved the 1st prize orb, but rejected by dev) and now I feel he overcome the hard-time, you and your guild made him energetic again. thx a lot. And best wishes for all you guys.

1 Like

I do not know what glitch you are talking about that affects guild wars. Are you sure there is one. Have you tried it. I do pretty well in guild wars myself and I have never used a glitch for it because number 1 I do not need to and number 2 I did not know there was one.

Players didnt collect mail to the tune of 10s of thousands of gems without the intention to use them at some point. So if a new player bought armour after exploiting 1000 gems, that is certainly no worse than the experienced players who blagged 25k gems but didnā€™t get round to cashing them in for whatever reason. There is absolutely no difference in motive and yet the disparity in how the 2 have been treated by the devs is staggering. I agree with others who say that the reaction to this needs to be consistent. Allowing the non spenders not to be banned for exploiting the bug is sending out a clear message that devs care ONLY about coin; not about quality, not about non lucrative exploits and cheating that donā€™t impact the accounts, and not about the ripple effect that such blinkered vision will inevitably create. Ban one, ban all, or come up with a plan to recoup losses from the spenders that avoids banning, just like you did with the horders.

2 Likes

Every MMO I have played has the same rule. People who knowingly exploit a bug gets banned.

1 Like