Getting tired of Valkyrie

Are these new mechanics described anywhere? I did watch the 2.1 preview video, and have skimmed the 600+ posts in that thread, and read the “2.1 arrives” thread but it is all a bit overwhelming when I can’t see any of this stuff for myself yet. I can see that the ‘purple statue bonus’ is a 25% bonus to souls, but even post-cap, that should only get you to a maximum of 100 souls per PvP match, is that right?

I was wondering what peoples preference would be considering the dependence we have on Valkyrie as it stands.

I know I would like to keep Valkyrie as she is, and see the introduction of other mana generators equivalent to her, if the alternative is to reduce the number of earned souls.

That would be correct excluding vip levels. Since I’m vip 5, I get 25% more souls.

I’m beginning to suspect that they are not planning any major changes to the soul economy through specific troop mechanics. With the guild update, most players are going to be getting a good number of souls through guild tasks, plus there is the ‘purple statue bonus’. Those may be the improvements that Sirrian had hinted at in the past.

Personally, I don’t think that having a few Valkyrie clones with different colours would be the way to go. If they DID introduce new troops which had a similar soul-collecting mechanic, I’d rather see them combined with something else, like do damage, heal, throw a status effect, etc.

2 Likes

And you’re getting a 100% armor bonus (Deathknight or Celestial)? I’m not sure how the VIP and purple statue bonuses stack, but your new limit should be at least 110 then.

Yeah Deathknight armor. It’s definitely at least 110 souls.

That’s subject to your difficulty (for Challenges/Exploration), VIP level, and armor as well. Everyone’s cap is going to be a bit different. Max cap, I think, is now:

PvP: 40 * (1.0 + 0.5 Guardian + 1.5 VIP 13 + 1.0 Celestial/Dragon Armor) = 160
Explore: 40 * (1.0 + 0.5 Guardian + 1.5 VIP 13 + 1.0 Celestial/Dragon Armor + 1.25 Warlord IV) = 210

3 Likes

I read through this thread, interesting side conversation on systems.

Nothing changes the fact that without Valkyrie this game would be incredible boring because so few players would be able (or willing) to invest a single Soul in any troop outside the meta. To increase variety in the game Valkyrie needs a minor nerf to soul generation and the baseline defeated troop needs a major buff. In addition one could sprinkle in more Soul generation on so other troops…

I know some PC players mentioned they don’t need her anymore at level 800ish imagine if Valkyrie did not exist you would need to be Level 9,600 (assuming x12) to be in the same position troop wise. Good luck with that.

One more thing post felt like déjà vu, I’m sure I typed this message up months and months ago.

2 Likes

Thanks for the formulas - that helps.

If I’m understanding correctly, the guild update isn’t really doing much about the Valkyrie problem then. More guilds are likely to collect some bonus souls from tasks (say 2500 if you get to level 7 in purple), but the guardian bonus is only going to be worth 2 extra souls per battle if you’re not using Valk, and 20 souls per battle if you are.

Yeah. Perversely, any multiplier they decide to add to soul generation actually exacerbates the discrepancy.

3 Likes

That’s funny - I edited that word out of my reply because I didn’t want to sound too nerdy. Not an issue for you, I guess. :wink:

1 Like

It seem to be added to the multiplier the same way armor and vip bonuses do. before the update it said for me “Souls x1.5”, now it’s “Souls x2”. So yes, it raises the cap the same way, and no change to the base cap.

1 Like

You’re assuming that human psychology is an independent cause, rather than a product of the environment. Ignoring a variable isn’t the same as assuming it has no effect on the outcome – it’s how you determine whether or not that variable has an impact. Assuming any particular impact injects bias into your analysis. If you’re trying to measure what happens, making assumptions about why it happens in advance is bound to skew your data.

1 Like

Fortunately, we do not apply psychology in this way when we cross-examine it with a scientific or mathematical principle.

And, at any rate, I’m going to trust my degree and multiple years of schooling compared to your opinion 105 times out of 100.

1 Like

Lmao I never saw that you edited “Please don’t whip me again,” into your comment. I just meant you are on console and not pc so you wouldn’t know.

1 Like

Dont explain yourself to me!

1 Like

Giving people worse options is a valid strategy for making people appreciate the only other available option even more. I know this is completely out of the context of the thread and probably appears to be for the point of contradiction, but this actually made me think about it for a minute and I thought it was amusing so I might as well share.

Given a hypothetical situation where X is the main available option and giving people an even better choice would beout of the question, a spiteful deity may give them Y and Z, which are options that are slightly better but with a steep downside as to make it not worthwhile.

Say if a troop were introduced that gives double the amount of Valk’s souls on cast, didn’t have Necromancy, and killed an ally at random on cast and/or gave all enemies 20+(2*magic) life boosted by blues on the board. That would hypothetically make Valkyrie look more appealing in contrast. Not suggesting this as a solution, but it was in interesting train of thought.

1 Like

And this is how gyms survive. Going to the gym is the most efficient but least fun way to get fit. People get gym memberships but they hate actually going to the gym. So then they avoid the gym. Which means they’re not getting fit at all, efficiently or otherwise.

It’s so much easier to form a habit around an exercise you enjoy–like a sport–than one you loathe.

On a related note: the soul tasks give pretty substantial rewards. Combine that with the new Dragon Soul troop & I think we are getting a nice variety of options. (Arena is also really great.)

Well, our strategies are similar, if nothing else.

Interesting thread…

Now I’m going to take my Valkyrie cards and go play by myself in the corner, so I don’t get hit in the head with any Philosophy or Psychology books!!