Enter the Shocktopus!

Perhaps they are waiting to gift it with the release of 3.3, but that does go against what was said in the other Tentacle Love joke thread… :thinking:

Either way, I am looking forward to getting my copy!

My forge jewels were a little uneven (waiting for a remark from @en9nhcet), so I tried two summoning stones and got him.

I think people tried to avoid being overly generous and later get very disappointed if a nerf was issued. In general is a good troop, it can cause some decent true damage, some board modification and can pratically recharge itself picking green or yellow or help an ally with mana.

Having Armored is not that bad, at least not that BAD like “Not having Armored” or being an “Evil French-Canadian” like @Venar ( :wink: ). But maybe it’s just that it does a lot of stuff and is not totally focused on doing less stuff with better results, tanking damage in this particular case.

2 Likes

I’ve had some success in a fast True Damage deck, mixing quick true damage an board modifications (Shocktopus with Spirit Fox)

2 Likes

Well, he would definitely not have been nerfed with 3-4 more magic and Stoneskin trait instead of Armored. And a better first trait as well. :sweat_smile:

It’s bad compared to Stoneskin, which he absolutely could have had.

And one last thing @Ivar. As you already picked a defending side for the troop created which u are fully allowed to, its no need for me to continue with my opinion. It won’t change. My general message and opinion was, we had the chance to create something outstanding or really good, but we failed. I blame myself and everyone else for it.

1 Like

Im lost salty said it will be out on valentine day but it’s already february 15 in australia

At the time it was being created, we didn’t had the current meta in place so it sort of lost it’s appeal and relevancy i guess. It also took a looooooooooooooooooooooong time until we could get our hands on it… :expressionless:

I can imagine it working. It does resembles our old style of gameplay with some more decisions involved, unlike nowadays. We click something, a bunch of things explodes, gems start to cascade, 287 buffs and debuffs start flashing on the screen, sirens start to wailing, a japanese man dressed as a chicken does a moonwalk playing guitar while a pink velociraptor reads poetry.

4 Likes

Mmm, I just thought… maybe if I had Fiery Fire to the mix…
Shockto,
Spirit Fox
Titania or Pixie
Dancing Panda with a Fedora.

Could work.

1 Like

Shocktopus
Spirit Fox
Pixie
Giant Spider

Would probably give the player a good edge, if you manage the board really well your Spider will give you room (as the purple gems are matched and disappear) for new yellow gems to pop up, then Pixie and Spirit Fox can do nice damage. Shocktopus can help the spider with mana and can instantly fills Pixie mana.

Feels like a reasonable low-rarity Green team for low-level players to use on GW. Maybe @efh313 would like to add it into the GoW Team Compedium.

Side Note: Naga Queen and Dark maiden also adds tons of life into the gameplay to help Shocktopus, might want to consider something with them too.

I’ve mixed views on this.

I’d like the troop to actually get seen and used, else why bother with the competition and that feels a shame.

I also feel there’s more than enough power creep and this competition wasn’t needed to add to it.

I wish I had mixed views too.

Shocktopus should be our in game mail about the same time we were given the Christmas gifts. Which was 6 or 5 hours before daily reset I think.

As one of the several contributors who “failed” you, I think you could use to be a little less melodramatic and judgemental. It’s a new troop with a novel design, an interesting and strategic spell mechanic, and a number of different playstyle niches it could fill. On a whole, I’d say that the abilities of the troop are a little out there, but that’s mostly due to the format of the contest rather than any one person’s decisions. Whining that it’s not a second Khorvash and then blaming the community at large just makes you look like a petulant child throwing yet another tantrum.

8 Likes

Well, my opinion was that we really had the chance creating something really nice, and failed. I see people complain almost every week about the troops that is created by the devs, that they are too weak etc. Why even complain when we does not even manage to create something extraordinary when we ourselves have the chance? And that is probably the only chance we ever will get.

Thank you.

4 Likes

It looked like eika blamed herself along with the community for the way the troop turned out so calling her a “petulant child throwing yet another tantrum” is wholly unnecessary and pointlessly insulting imo. Personally i think this troop is underwhelming at best but that is due to the “popularity contest” that was its genesis.

2 Likes

Sorry for the confusion behind my nick, but I am a male. Eika means The Oak in Norwegian, a nick I fancy cuz I am a tall guy. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh my! I am so sorry! I meant no offence

1 Like

So I want to like the Shocktopus.

2 things I would love to see:

1. Stoneskin vs Armored. Armored isn’t enough to place it in the first slot sadly.

and the very most important thing:

1. The AI really needs to be retooled with this troop. It just doesn’t work. It targets gems typically based on Ally colors (usually itself) instead of enemy colors. If it can’t really benefit ally colors, it then targets gems that neither side uses, which is a waste of time. Kind of reminds me of the guild guardian troops that aren’t Justice.

2a. If its going to waste time casting on colors that neither side uses, it should be given a base line damage to prevent it from casting duds. Like deal 5 True Damage to all + X bonus damage to enemies using that color.

My two cents that aren’t worth much.

3 Likes

It works well also with Mab. Then again, an old pair of socks work well with Mab.
But technically, Mab keeps the other team frozen. Once the opponent tries to loop (by spawning Blue in Justice league, or Red with Infernus, etc, so basically after a Guardian or Troll shot) and fills the board with over 15 gems of a color, the result is nice.

Not if you try to use that old pair of socks to keep your feet from freezing.

…I’ll go away now.:see_no_evil:

2 Likes