Developer Q & A

BMaybe.
We’ll see.
I think the main concern, as a developer, is to prevent the game from going stale.
Imagine a shooter with many weapons and armor, where player use different style (heavy/light, stealth or grenades, etc) and with new stuff every week.
Then one day is become obvious that the « super gun » kills everyone faster and easier, and that the « power armor » stops everything but the supergun.
Then everyone uses that. Nobody cares for new weapon. And after a few months everybody quits.

I love exploders. 90% of my current team explode stuff.
But… look how the latest troops were received.
No new card made it in the play-teams for at least two months.

Even today’s troop, a converter that summons Spirit Fox, that would have been insane 2 years ago, will probably won’t see much play because it’s not worth it anymore to spam 1 color when you can just « click boom » and collect all colors.

(For these colors you are actually gonna win faster with Azura/Poison Master/Fizzbang, heck, even Draconian Rogue, with less thinking)

Exploding is fun, but the game is going a dangerous slope of losing strategy and going stale.

3 Likes

I agree but you are not getting my point.
Nerfing explosions to generate 50% instead of 70% mana won’t do anything to the meta.
Do you think because Infernus who deals 140ish damage including exploded skulls and also fills half his team suddenly gets benched and replaced with stuff like Shadow Dragon or Jarl Firemantle because he then only generates 20 instead of the 30 mana for his team? Hell no.
But what that nerf sure will do is eliminating the single gem exploders and the more subtle multi-exploders that focus on generating mana and not also do insane damage in addition. Troops we already don’t play anymore because you know they only do this one thing kinda ok-ish.

3 Likes

Plenty of people use Diviner and Mercy in their Divine teams. Converters still have value, but its fun to pretend that Exploders cause all of the problems, including the current OPness of the 2 new Doomskulls troops.

2 Likes

Mercy is used for her empowerment, Diviner for the enchanting, both because they fill Infernus quicker, to explode stuff.

Gouki, I agree.
I mean, exploders have been used to fill troops for a long time. Gorgotha, Abynissia, and of course Ragnagord, a guy with no ability but to start half full.

I think indeed the Doomskull and increased storm conditions make them more reliable for an extra-turn.
Troops that , in addition, kill stuff (Infernus, TDS, World Breaker, Goblins) have just switched the balance.
Maybe a good compromise would be different
« Tier » of mana creation.
Say « Flesh Golem » would generate 80%, but King Mikael (same explosion) would generate 70% because he does more.

Same, Ragna could keep his generating rate, but Infernus would be lowered to 50%…

2 Likes

Okay after watching the stream, I understand why they can’t really make th hero class tied to a certain team for now due to too much stuff on 3.5 update. But changing the gems cost from 50 to 5 that is easily feasible.

The thing is when that class change cost was implemented nor Raid or Invasion was present. Now we need to switch hero class to do these mode and then if we want to use a Dragon team or giant team on PVP we need to switch to a different hero class. And now we can’t do that the same day unless we pay a ridiculous 50 gems.

To the person that said on stream that getting kingdom stars with their new system would be harder, there is no way it can be harder than what it is now. It takes so much time to increase stars at the moment. Many kingdom don’t have enough troops period. And even then it takes a ton of souls, traitstone and luck from chests to raise kingdom stars.

My first thought on this is as always, how is it possible this wasn’t noticed in “testing”?

Second thought is as usual they want to treat the symptom and not the actual problem. Leave mana generation as it is please, it’s the doomstorm/skulls that are the problem!!! How about you fix those instead. Less doomskulls appear during doomstorm would be the obvious solution to me. And/or take away or reduce the +5 damage.

This worries me greatly and smells of reducing tribute rewards. Probably another gem sink in order to get better tributes from now on.

5 Likes

The way it is now though is kingdom stars increase naturally as we collect and upgrade our troops which is what we would do anyway. The new system sounds like we will still do that PLUS spend x amount of resources to increase kingdom.

2 Likes

Each kingdom will have a list of achievements to complete like before. I didn’t understand that we will have to spend ressources…
The bad news is that pet is going to be part of these achievements :frowning: .

Oh ye of so little faith…

I think of all sorts of ways to make kingdom leveling more difficult. With a task/quest system being implemented for raising a kingdom star, the sky is the limit for what could be required. A couple of potential roadblocks were implicitly mentioned during the stream.

I personally believe that the task system allows for more kingdom-thematic requirements for stars, instead of just throwing more troops, traits, and levels to determine kingdom power. Granted, I expect the requirements to be rather simple at lower star ratings and considerably more difficult/time consuming at higher star ratings.

The implication in grandfathering kingdom stars is that it implies that after the patch, a kingdom may not necessarily meet the requirements of being that star rarity under the new system. As the devs said that there would not be any kingdom star downgrades, raising kingdom stars now can only be advantageous to players.

3 Likes

Oh ya because getting a Mythic from chest in order to have enough troops to raise a kingdom star is so easy…

I think that quests or achievements whatever will be better than the months it takes now to get to the stars above 5 as a f2p.

Anyway we will see.

So they are going to nerf the 38 troops that explode that were working ok before, because of 4 troops that create doomskulls now? Ridiculous.

7 Likes

“We have a long standing mechanic in this game. We introduced a new one and they clash. We could rework our idea for the new mechanic, but we’d rather butcher the old one and call it even.”

They are better than that, aren’t they? Common, devs! I’m gonna play regardless and I’m not saying I won’t, but common! Don’t butcher long standing things in favor of new ones. It isn’t cool.

4 Likes

Did anyone ask why there isn’t going to be a 3.4.5 to fix all the bugs?

I don’t believe that the card requirement is going away at all. It can be easily reshaped into a single requirement under the new system. It was even implied during the stream.

For illustrative purposes only, Ghulvania 9-star requirements might look somewhat like this (using 3 requirements as a purely made up on the spot number of requirements):

— Fully ascend, level, and trait 17 troops from this kingdom. (Progress: 17/17)
— XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
— XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The first line neatly compresses the currently requirement for 9 kingdom stars into a single line, as it does take 17 maxed out kingdom troops to reach 9 stars of kingdom power.

The second and third lines represent what new requirements would be added in addition to the unit requirement. It’s what these lines represent which require the grandfathering of kingdom star rarities, as these requirements might not be met on day 1 of the new system automatically.

But, yes, we shall see what the devs have in store for us. :+1:

4 Likes

You forget the poor excuse for not adding new weapons in the Soulforge: too much weapons so players will have to scroll… Possible solution: add a rotation for weapons…

1 Like

Better solution: use a better interface with filters, including a filter for “unowned” and a sort by “time remaining” or “new”. If this is the reason we don’t have a sensible length crafting rotation for legendary (and slowly but surely, mythic) troops also, the same thing can be applied there.

2 Likes

2nd worst excuse ever…

First one… “People weren’t using them right, so we removed them”.
In reference to the Gem Priority sliders for Defenses.

(Any idea or thoughts in this post are that of my own. They do not reflect the words said by any dev to me. In neither a public nor private conversation.)

2 Likes

Maybe we would have known how to use it right if they told us? 75% of the stuff in this game is “figure it out”. What they consider a tutorial or manual or how to or whatever you want to call it, is a joke, at best. Especially, when I started, about a year and a half ago. And… If you’re not on these forums, you’re left out in the dark/cold even more than the rest of us.

As I said before, I don’t expect a 50 page manual to tell me how to do every little thing, but it should be better than the current way of “Lets see how little info we can give them and hope they figure it out”

2 Likes

Trust me, they are completely re doing the star system with purple and aqua color stars coming. Yes the current stars will carry over but I’d be willing to bet anything the current stuff we get from having 9* kingdoms will probably require 15* or something in new system. I guarantee you we will get less tribute when this is released and we’ll have to work back up slowly to the nice tributes we get now.

4 Likes