Developer Q & A

That one seems quite interesting.

Nim and Sirrian talk about why this simple change is a major problem to fix for about a good five minutes on the stream.

Short version is that the code in question is a very old legacy piece of coding and there is a very significant fear of breaking most of the game systems by changing something that has a metric ton of other code built on top of it over the years. The devs decided to not attempt this in 3.5, given that a large number of other in-game systems are being completely overhauled. When it does get fixed, the intent is to allow class changes from inside the team building screen.

6 Likes

Oh ok It make sense now. Ya that makes that decision harder.

I really don’t know how their codes is structured and if there is obvious comment or way to separate section etc.

When I was coding, my code looked quite ugly sometime. I am not organized at all. Maybe it is their case to a certain degree.

I’ll go watch the stream later today.

Thanks for telling me Lyrian

Upwards in the thread, I posted a long post describing diminishing returns with the pet system as it currently stands.

Reading between the lines with some of the statements that were presented on stream, the incentive is being added without changing/nerfing all of the existing pets.

If what I’m thinking is what is going to happen, that’s a deliciously devious way to address the problem in an effective manner.

To quote the original Jurassic Park, “Clever Girl.”

2 Likes

It should take 5 seconds to drop the price to 0 gem…
The excuse of the legacy code it’s for why it’s not possible to have a Hero class by team.

The reason for the fee is that changing class like we do actually is a bad design (i.e. return on the map, click on Hero, change class etc.). So devs want to somewhat hide it because with a fee, you’re not going to change it often.
I still prefer to have a crappy-designed “change your class” than a 50-gems one…

And thanks for the summary :wink: .

7 Likes

oO that’s interesting. So the legacy code is not for the gem price of class changes hmmm

Hello, I try to give my points…:rofl:

Is possible to make a stream in other time zone?
I´m not the only one who haven´t had a chance to view one because in Europe mostly of the people are sleeping.:sleeping_bed:

Are the new pets release on Wednesday going to be on the pool 3 or 4 weeks later than the event?
That was said and I spend some gems I never spent if I know is on the pool the next day.:confused:

Any possibility to had a place to ask devs for a quickly ban of a troll in any channel as fast as possible, before they do more damage?
Normally in weekend is impossible to make nothing against those people and they are a lot of childs playing the game :thinking:

Is there any strange ratio of pets, on the ones given in pet rescues?
Is really strange I always get 1, the one I get winning the 8 stage. Mostly 1, a few times 2 and I see lot of people taking 3 , 4 or more everytime…lol…Maybe I’m the unluckiest
:disappointed_relieved:

‘and there is a very significant fear of breaking most of the game systems’

@Saltypatra Next live stream, lets see how broken the game is when they set hero class change to 0 gems. Live stream beta test!

1 Like

You can watch the stream later, so you see what everyone else does, just not live.

Yes they are in the pool 3-4 weeks later, they said so in the announcement of the 1st new pet last week.

As for ratio of pets, Ive had everything from 1 to 5 copies of a pet drop.

1 Like

Maybe I want to ask something in live stream

Yes they said that, 3 or 4 weeks but the mini-wyrm was available the next day also, I have a pet rescue of him.

I never get 5 pets in a row and I have all the 37 and see lot of them everyday. I´m unlucky :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

I would like to know about UPGRADE WEAPON and INGOTS
where will we get them? in new events? in guild tasks or in the vault ?

Thanks for the correction, @turintuor.

I knew I had some niggling feeling the back of my mind that I was mixing something up when I was typing that at 2:30 in the morning.

The chance of rolling a pet in a basket is fairly low, with the exception of Stage 8, where the pet is guaranteed. The game makes 7 rolls, one for each previous stage. Rough thoughts says the pet rate isn’t any higher than 10-15%ish, yielding most of the time 1-2 pets per run (someone should really track that).

Although, once in a blue moon, RNG will bless you with a run like Smash showed. It can definitely happen, but don’t expect that to be a common result of a pet rescue.

1 Like

I really liked the dev stream last night. It’s cool to see how enthusiastic Nim and Sirrian are about the game.
(I especially gigglesnorted at the naughty bit. :P)

But, I digress…

:heart_eyes_cat: What I loved:

• Daily tasks for PC/Mobile
  • Seasonal and special event pets
  • More loot pets in the future
  • Soul forge weapon enhancements
  • Hero class rework

:pouting_cat: What I didn’t like:

• Nerf to explosions

:scream_cat: What made me perplexed:

• Kingdom star rework: I’m not sure what I feel about this one. I agree that the star leveling process is pretty unintuitive and esoteric to new players. So, I can see the need to rework it. I guess I’ll have to wait and see how this new quest/task system will work.
9 Likes

Totally agree with this. I feel at the moment that the explosions is perfect since we get fewer extra turns from them than before(my experience). I also might be one of those that does not play with the Doomskull troops a lot even if it is very powerful when u get it going etc, but that is not always the case. However it has been fun to mess around with these two new legendary troops. Will I use Doomskull anymore after the upcoming nerf? No, I am afraid I won’t use them at all.

3 Likes

I would like to see it as an achievement cause this is the hardest thing you can achieve in the game and it deserve a big 100 gamerscore points to do it

1 Like

hard or the most p2w thing in the game?xD

You not forced to pay, lot of game got very hard achievement you need to spend lot of time to achieve it. As exemple gear of war “seriously” achievement asking you to do 1M kills

I think the reason for the adjustment to explosion is that it’s become the only way to play at the moment.

GoW was a game of Gem-Matching to gather mana to cast spells and sometimes attack.

No one does that anymore. There is no match making, no analyzing the field, no decision (*).

You just blow stuff up and giggle, blow more stuff up, and mostly win, sometimes lose. Empowered troop can have you win games without matching a single gem.
I bet the choice to nerf comes from statistic showing 90% of games are played around explosions (Infernus, TDS, etc…) thus removing any form of strategy once the game starts.

(*) unless you like to play longer, less efficient games on purpose.

2 Likes

Nerfing explosions is just attacking a secondary symptom, not tackling the problem. This will just render reasonably balanced exploder troops that focus on exploding for managain and more so the ones that are significantly underpowered even more useless than they are now, while massively overstuffed troops like Infernus or Doomies will still deal bonkers damage while also filling half their team.
This is purely a balancing problem with troops that just do too much at once and all of it way too well and not one of the explode mechanic in general.

9 Likes