Be a player, not a customer?

This alone requires some extra consideration, were these game originally created/released in Japan/China (Asia in general)? If the answer is yes, then it’s a little unfair to compare them with an ocidental game… The markets are quite different and that weighs a lot when you must compare the profits, playerbase, and such. Just saying.

Ok, now that I have reviewed the definition of “boast”, I stand by my words.

1 Like

The american version of Fate GO is often top 50 worldwide,and thats just the american,thats why i said what i said.The game has multiple version for different regions,all has their profit shown invidually.The versions are the same mostly,but they are only available to different regions,while GoW is just 1 simple version,that everyone plays worldwide.I mostly talk about the american version,but you can talk about any version,because the potential playerbase is way lower than for GoW due to the region lock.

1 Like

Let me help you out in case you don’t have an econ book handy.

The Sunk Cost Fallacy. The Misconception: You make rational decisions based on the future value of objects, investments and experiences. The Truth: Your decisions are tainted by the emotional investments you accumulate, and the more you invest in something the harder it becomes to abandon it.

5 Likes

This is true to many routines, but specially true in my experience (personnal and observation of others in the respective communities) with F2P games.

4 Likes

This is why you still have people playing a game that seems to make them miserable.

11 Likes

Eh, I see nothing wrong with micro transactions. If I want it, I will buy it. I’m sure everyone spends money on what other people would consider stupid crap. Hell, me personally I’m ready drop a bundle of cash on this game myself but there’s two things stopping me:

1. I’m about to buy a PS4 Bro God of War edition and
  2. I just bought 318 out of a Satellite my friend had until some jerk off plowed into it at the Greek Gyro place.

Barring those two things there is no other reason as to why I haven’t dropped hundreds on this game yet and I just started about a month ago. When it comes to money the only rule I have is if you want it, work your butt off for it and if that’s not enough go out and work harder.

2 Likes

You my friend are the target customer. This is what I’m trying to get @awryan to understand. He is an endgame player who has already spent at least $1000 on gems of war. The publisher and the devs don’t care if he stops spending money, but his (and mine) playing activity levels drive the game to new players who are the ones who spend the most.

2 Likes

This is correct. As a game with social aspects, a player who fosters or bolsters a community (forum, guild, what-have-you) is important as a secondary/indirect revenue driver.

5 Likes

Well this customer is now advising other customers not to spend money on GoW.

So if I do have any “power” then it’s now being used to have people play, but play for free.

Seems like a wiser strategy than just resenting the game over time enough to eventually quit it completely.

Let’s not forget the point of this forums thread.

“Trying to cause change is pointless”.

I prefer to live in a better world than that narrative… And I hope to eventually play a better game than that as well. I had zero issues with any changes prior to 3.3… so hopefully 3.3 is looked at in the future as similar to “the new coke”.

But you aren’t doing that. New players have not heard of your “protest” and they are the ones more likely to spend money. But you are achieving the opposite of your desired effect, by continuing to play at a “60+ LT/wk” level you are helping to drive the game to new customers. The very new customers who will likely spend money while the devs laugh at your silly protest, still holding the $1000 you have spent already. They aren’t the only ones laughing at you either as evidenced by the creation of this thread.

Lol… So your advice is to do nothing or quit the game? So basically “words don’t matter”. My God it must be so much easier to judge those who try to cause change. Rather than try to do anything yourself.

Unless you can predict the future… Your whole argument is based on assumptions. You have no idea of the conversations I’ve had with the devs due to my protest. Nor will I violate their trust by making the conversations public.

You may feel like your time is better spent on the forums complaining about people complaining. Mine is much better spent playing the game or trying (even in vain) to make the game better. This is my last reply to you since arguing is futile and why more people on the forums choose to read rather than voice their thoughts. Good day sir.

Oh, I apologize. I wasn’t aware you were tight with the devs and have conversations with them all the time. I would think, however, if that were that the case you wouldnt need to resort to such juvenile tactics as changing your name in protest. I would think that your issues would be discussed in one of your many meetings with them and not advertised to everyone. Forgive me my skepticism of these “top secret meetings” this claim smells like your 60+ LT claim which also smells like :poop:

Personally, if I disliked a game I’d just stop playing it.

5 Likes

I just wanted to note. Maybe some will agree and some will disagree. It is after all my thoughts only. I find having an open statement about a game ie small rants here and there, or ‘so so [name of game here] sux’. Does so little in the grand scheme of things. That I can hardly fathom it being an applicable or worthwhile ‘protest’ over simply being inconsequential. If those involved truly feel strongly about something, then it may warrant a bit more effort. As all this equates out to being is [child slams door, but will eventually come out of their room for dinner]. My kids do this as all kids do, waiting them out, and just moving on always fixes it. They give up and just resume other activities.

tl;dr : Making names or small comments, is not a sufficient means for change. It takes a lot more of an undertaking.

Maybe make a well thought out petition and get others to sign it. And after x amount of people sign it submitting it to the developers for review might be one step. If a petition sounds like a good step here is just a random site for it : Start a Petition · Change.org.

In the end not starting a debate, just being helpful on one end, sharing thoughts on the other.

@Denthegod I agree with you there. I just find a new game to play.

2 Likes

It does not really matter what most people think of his protest, if it helps HIM feel better, and he is doing it in a civilized manner. Who cares.

2 Likes

What do you recommend? I love the game, I hate most of the changes in 3.3.

Since you brought your kids up. Do you also advice them to just quit something they care about? The second they don’t enjoy it as much they usually do.

Your petition suggestion requires a lot more time than I’m willing to give. The name change took 30 seconds and 200 gems (some did it for free). If it does noting to change then I’m okay with it. Still better than doing nothing… Even if all I did was slam the door shut.

@fishinia I fully agree. If it makes someone feel better and its harmless, then by all means. I do think from reading the thread he wants a larger impact than just himself. So made a suggestion to help that end means.

edit I will withdraw my initial comment above on him wanting a larger impact. As he replied after I replied to you. And said its more effort than he is willing to give. So that simply is that I would say. And will just adhere to if it makes him feel better, go for it. As you can’t create change with little to no effort.

1 Like

Can’t you see how childish that is? Or why people are laughing at you?

I’m simply answering questions about it. Those who actually want information. I’m happy to give it to. Those who are just here for drama I’m doing my best to ignore.