A New Mythic Approaches - King Bloodwood

I’m also surprised at the reactions here; it was pretty clear what Bloodwood does and does not do. It hits for 230ish (90+70x2) splash damage, plus the 40 life stolen, while passively inflicting bleed and entangle. Yes that damage is sharply reduced as the opponent’s team gets smaller, and you do need to loop to get the most out of its statuses (and may need the Maraji Queen’s curse to deal with immunities/bless). But it’s not like there’s really any randomness to what the troop does, right?

1 Like

The interesting question to me becomes which Forest of Thorns Mythic should newer players craft for kingdom power levels? This is the first 2-mythic kingdom where it’s actually a tough call (well, unless you count poor Grosh-Nak). Yasmine’s Chosen has loop potential, but her damage is pretty bad by current standards. Bloodwood does better damage, but no board control.

I would tend to favor King Bloodwood, as I’m just not crazy about random gem generation, and would rather run elementals than divines, but it could go either way, depending on what else you like to use.

1 Like

Yeah what I meant by “sneaky good” is I was kind of scratching my chin and thinking “this is either a D or an A+ and I’m not sure exactly which of those two so I bet by the time I get home from work other people will have figured it out.”

1 Like

Well the 230 total damage you listed looks impressive but that’s the best case scenario. Even in a setup I tried that maximized bleed, it didn’t really kill as fast as I expected. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s a weak troop at all but I do wonder if it’s really any better than other damage troops that require less setup. How does King Bloodwood on average (i.e. at half its max potential boost ) compare to the other mythics?

My wager is this is one of the mythics that isn’t upsetting if it’s your first mythic pull ever, but by the time you’ve got the utility ones like Irongut or high-end weapons like Rope Dart you’re not quite so entertained by troops with this power level. A couple of years ago this would’ve been amazing, now if a troop isn’t playing at least three roles on a team it doesn’t really make a dent in endgame strategy.

2 Likes

The lowest damage cast I’ve seen so far is 70 on the first target, so approx 175 total damage. YMMV. I think my base is 30 so that’s 5 boosts.

EDIT: I originally thought the boost ratio applied to stacks of bleed, so it would be possible theoretically to have 20 boosts. But I guess max boosts is 8 if it doesn’t count stacks, just bleeding “enemies”? This does cap the damage ceiling much much lower.

Maybe even just several months ago, before we had so many 10-star kingdoms with extra stat boosts, and fewer factions available giving renown stat boats, and before pets could give 2 levels of stat boosts. It can add up to a lot of extra life and armor now, one full year ago it could have been brutal! Then again Bleed didn’t exist a year ago either so you’d only get half the boost :wink:

EDIT: reminded me of this thread of fire giant losing 1-shot power thanks to new life/armor kingdoms, magic is slow to increase compared to other stats Let's add Magic to the list of things to review

1 Like

The problem I have with this mythic is the damage is too low. It feels like a half-assed mix of ketras and drak. The damage has no scaling, no board control, or enemy control. It is also too easy to counter with impervious and cleanse.

It’s not bad enough to throw in the trash mythics pile, but will probably be in the running for most forgettable. At least most older mythics are rarely used as the game as made most of their abilities obsolete.

This one went straight to the chopping block.

1 Like

I’d say you’re not using Bloodwood properly or facing an unusually status-immune team if you’re only triggering a 4x boost with Bloodwood (or you have the opponent down to two troops). Even then, you’re looking at 150+40 = 190 damage on a 4-troop team. That’s still not bad.

1 Like

I completely forgot about the life steal! My numbers above could be higher by +40 also, I think this troop has a place even if it’s not end-game meta OP. A guildmate around lvl 500 got one, curious to see how it does in the mid game