The 3rd GoW Forum Fantasy Series - Round 1: 1 vs 16

Welcome one and all to the Gems of War Forum Fantasy contest, series 3! Everyone is welcome to vote in each match and your vote will determine who wins and advances on to the next round. Here are some guidelines to follow when deciding on who to vote.

• Vote according to your own rules. Is it a best of whatever? Is it Player vs Player or AI vs AI? You can choose, but always assume it is a fair fight.
  • Each troop and their rarity will be listed below. For exact stats, a link will be provided using @Lyya’s fantastic database application so you can see exactly what each troop can do, how strong they are, and other bonuses they may receive.
  • All troops are fully traited as well, so keep this in mind as it may not be reflected in the list.

With that, let’s get onto the matches!

First Round: #1 Machiknight vs. #16 Shiratori

User: @Machiknight

Banner: Desert Banner (+1 Yellow Match, +1 Brown Match)

Troops and Position:
Herdmaster (Legendary)
The Great Maw (Legendary)
Soothsayer (Rare)
Ragnagord (Epic)

TEAM SUMMARY

VS

User: @Shiratori

Banner: Woodland Banner (+2 Green Matches)

Troops and Position:
Goblin (Rare)
Hobgoblin (Mythic)
Goblin Shaman (Rare)
Goblin King (Mythic)

TEAM SUMMARY

• Machiknight
  • Shiratori

0 voters

POLL ENDS: SUNDAY 6/12/16 at 12PM Central Time

LINKS
1 VS 16
2 VS 15
3 VS 14
4 VS 13
5 VS 12
6 VS 11
7 VS 10
8 VS 9

Good luck one and all!

1 Like

ecstatic horse noises

Well this is a very interesting start, goblins must really be perceived to be extra powerful for me to have such a low amount of the vote!

My team has one goal, to get the Maw charged up as fast as possible. With that being said, I pop off Soothsayer right out of the gate, targeting as many reds as possible to fill up Ragnagord. Most likely filling him in a single execution due to his FAST trait. Once Ragnagord fills up he uses his power targeting either yellow or purple whichever is more spread out throughout the board, filling up Herdmaster. Herdmaster also explodes, and by this point Maw should be filled up as well.

I use Maw to consume the Goblin King, then continue to spam explodes ruining any kind of board setup or control the opponent has, and killing his troops through random skull drops. Once Herdmaster dies, it’s all downhill as Maw consumes troop after troop.

So we’re assuming they haven’t patched this yet? (Who am I kidding? I run a Maw team in PvP)

Well, things are played with the presumption that effects run the way they should and not the by-product of any glitches.

The fact that there’s no skull maker makes Hunger less reliable and more reliant on luck.
Though eating Goblin King would certainly create quite the wall to get past.

My main issue with this statement is that you need 7 mana to fill him up after Fast. And getting 7 reds in a line up with a single purple is not the easiest thing in the world. (I seem to average 5 mana each time I use Soothsayer), so you’re more relying on gem drop luck to do it in one turn. That only really slows you down by 1 turn most likely though.

i saw a maw, bone dragon combo… it was ew, just ew.

2 Likes

This is why the vote is skewed.[quote=“Zelfore, post:6, topic:8244”]
The fact that there’s no skull maker makes Hunger less reliable and more reliant on luck.
[/quote]

Well i was hoping the goblins would take out everything then i take out the goblins but um the world is too cruel. Also a team that loops turns and creates fodder can win against maw.

Dude, that’s been the same opening in every match for every series. I strongly doubt that has any bearing on anything.

@killerman3333 How does assuming a fair fight skew the voting?

"vote according to your own rules, assume it is a fair fight. Considering that we built our teams around certain rules, the voting should follow those rules. However i do enjoy watching certain teams getting wrecked by other teams. Also i took that part of the quote as well because reasons. Ai vs Ai ok makes sense as the ai plays at the same skill level so that is a fair fight. Player vs player however comes down to skill and there for the fight will be unfair to the player with the least skill meaning we have to assume that both players are of equal skill and not biased. Considering we built around certain rules i would think in the aspect of fairness in the next series the voting should follow the same rules as the draft to maintain fairness.

That quote isn’t saying ignore the Guidelines. If you assume player V player, then you DO assume equal skill and even equal luck

True but we should be voting according to rules that are the same as the rules we built our teams around. I would at least hope this would be the case. Ai vs ai or player vs player of equal skill makes sense. This is only the 3rd GoWFFs and hopefully not the last so if there is a next one the build rules should be similar to the draft rules. Teams fully traited and max level for their rarity, no kingdom bonuses i think was the rules we built around in the last draft however those voting would be voting according to their own rules which could be anything but with the stipulation of it being a fair fight.

Again, this was the exact same message from series 2 that you were a part of and hadn’t said anything then either.

The only point of that disclaimer was for people to use the same guidelines for how they want to vote, be it if the computer is fighting itself or are 2 equally skilled people fighting. Is it a simple match or who’d win in a first to 5? It also said to that regardless how you view it, you should view it fairly. Don’t view it where you give advantages to one and ignore them on the other.

If you wish to continue this, please take it to the draft thread. Thank you.

1 Like

It’s why I use it. Fastest, most reliable way to victory.

Sure, but Ragnagord takes Red and Brown, so there is a decent chance of getting 7 in two colors in row + column.

This match is incredible! Maw is destroying the arena and eating everything! Sadly though it looks like it can’t hold tight though as it is slowly dying from something it ate. No matter how many goblins he eats thee goblin team keeps coming. The stage destroyed and us in the blimp (your announcers) are watching as the goblins are jumping all over the place taking down every troop the enemy has, however maw is the hardest one to fell. @Shiratori is doing well constructing a team i have been running for weeks now with the correct order and banner. One green match means damage and an extra turn. Also depending on if he loses goblin to devour or otherwise, hobgoblin can easily dodge (20% dodge) maw’s mouth (15% devour trait) giving the king enough time to summon a goblin to replace the one he lost. @Machiknight might be in for a tough fight in this 4v4. @bobomb what are your thoughts on this destructive battle?

1 Like

Great analysis @killerman3333. @Machiknight’s team can set off fireworks and fill everyone up in fairly short order, but that strategy can be risky if the gems fall awkwardly. It can give him skulls, but can also set up @Shiratori’s goblins for sets of 4 or more, or skulls.

Hobgoblin can really become a problem for @Machiknight, his dodge and his 27 attack (!!!) plus his own skill can end up chopping the Maw, and everything else, to pieces. The goblin king will probably be benched unless Maw decides to gobble something else (say, the hobgoblin), otherwise it’ll just make a more energizing morsel for the Maw.

Soothsayer will fire off, and with luck, give an extra turn by creating a 4 match. Goblin will charge up with each set of green, but alone can’t do much, as the Maw team have a fair bit of life/armor. It’s definitely going to be a race. It could really be anybody’s game here. In a Human v Human match, both players have a good shot. It really comes down to how the gems fall. Interestingly, the same goes for AI v AI, with the added twist that Maw may munch something odd and incomprehensibe, like the goblin.

It’s anybody’s game here folks!

Do not forget though that the goblin team still has a special trump card up its sleeve if the maw does not eat the king. As this team runs mono green it can set up the big mean green machine play. Yes folks that means that every summoned goblin comes out fully traited and even though level 10 each one has green mana link. Meaning that every match will net 8 mana before surge instead of 6. What does that mean you are probably asking? It means that the goblins can play fast and loud or low and slow to deal with maw as they see fit. They can even keep the turn for long periods of time if they so wish to.