The 3rd GoW Forum Fantasy Series - Round 1: 3 vs 14

Welcome one and all to the Gems of War Forum Fantasy contest, series 3! Everyone is welcome to vote in each match and your vote will determine who wins and advances on to the next round. Here are some guidelines to follow when deciding on who to vote.

• Vote according to your own rules. Is it a best of whatever? Is it Player vs Player or AI vs AI? You can choose, but always assume it is a fair fight.
  • Each troop and their rarity will be listed below. For exact stats, a link will be provided using @Lyya’s fantastic database application so you can see exactly what each troop can do, how strong they are, and other bonuses they may receive.
  • All troops are fully traited as well, so keep this in mind as it may not be reflected in the list.

With that, let’s get onto the matches!

First Round: #3 MrSnake vs. #14 Ozball

User: @MrSnake

Banner: Proud Banner (+2 Red Matches)

Troops and Position:
Boar Rider (Ultra Rare)
Borealis (Legendary)
Valkyrie (Epic)
Emperina (Epic)

TEAM SUMMARY

VS

User: @Ozball

Banner: Dark Elven Banner (+1 Green Match, +1 Purple Match)

Troops and Position:
Treant (Epic)
Swamplash (Epic)
Sylvasi (Epic)
Green Seer (Epic)

TEAM SUMMARY

• MrSnake
  • Ozball

0 voters

POLL ENDS: SUNDAY 6/12/16 at 12PM Central Time

LINKS
1 VS 16
2 VS 15
3 VS 14
4 VS 13
5 VS 12
6 VS 11
7 VS 10
8 VS 9

Good luck one and all!

2 Likes

So I guess I should get this ball rolling! (or… looking at the votes, maybe I don’t need to)

The opposing team has 2 main threats. Boar Rider and Borealis, both of which are a “bore” to deal with :stuck_out_tongue:

Borealis first, since he’s the easiest. Sylvasi is pretty much the prefect counter to Borealis, since he lowers his attack (nullifying his third trait) and denys blue by changing it to purple.

Boar Rider also is a pretty straight forward issue. He falls to 2 casts of Swamplash, or 1 if he’s entangled. Which is a real possibility since Green Seer entangles 1 enemy on each cast, and fills up pretty quickly, more so if Sylvasi casts.

So my general strategy is this:
Take any 4 or 5 matches (standard practice)
Aim for any purple matches to get GS filled in 2-3 matches depending on surges.
Green Seer casts whenever she’s full and can make at least a 4 match (barring the first time she fills, when she will cast even if there are only three matches)
Swamplash focuses casting on Board Rider till he’s down, then Emperina, and Valkyrie (Borealis likely going down to random skulls from all the mana transforming/removing)
Sylvasi focuses Borealis till he’s at 0 attack, after which he’ll cast on whoever is at the top. If all enemies are entangled then he’ll only cast if he can get a 4 match of purple out of it, or Borealis is close to filling. (also if Emperina targets Borealis, then Sylvasi will focus him till he’s back down to 0 attack)
Treant aims to get 1 cast of Barkskin off early, and them only when there are a good number of browns on the board, or noone else is filled and there are no good matches.

The opponent has no targeted damage, so Treant will soak up most of the damage from skulls, and Boar Rider will be lucky to get more than 1 cast off, leaving only Borealis to deal damage, and we’ve already looked at how that won’t be happening. So Stoneskin on Treant, combined with Sylvasi keeping people on low attack, or people being Entangled by Green Seer / Swamplash, skull damage is not even a threat.

Board Rider squishes quickly, Borealis gets denied, and everyone gets skull damage blocked, making for a smooth win for me.

1 Like

of course - i disagree with friend @Ozball who had his timezone difference advantage, but now i have my turn :wink:

my goal is simple from start, just pick the 4/5 gems turns or try to get some small cascades and fill valk soon.
this will be easy because of proud banner and second emperina trait i will get additional 3 red mana on every match. so in 2 turns without mana surge my valk is ready to cast.

i keep her ready as long as possible before i use her, to fill my emperina as backup plan if boar rider or borealis gets hurt too hard - so i make sure to keep them alive.

now its easy to fill my borealis with my valk and her +1blue mana and he freezes all enemies what gives me the advantage of the match, it will take too many turns before my opponent can cast enough spells to kill me. now i will just always make sure the enemy is frozen and my boar rider starts to destroy the enemy team - if he dies the more deadly borealis will skulldamage the enemy to death!

my opponent is just “to cool” to get his casts done, i pick the mana and let him watch my cascading turns :sunglasses:

here the short facts:

• valk controls the board
  • emperina keeps keeps the troops alive
  • borealis slows down the whole enemy team
  • boar rider is the annoying part - he is the “cherry on the cake”

oh, and before i forget → thanks for the extra 50% souls @Ozball i appreciate your help on levelling my other troops^^ :wink:

And it’s over! Congratulations to @Ozball and thanks to @MrSnake for playing.

2 Likes

congratz to the winner^^

Thanks all for the votes, and thanks to @MrSnake for being a good opponent :smiley: Now I need to find a way to deal with a rabid squirrel… :stuck_out_tongue:

Throw nuts at him.

1 Like