The 3rd GoW Forum Fantasy Series - Round 1: 5 vs 12

Welcome one and all to the Gems of War Forum Fantasy contest, series 3! Everyone is welcome to vote in each match and your vote will determine who wins and advances on to the next round. Here are some guidelines to follow when deciding on who to vote.

• Vote according to your own rules. Is it a best of whatever? Is it Player vs Player or AI vs AI? You can choose, but always assume it is a fair fight.
  • Each troop and their rarity will be listed below. For exact stats, a link will be provided using @Lyya’s fantastic database application so you can see exactly what each troop can do, how strong they are, and other bonuses they may receive.
  • All troops are fully traited as well, so keep this in mind as it may not be reflected in the list.

With that, let’s get onto the matches!

First Round: #5 PowerPlay vs. #12 Zelfore

User: @PowerPlay

Banner: Holy Banner (+2 Yellow Matches)

Troops and Position:
Fenrir (Epic)
Reaver (Ultra Rare)
Gorgotha (Legendary)
Priestess (Epic)

TEAM SUMMARY

VS

User: @Zelfore

Banner: Banner of Scales (+1 Red Match, +1 Blue Match)

Troops and Position:
Jarl Firemantle (Mythic)
Winter Knight (Ultra Rare)
Jackelope (Rare)
Queen Mab (Legendary)

TEAM SUMMARY

• PowerPlay
  • Zelfore

0 voters

POLL ENDS: SUNDAY 6/12/16 at 12PM Central Time

LINKS
1 VS 16
2 VS 15
3 VS 14
4 VS 13
5 VS 12
6 VS 11
7 VS 10
8 VS 9

Good luck one and all!

2 Likes

For this battle I would actually AVOID filling up Gorg. I need him alive to be my closer tank.

As I’m sure plenty of people can already tell, the goal of this match-up would be to ready Jarl, Winter Knight, or Jackalope to setup 4+ matchs, burning away and freezing the opponent’s team. (Not to mention making Jarl bulkier with his Huge trait [+2 Life])

Jarl’s starting stats (w/ Leader trait):
Life: 37
Armor: 15
Attack: 21
Spell Damage: 19 [15+4]

So every skull match and spell cast does a good chunk, even cutting through Gorgotha with a fair amount of ease, though the main goal would be to leave him for last considering he’s hardly a threat on his own.

Winter Knight’s goal is to setup 4+ matches with his explosion and collect the last amount of mana necessary to power a spell. This means he’ll be preparing his spell and sitting on it until the right moment, so blue will be spilling onto Mab in the mean time.

Jackalope is a transformer with the purpose of powering WK and Queen Mab, meaning he’ll also be sitting on his spell for the right moment. That’s not his only purpose though, thanks to his spell’s Mana Burn he can pull a solid 23 Damage from a fully charged Gorgotha. [7Magic+1AirSpirit+15Mana]
So Jarl cast + Jackalope cast = dead Gorgotha.

Other Jackalope damage capabilities:
Fenrir - Max: 19 Damage
Reaver - Max: 16 Damage
Priestess - Max: 17 Damage

Finally, Queen Mab sits pretty in the back collecting spill over and freezing the entire enemy team. With every spell cast from her allies her Arcane trait increases her spell damage, so by the time she’s collected enough mana to cast she’s likely to greatly wreak any survivors.

The best mana generation the opponent has is a luck based exploder, not to mention 4+ cascade extra turns are likely to be wiped as Mab gives frost bite while Gorgotha slowly powers up.

Reaver and Priest are both mana blocked, so Priestess won’t be very capable of protecting any weakened troops, and Reaver (the best chance to stop Jarl’s mana generation) is sitting behind a troop reliant solely on Skull Damage.

While quite bulky and good at dealing (occasional) damage, Fenrir still pales in comparison to Jarl’s natural strength, who in comparison only needs 2 skull matches to rip the wolf apart (with all bonuses accounted). [Fenrir’s starting health total: 39 -VS- Jarl’s damage from Skull match & Spell cast: 39]

Any health gain from Fenrir or Priestess will also be countered by Jarl’s burns. (Not counting Gor whom’s immune.)

TL;DR: Take out the enemies team 1-by-1 with targeted damage until only Gorgotha remains, then kill him with Mana Burn and Fire Hammer. All while extra turns are but a memory for the opponent.

1 Like

Damn convincing reply to Gorgotha smash!

Looks like gorgotha is about to be smashed.

I’m thinking it’s a lot less impressive when it’s in 3rd place.

And it’s over! Congratulations to @Zelfore and thanks to @PowerPlay for playing.

1 Like

finds a table to flip, launches it 55 feet in the air, storms out

“I’ve bucking HAD IT with these last-place finishes!!”

Bar is always open.

1 Like