There's something needs to be changed in Guild Wars brackets

I don’t even understand why did you come here. Just to say that? Just red the post attentively: nobody said that GW sucks, the mechanism does, not the event.

This is one of those topics that will always disgruntle newer guilds who are competitive and ambitious. I totally understand the frustration that the bracket system and dead guilds creates. As others have said, wars is a learning curve and you might win your bracket for months on end and then BANG, suddenly the competition kicks in as you meet other capable guilds. Someone suggested increasing wars frequency to accelerate the rate of bracket ascent but that would cause issues due to the introduction of (not so) epic tasks. Whilst the stat boost for ETs is not huge, it does help nonetheless and that is why many guilds primarily focus on gold donation for wars week as a priority over other weeks. Weekly wars would give the guilds who have the playtime needed to do ETs each and every week an advantage and unbalance the competition even more. ETs were a bad idea and aimed purely to sink the gold that hadn’t already been sunk into the underworld. But that’s a side issue. So bracket climbing is just another arduous grind I am afraid. But stick with it and one day you will find the competition you crave.

Maybe I was off a bit. I just skimmed back through and found what upset me. I took the comment “rather take an ice pick to the eye” and “most stressful part of the game”, both with likes, as negative towards guild wars. They were referring to gw every week which to someone like me who only plays for gw makes me feel like they dont appreciate it.

@Kafka any input?

Waiting for the developers to fix this issue might not get you to where you want. Guild Wars has a lot of sensitive topics attached to it, touching it without a clear plan would not bode well for the team.

The fact that you moved from 132nd to 111th instead of 130th is already a fasttrack implemented in the system.

The best solution I can come up with is try to find a guild on it’s last legs but still high up on the guild war leaderboard. Ask the GM if you can move all of your guildmates into it and play from there. You can even rename the guild to have it say “Crazy Russian Gems” if you dissolve this one.

I would expect you should be able to skip to at least bracket 15 if you search hard enough. Then if you’re able to top the leaderboard every time you’ll be in the top 100 in 3 months time.

That’s not an acceptable workaround

3 Likes

What is acceptable to you? I haven’t been able to read that yet. Maybe it got lost in the thread that I was skimming.

Some of the ideas that have generally gained traction both in this thread and elsewhere include:

• Increasing the rate at which guilds that underperform for their Bracket drop down

• Turning all Brackets below 100 into one big Bracket, allowing highly performing new guilds to start their climb at a reasonable Bracket (~100)

• Tweaking the current (yes, already improved once since implementation in Nov '17) Bracket progression formula to be more aggressive at the lower end of the spectrum (at least to B100), while retaining the stability and competition of the top Brackets

• Some combination of the above

I can agree that taking over an older, dying guild doesn’t seem like an acceptable solution, mostly because:

1. It seems complex, convoluted and difficult (not guaranteed)

2. It’s not going to be available for every guild in this situation

3 Likes

Even though GW is an oldest event, based on the changes that were made through many years it’s algorithm definitely requires to be changed as:

• There are many guilds right now
  • There is 20 to 40% of dead guilds
  • The frequency of GW I once a month, not every week as it was before
  • Participation rate of the guilds should be controlled

While I was writing a reply @Jonathan have added the major summary of everything said in this thread.

@Dawid has a point and an approximate formula for GW Brackets

1 Like

Undermanned guilds are a constant problem throughout the game. It’s not inherently a guild war issue. There’s no reason to stop guilds from participating in guild wars, there are still benefits for members participating even if they are severely inactive.

A more aggressive promotion may be fine, but that won’t solve your problem as fast as you want to. I presume you post multiple times asking for developer replies is because you want out of an unfair trap.

If you want to change the world go ahead. I’m just here to provide a effective solution for your guild.

With all due respect, your solution is not an effective one, it is a crutch for a limp mechanics.

@Kafka @Saltypatra any thoughts? =)

The problem I see with your solution is that it requires a Guild leader to relinquish control over their guild…either the leader of the dead guild must be willing to step aside, or the leader of the active guild must be willing to submit to the whims of a leader who already killed a guild once.

It doesn’t sound like a solution to me.

5 Likes

The devs have refused to say ANYTHING about this ongoing topic for its entire duration. It’s up to the community how they interpretate that. Wars is not an economic boomer so it’s never gonna figure on the to do list. The absence of any comment whatsoever illustrates the difference between what’s important to you (the ambitious player) and them, the greed obsessed profiteer.

1 Like

This is something we’ve spoken about at length in the past with the community and I have nothing new to add. Which is generally a good reason to not respond. This thread wasn’t ignored, I read it. Feedback has been passed on.

I did start writing a reply about this yesterday or last week but decided to just let you all discuss it amongst yourselves. I don’t necessarily think it’s good for the conversation for a Dev to come in and give an opinion for every topic, because I often feel that Dev answers can sometimes have a finality about them and my goal isn’t to kill the discussion.

We improved bracket climbing last year significantly, we know it’s still not a perfect system but I don’t have any news to share about this at this time.

I’m not disagreeing with you though, I just don’t think there’s any simple solution and I think it’s worth taking the time and not rushing into anything. I’ve also spoken to guild leaders who adamantly believe they should be ranked higher than XYZ guild, sometimes I can see their point and other times I’ve believed with every fiber of my being that they were 100000% wrong even if the guild they’re talking about has less than 20 members and not all of them participated the one time.

EDIT: Let me give a specific example for that last comment.

2 month old guild gets mad because they’re pitted against a 4 member guild who didn’t score that guild wars.

I check the 4 member guild and find the guild is 2-3 years old and they’ve participated in EVERY Guild War since their Guild was created. As a Guild that often had less than 10 members, they kicked every 20-30 member Guild’s ass they came up against and earnt their rank - they had 2 bad guild wars in a row - maybe a couple of members were on holiday or got sick unexpectedly.

Damn straight I think a 30 member, 2-6 month old Guild should have to beat them to climb the brackets.

^ This opinion of mine is nothing new though, just the example is new. The next time a thread like this pops up I’m going to have the same opinion. I can’t reply every time :S

5 Likes

As an active member of a mid ranked guild i agree. Earn your stripes blow by blow. Stop complaining, any goal is worth the long term pursuit. Purse it whatever the obstacles. The guild I play , competes to the best of our ability and available players; geez we get absolutely pulverised by upwardly mobile guilds ; good on them; we have great competitions against similar matched guilds; occasionally we play a guild with less members; so what; its a game, play it as a game. In the end persist and yes it may take years ; your guild will get there; you may not be there; remember there is no i in team, guild wars is teams; guild wars is extremely long term, the teams higher ranked have played and played and their members have changed over time too; play for generations if necessary if you want tier one; but above all just play.

Chunky’s Raiders has existed for 590 days. When I joined 444 days ago, I was the 6th member, and for whatever reason, the only Soldier my first GW. I thought I had saved screenshots of results, but many of our opponents either lost to my defenses or skipped their battles that day.

That was a long time ago tho, and since that time, our guild has reached bracket 6 on XBox. And not once, in all that time, did we face a four person guild capable of standing against us.

For the Horde.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply and the interesting example you described. Those other guilds must have been pretty bad for this to happen or maybe the majority of them are wars dodgers. We had 1 of those last week. Did his bit on Monday then went awol and was kicked by Friday. Probably a freeloader, disruptive alt from a rival guild. Too many big guilds employ this deviant tactic in higher brackets. Name changing needs to stop so once identified, these players can’t change their name, defence and pet to try and rejoin and do it all over again. They are just sneaks and that lost 50k can cost you the bracket. Way too much of this going on in the game because the design permits it. Not cool at all.

1 Like

What about an entry fee? It will be much easier to filter out guilds that is not willing to participate. Also it is very frustrating to see the devs are “quite ok” with their point and do not see others’

Considering the fact that GW was a weekly event, strong guilds that were formed recently have no options just to play years instead of several months to even reach those who were lucky enough to catch their chance when the game was at it’s early ages

With all due respect its a pile of crap