The official nerf Emperor korvash idea thread

Very clearly and lucidly put.

+1 to this.

The game really benefits from as many Rock/Paper/Scissors mechanisms as possible. This fails miserably with Khorvash, as there’s no really effective counter.

2 Likes

To put it really simply, the question shouldn’t be whether a troop is weak or strong, but what it’s weak or strong against.

2 Likes

Effective counters which could be added would include:

• new legendary trait that prevents mana drain effects on your whole team
  • new legendary trait that reduces true damage dealt to your whole team
  • an amusing contrived dedicated counter troop, like how Spirit Fox was invented when Mercy was everywhere, and Wayfinder failed to work when Manticore was everywhere: I came up with the following idea:

Basilisk
Green/Purple Naga/Monster Ultra Rare from Mist Of Scales
Stats tbc, but high Life, low Armour
Spell: Paralysis
Cost 11 mana
Deal [Magic] true damage to an enemy and remove all Blue gems to boost the damage (1:1 ratio) - stun and silence the enemy and give them Armour equal to the damage dealt
Traits: Monster Bond, Immune, Empowered

1 Like

Keep in mind that the OP is on console with the new AI, where baiting with skulls no longer works. :astonished:

1 Like

Not like skull-baiting Khorvash was a particularly safe tactic to begin with, since there are no troops with Thick Head or Impervious that also have Stoneskin, and Carnex is the only one with Impervious and Armored. Entangled or attack debuffs would also have been good options, though availability’s a bit limited on those. But you’re right, that’s one less available strategy off a list that was pretty small to begin with.

1 Like

I agree debating an issue is a good thing!

EK is not anywhere near game breaking as other troops have been in the past, but it is heavily unbalanced compared to the vast majority of troops.

This is not a “false alarm”, but it is also NOT a major deal. As even the proponents for nerfing are calling for EK to have a “minor adjustment” down. And others are calling for “minor adjustments” up for most of the other 290+ troops.

2 Likes

I 100% disagree with this statement . If the developers never nefed anything they would have to be VERY VERY careful when introducing new mechanics and troops. Or they would permanently unbalance the game. Not having the debate (or option) to adjust things downward would effectively end the game after a few months or more.

Nefing troops gives the developers more freedom for making mistakes! (That’s why they introduced the refund mechanic after all)

2 Likes

Yeah but the refund is not a real refund you not getting your money back you just getting the stones and souls you spended on the troop

It is the same thing then if you go at “Sears” and want to get a refund , they won’t give you money, they will give you a cards with x amount of money and then force you to buy something else in their store

If for exemple they nerf death, i won’t care about the stones and souls. I would want to get my money back cause i spended crazy amount of gems just to get 1 copy of him

Edited just for you @Strat and @htismaqe :slight_smile:

Why are you unwilling/unable to separate “powerful” from “overwhelming”?

Why must powerful always equal complete rapid annihilation?

When Alabama faces Louisiana A&M, it SHOULD be lopsided but when they go up against Ohio State it’s a slugfest, despite both teams being great.

A gang of Mythics against a gang of Mythics need to be a back-and-forth evenly matched event. It’s not. Whoever charges first eliminates half the other team and it’s no longer fun.

Too many people want an easy button and 45-second matches. It’s destroying what could be an excellent strategy game. Of course it’s F2P so expecting it to be something other than a grind of mindless accumulation probably is a bit too idealistic.

2 Likes

Walmart gives back cash all the time, as long as you have a receipt.

That’s because they understand that keeping people coming in will ultimately net much more business than letting people walk out angry.

Amira was supposed to kill Khorvash on one cast, and it’s a great metagame plot for the quest i must say. :smiley: But why she is less likely to be used as a counter?

Amira’s spell costs nearly as much as Khorvash’s spell while her spell’s effectivity is tied to a certain color on the enemy and Khorvash’s spell is effective on anyone basically. So ok, increasing EK’s mana cost could be fine, but reducing Amira’s spell cost would also helps a lot.

Valkyrie is the cheapest transformer in the game and she pairs very well with Khorvash because there is nothing blocking both troop’s colors, Valk have water link, providing mana support even without casting her spell, and ignoring banners we should look what Amira have to support her:

• Hellcat to transform gems to Red, but it also gets mana blocked by Amira since she is purple and Hellcat has no Fire Link to add mana support even without casting. Also random (weak) damage output is meh…
  • Giant Spider to transform gems to Purple and with Magic Link to help, but it summons a Spider Swarm that can block Amira’s mana, while it’s a minor issue because you would get a free “meat shield” and just consider Amira as “Full purple” there is still an issue with both transformers: Their spells are more expensive than Valk’s spell while only Giant Spider’s spell have a decent impact in the battle because it’s a summon spell.

I almost liked your Basilisk idea… I have a feeling that it should be called “Khorvash junior”…
He doesn’t does the same, but it’s damn pretty close. Silence+stun+true damage+a spoon of Empowered (to add more rage) paired with a low spell cost? Try to picture it in battle, remember about Manticore’s issues, compare it with Khorvash doing too much with a single cast as you had said before… Now, can you see how this idea would backfire?

I think this is what @htismaqe and others fears: Trying to fix something with things that adds powercreep and new problems… I mentioned Amira’s case, and the mana transformers that can support her, to point that a few tweaks in some existing troops could do wonders to the game variety. Hellcat’s random damage is so useless and uninspiring that it could just go away entirely in order to reduce his spell’s cost and it wouldn’t be missed at all i’m sure.

But let’s avoid turning a boring troop into a “super boring troop”. Maybe Hellcat’s spell could be:

• Hellfire boon: Transform a selected Mana color to Red. Increase the attack of an ally by X, if the target is a Daemon it also gains X life. (X could be Magic and of course it would need a rework on Hellcat’s magic bonus or it could be a static number.)

It’s not that I expect that, but to make a match last that long no one is doing that much damage. Even in MTG or other card games, most of the time you are waiting for 1-3 cards to come the whole game, and if you get them it’s game over.

Why don’t they create a game mode where you can only have 1-2 mythic or legendaries on your team and the rest have to be a different rarity. Some strong with some not? How would that rub you?

Also my point was if I have to get let’s say 500 trophies for my guild, there’s no way a match can take 10 minutes unless they really upped the trophies and gold per battle. I think the most a battle should take is 5 minutes. I mean we’re matching gems here.

Lol put the store you want, you still understand what i mean

In the end-game, with all kingdom bonuses, Khorvash has too much life for Amira to one-shot him. She’s also not that fast, and doesn’t pair that well with mana converters of her colour. I’ve found Soothsayer+Amira+GiantSpider+Amira to be pretty effective though.

Yes, of course. The point I was making was that contriving counters isn’t really the solution, but might help a bit. The problem is that Khorvash is so strong that any viable ‘counter’ would probably also be overpowered. As my Basilisk draft probably is. And I don’t think adding an Empowered stun/silence/board changer to the game is a great idea, truly.

Actually it’s not that bad, it’s a core part of the best looping teams. It could hit a little harder for that cost - but it doesn’t matter when you can cast it over and over again without the enemy getting a turn…

1 Like

EK is strong compared to others in his rarity, but he’s just not hard to kill whatsoever. He has plenty of weaknesses.

That’s what happens when you all go with stats. Stats are nothing.

You all are trying to tell people, “run for your lives EK is an almighty God.” The problem is he’s not.

On defense he’s easy to defeat and on offense I went back to using bats because I found most of the time there’s no need to stun the front 2 troops. He only deals true damage to 2 troops, where bat does the whole team. He has several weaknesses where bat has none. It’s the same reason I rarely use Mab. Too many started blocking Mab.

The Devs actually do a pretty good job of creating counters for the meta troops. Despite what many here would say.

The problem lies within people not educating themselves with the counters. Or they don’t want to change their team in the slightest to counter. Or to be fair some may not have the counter cards available. Which is less likely. A lot of the counter troops come in the glory packs.

1 Like

Last I checked this was not the case, unless Walmart was “Acquired” by the Ferengi Alliance.

Part of the problem with this game is precisely that - my guild/the PVP ladder requires me to accumulate X gold/glory/trophies in a limited amount of time. It’s all about quantity not quality.

And I would hope you know what I mean - it isn’t good business to let customers who’ve spent 100’s of dollars on the game leave in order to entice people with ADD who want mindless instant gratification.

I would agree with you there, but I’m one of those people that enjoy the grind. I play this game for precisely that.

In fact thinking about it, those are the only games I play. I think there’s room for everyone here in this game. I think the Devs just need to think about it and see if they can come up with new game modes.

But we can always use more spells and counters.

It was fun for a while but now that I have mostly everything the accumulation has no seeming point. Maybe I need to start a new account.