The official nerf Emperor korvash idea thread

Devs have the option of putting one AI deck going against another AI. I’m 100% sure either Sirrian or Nimhain said that.

1 Like

Your hostility and the statement ‘clearly OP’. Both are incorrect.

1 Like

one of the most annoying troop to play againts. together with bone dragon and blue guardian.
I think he need little bit of nerf.
change dmg from skulls reduction from 50% to 25% and take away few magic points or increase spell cost to 16 - 17

1 Like

You are right sirrian said they could use it for the fantasy series

1 Like

And that right there is your problem.

That is not what overpowered means.
It means over the power of the average.
There is a level where all troops should be in terms of cost, usefulness, traits, skill power, etc. etc.
when a troop comes out that is just all around better in every way from every other troop in the game, there is a sense of overpower because they are over the power of the games average power level.

It does not always mean unbeatable. .

2 Likes

@Rickygervais, after seeing your videos i couldn’t help but to share my own:
Dark Servants
I created this team in an effort to provide good setups for very newish players. And while i can’t be very proud of some of my (bad) plays in this match, it actually ended well against a fairly solid build using Khorvash.

So, i believe there are still good options to build around, have fun and achieve results without huge nerfs to a troop that, as i believe, have an important place in the “meta ecossistem”.
But again, my opinion is not fully developed considering the new A.I features. In theory, if i could overcome the challenge of using this team with success i can imagine that people better than me at this game will also overcome the new A.I’s challenge using the same tools/cards we already have, and some new ones that are bound to come.

That breakfast tastes like something other than cardboard!! Remove it immediately and replace it with bland oatmeal because that is what the average is.

Your problem isn’t with EK it is with the average.

2 Likes

You are correct in a round about way.
I do not like that the average is as low as it is. But even with a higher power level (not much higher than what we have now, I want more troops more so to the power of the current non Emperor K and Bone dragon meta strength) with the average, emperor k is STILL vastly superior and he should NOT be the average troop.

Also I don’t really think you understand what balance is. It’s not about taking away anything necessarily. More about keeping everything within a reasonable level of power. It’s quite a simple concept.

1 Like

Yeah he’s saying the balance you all want is easy mode. The average should be much higher than it is now. That’s where strategy comes in. Pretty easy to understand really.

It’s not that these troops are overpowered, it’s other troops that are underpowered.

1 Like

I think we can all agree on one thing here. Goblins need nerfing…

1 Like

If you bring all other troops up to EK level, you have a wider variety of nukes to choose from but you do not have strategy. You have the same race to launch that exists now, you’ve just put a different color of lipstick on the pig.

I don’t know how many times it has to be said that it isn’t about difficulty. Win percentages are well over 90% even with Bone Dragon, Khorvash, and the rest.

I want a real MATCH. Tension, tactics, momentum, actual strategy. Not “charge uber powers and see who shoots first”.

4 Likes

But for the final time, nerfing doesn’t achieve that. Plain and simple.

The Devs have to set the stage for 10 star kingdoms. At that point the older troops will be too low, and we’ll need buffs. We need buffs now already.

If win percentages are at 90 percent as you say, nerfing these troops will lead to 95-100 percent win percentage. That kills the game even more. It’s not the answer.

Making stronger troops will drag down win percentage and bring up strategy. No one really wants to lose more, that’s part of the problem. It’s too easy.

Who can blame anyone for wanting that though. Endless trophies and gold without much challenge? Yeah I’ll take that.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. Nerfing by just reducing raw power (and even buffing troops by increasing numbers on some statuses) are plain boring, but sometimes necessary, and don’t bring any good feeling about the game @htismaqe . The most desirable changes should be new effects and spells for old troops and make the players enjoy using these troops again. This won’t make Commons/Rares become as relevant as Epics or Legendaries, but those shouldn’t be utterly disappointing in most cases.

I wish that commons and rares will be reworked to be as good as a Bombot, a Wraith, a Soothsayer and others, but with different approachs of course. We already had a few inovations in the most recent cards of those rarities, but i’m still hoping for more and sort of anxious for the new kingdom. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It completely depends on what you mean by nerfing.

For my part, I’m not necessarily advocating changing relative power levels. However, mana drain is too strong on Khorvash. No non-Mythic troop should be able to completely drain more than 1 troop.

For me, this game would be infinitely better if they simply removed the instant death mechanics. They’re not powerful, they’re cheesy and there’s nothing strategic about them.

1 Like

We’re talking right past each other. I’m not sure how to phrase things so that you’ll understand. Of course you don’t nerf Khorvash and leave the rest of the game alone. As you suggest that would make an already easy game even easier.

However, your assertion that buffing other troops will make the game harder simply isn’t true. Will it make the pool of viable troops larger? Most likely. But it won’t solve the underlying problem of the game being a one-shot killfest.

Think of it this way - Gauntlet can be far more difficult to win than a turn-based game like Divinity, simply because of sheer numbers but is it more FUN? Absolutely not. Wave after wave after wave of mindless mobs may be overwhelming but it’s also monotonous and becomes exceedingly boring after a short time.

3 Likes

Let me try a different analogy.

Right now this game is like Mike Tyson vs Mike Tyson. Every match ends in a first round knockout regardless of who wins.

We could buff other boxers to make them as tough as Mike Tyson but that doesn’t change the underlying problem. You’ve increased player variety but every match still ends in a 1st round knockout.

There’s something to be said for the epic 12-round split decision, which currently doesn’t exist AT ALL in GoW.

3 Likes

This kind of debate has happened here for the last two years. Historically, the devs have acted to nerf or redesign troops that needed it, in due course. They run their own analysis and play the game too, but they’re also busy so the nerfs and adjustments take time to arrive.

Threads like this promote debate around such troops. There are also false alarms. Some clamour for nerfs because they can’t beat a troop, sometimes. Other times the nerf suggestions have been quite rightly and justified.

It’s a shame that this thread is falling into the same old tired old acrimony.

I don’t know anyone else that wants a match to last 12 turns here. That requires 8 weak troops just slapping each other til a team wins. No thanks.

A little more mana cost for beloved Korvash seems reasonable. He is such a good troop.

I think the main problem aren’t specific troops (maybe BD ;)). I think the real problem is the huge gap between kingdom level/guild task. Since the last console update high level player get another boost.
Those boosts lift the good troops even more.
Personally I think kingdom bonuses should only apply to troops of that kingdom, so no one gets ridicules stats.

That’s exactly what’s people are asking for though. It’s good for troops to have strengths, but those strengths need to be balanced by weaknesses. When a troop is good at everything, it’s hard to give it a weakness without taking away one of its strengths. Thus, nerfs. When one troop is just straight up better at all the same things as another troop of the same rarity, that’s not interesting, so they need to either shift their strengths around to make them different, or give the stronger one a weakness that the other one doesn’t have.

Khorvash doesn’t have any clear weaknesses, and is straight up better in many ways to what should be comparable troops. His mana cost is too low for draining him to be a good counter, though given the power of his spell, it’s important to prevent him from casting, whether that be skull-baiting, mana denial, or silence. His armor:life ratio is pretty even, making true damage preferable, but again, not a great counter. Stoneskin means skulls are poor unless you stun him. He’s the best at several things, and average at worst on everything else. He needs a weak point.

As @htismaqe is saying, “nuke him before he nukes you” is a good strategy for the player, given the current game, but it’s not good balance for the game as a whole. Troops need to have strong defenses against certain things, not just strong offences that blow away anything, no matter what it is. The only way to have interesting battles where it matters what’s on each team is for strong attacks to fail against certain defenses. Otherwise, it’s just pick your favorite nukes, ignore the enemy team, and spam the same strategy blindly for easy victory.

3 Likes