TaliaParks' Team Build Series: Original Blue

Would swapping shadow hunter and Behemoth solve this issue? Do you typically get enough blues to charge both up after using Valk’s ability?

I agree @Stan that Gloom Leaf actually is a good counter to Shadow-Hunter.

I usually sacrifice Shadow-Hunter with Skulls. Both Troops die and it’s back to being even, but Behemoth, Valkyrie and Druid are a very deadly trio. Most opponents’ teams aren’t made with “If Gloom Leaf dies, the other three can win” strategy. In Original Blue, Shadow-Hunter is kind of designed to die.

1 Like

That is one situation where I will think about switching my team. I have a Rowanne focused team that I use in certain situations. That one sits and builds up armor for a few rounds (with Alastair and Templar) then Rowanne squashes three or four troops in one blow. You just need the right tool for the job…

That would be a team I skip every time. I skip every team with Alastair in it just because the game lasts forever. In almost every match i’ve played with Alastair, he will be the last remaining and some how pull out a win.

I think I’d still want Shadow Hunter out front. It is OK if she dies, as long as you can fire her spell at least once. Sometimes you’re powering her up by collecting matches and not with Valkyrie, so I’d want her collecting blue before Behemoth. Once Valkyrie fires, SH is almost always full, and Behemoth maybe half the time. Just depends how the board fills and how much mana you already had in each. Sometimes, the blue will even spill over to Druid.

You typically fill everyone in a single cast, especially if you have all 3 Water Links.

Swapping won’t be as synergistic. Shadow-Hunter has massive Attack and her Spell has diminishing returns each subsequent cast, so after 2-3 casts you want her dead anyway. Behemoth isn’t a front-line tank, after 2 Valkyrie casts he has 80-100 Life, he’s the “backup” tank.

1 Like

I don’t think it would be that hard to beat that team. You just target Rowanne to keep her armor low. No one else can hurt you. If (when) we ever get Settite Warrior, I’ll switch it in for Templar and the team will be more dangerous.

I seldom put that team out for defence (I like to be charitable), but it has been my most successful defence team to date.

1 Like

Exactly. I don’t have Behemoth’s 2nd and 3rd traits yet, so I don’t get the life bonuses yet, but he is still better suited to 2nd slot.

I don’t think you can ‘typically’ fill everyone in a single cast, but it isn’t uncommon to do so. Even if I don’t, I’ll often get enough spillover from cascades and Behemoth explosions to recharge Valkyrie without taking a yellow or red match directly.

It’s a beautiful by-product of the synergy.

Do you use Behemoth to strip Armor? It cuts down on those “close-calls” Shadow-Hunter tends to make. You also hit everyone equally (except an extra point or two on the first Troop), so you don’t mess up SH’s target.

I used this team before we even had Traits, it’s 100% effective without them, just slower.

I focus on firing Shadow Hunter as soon and as often as possible. Anybody she doesn’t one-shot kill gets cleaned up by Behemoth later. Firing Behemoth can result in more unpredictable drops for the opponent, so I usually wait until later to use him. I suppose if I picked up some good brown matches early, I wouldn’t hesitate to use him first, but it seldom happens.

I usually save Druid for mop-up duty when I can predict what he is going to do. If there is only one or two troops left, or everyone is under his damage threshold, then I know exactly what will happen.

Also, I agree on the traits. They are a nice bonus on this team, but totally not necessary for success. Water-link (x3) is by far the most important.

2 Likes

You seem to get every little nuance this team has, which explains your success with it :slight_smile:

Best thing I find with Original Blue is that you can swing a bad match in your favor or even pull a win out of any and every turn. Sometimes it’ll even surprise you with how fast it can happen.

2 Likes

That third trait of shadow hunter shouldn’t be underestimated. She dodged for me like no tomorrow last night. Easily my fave epic on console. Thanks for creating this thread @TaliaParks

I’m hoping you create a few more similar threads to this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I prefer this setup:

Behemoth***
Druid***
Valkyrie***
Druid***

Not much different, but works better for me personally. I prefer druid traits over shadow hunter.

As you can tell from my defenses, I have dozens of teams :wink:

You inspired me though. I will post a new team every couple of days

3 Likes

Is there a difference in life-gain on that immense trait between console and pc? because i havent seen 80-100 life in 2 casts for like… ever.

It’s +4, just like PC is.

I overexaggerated a touch. It depends on how good of a board you have when transforming Blues, but 80+ Life after 2 casts is more than possible

yeah no i understand, I havent been paying attention closely. But as long as the matches are separate they amount to a total, and if they are clustered its just one match right?

Sometimes, it depends on the shape of the cluster and whether or not the 5-match activates.

I’ma just leave these here. The only thing Talia never accounted for was that Ettin. Nopony ever uses Ettin, and I figured he would be good just so I could get more use out of Water Link.

How unexpected it turned out that I was able to win.

Rumble is my PS4 name BTW

3 Likes

This team works really good, I’ve used it for months. Originally I used boar rider instead of the kitty. Kitty is better now that I have her to level 20.
Thanks to valkyrie you clean up on souls too.

1 Like