(!) Spoiler Alert (!) -- [Any Details Provided are Subject to Change] (Part 2)

The upcoming campaign features heroic gems that summon a Daemon troop for whoever destroys them. I sure hope the Pathfinder won’t create any of those as part of one of the still missing traits. Having to fight through several extra troops each Journey battle would probably lead to a lot of forum and chat bans.

4 Likes

Those two troops from the week of September 9 - 13 don’t have the traits they’re going to finish with. In particular, that Orc has been lurking in the depths of the spoiler page with a Pathfinder trait for years; that you’re seeing it released on a Friday and not a Monday should tell you that it’s a Bounty troop and not a Journey troop even if you don’t cross-reference dates with the Events calendar to see what sort of weekend that is.

A similar thing applies to the Barrow Lord; it has the wrong traits because the developers have yet to replace the filler with the “real data” and the troop is not yet “finalized” on the spoilers pages.

We’ll get Orcish Pathfinders eventually, because we’ll almost certainly get every potential flavor of Pathfinder if the game doesn’t collapse under its’ own management first, but not in this fashion.

My initial thought is to use Astral Mother and using her spell to loop rather than Hind for (very) slow chip damage, especially since Hind’s extra turn becomes a non-guarantee as soon as you kill a single enemy troop. (If you’re a player without Astral Mother, you can do a weaker facsimile of this strategy with Astral Spirit.)

Maybe even combining it with a Hero class that can spawn an infinite storm if you wanted to step away from Elementalist, as to further nudge the chances that you can set up a loop. Because I can’t find a Yellow Centaur that could do the same – for that matter, I only see one Centaur that has a storm listed anywhere in its’ abilities, and that’s just “Song of Light”.

1 Like

Im sure the tusk raider should be a bounty hunter???

1 Like

Could be the witch that gives you a quest that jeto or someone was on about?

well, we live in a world where people love cloned weapons, so I can’t say anything.

thoughts that no one will care about

+1 not an infernus clone
-1 24 mana
-1 blue yellow purple (King of Ravens)
-1 create 1 Spirit Gem (same troop color as King of Ravens)
-3 no protection from its own Spirit Gem

this troop is a mega dud with this 3rd trait + color combination. so naturally people want it.

4 Likes

Support troops have always been a tricky aspect of the game to balance. Most people just want to generate mana and destroy everything, so their utility gets lost in all of the power creep. I think this mythic could have been saved by cleansing all allies or powering them up more.

Here are my thoughts:

Spirit guidance: 24 blue, yellow, purple.
Give half the mana to all allies, enchant and barrier them or give all other allies (magic /2)+1 to all skills and bless them. Make it give more potential mana to higher rarity troops and hero, while having more positive status effects.:fox_face:
I would also replace agile with mana shield to protect it from its own spirit gem creation.

It just seems like it’s going to act like a beefed up emperor, but with a higher mana cost and the inconvenience of spirit gems.

3 Likes

Maybe they could of added generate spirit and angel gems which might have made it more interesting for a novelty but at 24 mana its never going to into any squad\team outside of restrictions. King of Ravens beats this hands\wings down.

2 Likes

Jeto was just doing small talk. They once said they explicitly avoid implementing player ideas, to not get into copyright issues. They update existing game features every couple of years, this one is for kingdom quests.

You hit it right on the money! The king of ravens was in the back of my mind…again. Maybe if Aguara got an extra turn or created extra gems it would have a chance. It doesn’t help that his traits are pretty much useless as well.

Lore wise, the fox folk of Vulpacea fought against the king of ravens to find a home of their own and found protection from the great Fenix. It seems that his fellow fox guardian will be forgotten to the ravages of time…

1 Like

literally WHAT!?
I can sue Valve for partial using of my dota hero concepts from 2008?
I can’t remember laws working that way

I really don’t know enough legalese to comment. However, they once ran a community event several years back, where the community got to “design” a troop, Shocktopus. Apparently this had to go through several iterations with their company lawyer before being allowed, even though the “design” part mostly boiled down to voting for one of several given options, like mana colors.

and scythie myscytheface :wink:

1 Like

revised thoughts:

+1 not an infernus clone
-1 24 mana +1 22 mana isn’t bad
-1 blue yellow purple (King of Ravens)
-1 create 1 Spirit Gem (same troop color as King of Ravens)
-3 no protection from its own Spirit Gem

so my true problem is its the same colors and similar 3rd trait effect as King of Ravens. It also has no protection against its own Spirit Gems. So why would I want to use this troop over King of Ravens?

the answer would be to change one of the colors and add mana shield. but then people will try to crucify me for suggesting something not be a clone. they deserve the game they get. =)

2 Likes

My feeling is that a mana reduction is a soft fix when a first and second trait would have been more fitting revision, having have a dodge trait on a support troop seems just plain useless. And i stand by having it third trait angel and spirit gems or switch barrier to bless to protect against mana drain because when you look at other support mythic this is closer to legendary in status. Mythics are better when they have quirky unique personality with there ability and adds a fun element this just aint.

Here are all the support mythics so far…(sorry for poor screenshot) Id say this is the worse so far or a close joint last with Vernalis and at least his third trait has synergies in the right build. Queen arura and Vesp both have potential to loop and extra turn, Archdeva quirky and unique Voice of Oephius also unique final trait and finds its way into builds occasionaly.
Basicly review this shite or change its status to legendary.

1 Like

likewise there’s a pretty good argument to change the 3rd trait to be something not self-sabotaging so I can stop comparing it to King of Ravens. Everything else will line up better. Hard to be a good support troop with a 3rd trait that can drain your own team and itself of mana.

4 Likes

Ghost King Grimhorn seems good (enough). It means others will think its the best thing since sliced bread.

In any other situation, I would say great; I’m looking forward to this mythic. Reasonable effect and a nice secondary effect. A third trait that’s not a repeat and isn’t a waste of time. Don’t like 24 mana, but may actually be fair here.

However… why does nearly every mythic have to convert specifically yellow gems to doomskulls/uber doomskulls?

Filter: Doomskulls

Archproxy Yvendra: Yellow to Uber Doomskulls
Kurandara: Yellow to Doomskulls
Enraged Kurandara: Yellow to Doomskulls
Hatir & Skroll: Yellow to Doomskulls
Skroll Reborn: Yellow to Doomskulls

The Lord of Slaughter: Brown to Doomskulls
(bonus round) Fountain of Stars: Brown to Skulls

Pharoah Khafru: (most) Skulls to Uber Doomskulls (doesn’t really count)

The Onyx Giant: 8 of a color to Uber Doomskulls
Immortal Ossifier: Any to Doomskulls. bless this troop

7 Likes

He’s a souped-up version of King Bloodhammer. He’d certainly be better if he converted a different color to doomskulls given the litany of yellow-to-doomskull you’ve laid out (and the lack of other colors converted), but King Bloodhammer is just an okay-ish Legendary to begin with (in my opinion).

Dhrak-Zum already has converters for some of the other colors to doomskulls: red (Glaycion), green (Moira Cragheart), and blue (King Bloodhammer). So it would probably make sense if this one were purple or brown instead if you’re going to move away from yellow.

2 Likes

I took a peak at Ghost King Grimhorn and have been muddling some things over. It’s kind of funny because I thought the devs missed an opportunity with the last campaign to add Alder Frostbeard (should have been undead/dwarf imo) to Dhrak-Zum, but they were probably working on this guy. Yes, the yellow gems to doom skulls is annoying as the developers seem to be obsessed with that conversion ever since they brought Kurandara into the game.

However, this mythic does bring some unique enough aspects into the game.

It gives dwarves a much needed damage source that can defeat high level opponents.
This mythic might be able to revive the Zuul Goth style of skull spam with the slayer class and supporting troops.
Creating a doom storm on 4 or 5 gem matches means that he will replace Scylla in most situations, along with a much better spell.
The before mentioned doom storm increases mana accumulation and cascades much like The Lord of Slaughter’s doom storm if we can find the right team composition.

I understand not every mythic should be as powerful as Stellarix, but they should at least help out their kingdom or troop type in a unique enough way that makes them a consideration for events, pvp, or Underspire.

6 Likes