Shocktopus In-Development

We’ve gotten some art sketches back for the Shocktopus.

Just to give you guys an explanation of our process, the art team will do 2 rough sketches which our Art Director reviews, and decides on the which one we want to follow (sometimes we will ask for parts of one to be used the the other because they are both so good).

In this case we chose to go with sketch B, as we felt that it highlighted the mechanical nature of the creature (i.e. more metal plates) and the spikes were consistent in style with other big mechs in the game such as Carnex.

24 Likes

That look like an hybrid of octopus and Bane lol

Seriously keep up the good work guys that look awesome

1 Like

I think I like B better too, but both is solid sketches.

1 Like

There is something about the monocle appearance of A that is quite appealing…

I know where u have it from:

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Just so you all know, the next winner will be…
Mecha-Gobzilla

1 Like

Nice if it could look a little more vehicle-ish, to have a Merfolk inside… else it’s a monster/mech really…

Really interesting, thanks for sharing.

I don’t know which one I would have chosen. Your reasoning for picking B makes perfect sense, but I love the patchwork haphazardness of the plates in sketch A; it makes it look more like a mech that was cobbled together over time, rather than the smooth crustacean-like armour of sketch B.

We have some sketches for the the Shocktopus’ spell: Octo-Shock

We went with B as we felt it a) fit better with the octopus mech theme and b) better showed off the lightning putting the ‘shock’ in Octo-Shock.

17 Likes

Agreed there nim. Looking good.

B was the obvious spell choice considering the troop design choice. :wink:

Thanks for letting us peek behind the curtain oh great Wizard of @Ozball!!

and other devs whose names don’t make pop culture references. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I wonder how shocking the sound effect choice will be.

looking forward to see more… :man_dancing:

Cattle prod to a canetoad, whatever death sound it makes lol

We’re back with some color roughs for both the troop and spell icon!

Troop art included some different metal colors so our Art Director could work with the artist to get the right metallic shade on the Shocktopus.

The Art team sent through 2 color roughs for spell icons for us to consider. We went with B, as it looked like the tentacles were coming from the Mech itself.

8 Likes

I really like B look for both

1 Like

B for the Color,bronze is very steampunk,and A for the spell. IMO. I’d ditch the spikes on his head,but otherwise looks good.

1 Like

I prefer A as gold does not oxidize or rust in salt water while copper or aluminum would oxidize and change color. If B was the main color with patches of green for oxidization, it could look rather cool as well. For the spell art, I would say A hands down.

3 Likes

Really great stuff. Thank you for sharing @Nimhain!!! :slight_smile:

Hey @nimhain roughly how far through the development process would you say we are?

I note that the spell uses a new mechanic - hit all troops of selected colour - have the team started experimenting with the code to do that yet?