Sad way to finish the year

I’m with the Devs on this one :man_shrugging:. It seems like it was the guild’s doing - that there was both enough time and steps that could have been taken to prevent this from happening. While I think it was worth asking to see if something could be done, I also think expecting to be bailed out is unreasonable.

I agree that players should get rewards they’ve earned - but I guess the truth is that they did, in the mail.

I think supporting the Devs, and the game, means supporting their informed decisions as well (even if you personally disagree), rather than just financially. Their lives, their choices :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

1 Like

Yeah, the mail that they couldn’t collect. Because, like most people, they were on vacation, spending time with their family.

See, this brings up another issue only we console players have: game play limitations. Any PC/Mobile player, right now, from anywhere with Wi-Fi or a decent data signal can even do something as simple as collect their mail in less than a minute. Heck, they could fly 3,000 miles to be with their family for X-Mas, and ten to one, they would have the ability to log into the game and do whatever. Even just to collect mail while brushing their teeth after X-Mas dinner.

We console players don’t have that. If we are not, metaphorically, chained to our Xbox or PS4, we can’t do squat. We can’t do battles, collect mail, tribute, pets, nothing. We are just SOL for the whole Gems experience. And, you know what, generally, that’s fine. Yes, I would love to do things like collect tributes when I’m “out and about”, but, in the grand scheme of things, it’s not bad.

But, but, when it’s in a situation where you could be 100s to 1000s of miles away from your console for extended periods, this set back in comparison to Mobile players means a lot. Yes, you might say “bring you console with you” or “log into your relatives”. Well, if I’m taking a long trip, like on a plane, I don’t really want to take my Xbox with me. It could be lost or stolen or damaged. And, honestly, it’s a huge pain. Much more than taking a simple smartphone with you. As for the second “option”, not everyone has a current Gen system, and even if they did, no guarantee they have what you play on. They may only have a PS4 but your play on Xbox or whatever.

I know this “tangent” of mine may not seem related to the problem at hand, but I assure you, it is . Things like this don’t just happen for no reason.

As brought up in earlier comments, one reason this happens is the way the mail box limit works. Why erase Mail 1 when Mail 101 wants to come in? Why not just exclude Mail 101 like how every other mail box works in the world, including real ones. Another issue is Leg tasks don’t combine. I understand why, but it is an issue (and hopefully one that will be fixed). But, for console players, this lack of any “on the go” play is an issue as well. And while I “get” why, it is still a problem. And doing anything at all about these issues would help problems like what happened with this player, not occur at all, or at least way less frequently.

Basically, what I’m trying to say here is: this game has its short comings. And while I understand why they are there, it’s not the players fault they are there. It’s not our job to design the game, it is our “job” to play it and support it when we can. But, we shouldn’t be the ones paying for these short comings. I never asked for (nor was never outright told) that Mail 1 deletes when Mail 101 wants to come into the inbox, until today. Yeah, we “all” know now. But, thats a little like closing the barn doors after the horse has already escaped. It doesn’t little good to solve the problem at hand. And, due to the way of running things like this, a player is now out 1,500 Gems that are rightfully his.

How many more players does stuff like this need to happen to before proper action is taken? In my opinion, one is too many. And two is unacceptable. You cant just “sit on your hands” and say things like “sorry to hear that happened to you, but there’s nothing we will do about it” and expect there not to be some outrage. I mean, come on, Sirrian basically outright said they can do something about this, they just won’t. So, of course that will make some people unhappy, and rightfully so.

7 Likes

Sorry Sirrian,

That’s just not an acceptable answer to a VIP level 13 member. He should be fully compensated, and an apology should be issued for his inconvenience.
My wallet is closed until this is resolved satisfactorily.

8 Likes

Ouch. This does seem to be rather a clusterfiretruck of epic proportions.
Not to mention the PR fail.

Just give the dude his 1500 gems and make a stickied thread with all important updates, perhaps with a mail sent out to all players informing them of current policy.

That way, everyone would be aware about it going forward and the upset would settle down.

4 Likes

read through this whole thread im like…he couldnt pop on to pc/phone once a day to collect mail even if on vacation?then started to think abit more, this is an xbox/ps4 player issue isnt it haha #pc masterace

1 Like

Yup. We can’t use our phones to play the actual game at all. So, unless we are “chained” to our console, we’re just SOL, apparently

2 Likes

@Sirrian unlike PC and mobile we can’t check our mailboxes when we are away which you clearly know. If you want to make it right. My ingame name on xbox is “Blessed”. Until it’s made right. I am closing my wallet to further purchases and so are quite a few other people. I am VIP 13 and have been a loyal player for quite some time. Hopefully you as the dev’s make the right decision. I even submitted video proof… The desicion you guys make will show what type of developers you guys really are… do you take care of your VIP supporters? We will find out. I should not be the example of this. From this point on this needs to be stickied so others can see this at all times so nobody else has this problem… If you decide to make it right. I thank you for caring about your VIP supporters who help keep the game running.

6 Likes

I was in deep before I realized I screwed myself playing on the XB1 even after all the fanfare of MS allowing games to run on both platforms. Console players definitely get the shaft.

1 Like

But what if that mail were to bump out a legendary task?

I think the worst outcome of this scenario is that someone was essentially punished because a guildmate was helping too much. Legendary tasks aside from the legendary or mythic drop is essentially a waste. If I have the choice between legendary tasks and opening 3333.33 gold keys with around 50 to 70 gems, at least a couple thousand glory and some gold among other miscellaneous stuff, the key option is way better. If one also has every mythic outside of zuul and most if not all legendaries ascended then the choice is way easier.

So why do we do it? Because we want to help each other in our guild.

It doesn’t matter how rare it is, who got shafted, or what the reward was. There should NEVER be a possibility of trying to get some rewards for your guild and someone ends up losing rewards. The whole point of a guild is to come together, and there should not be a limitation on helping someone else.

I understand the reasoning on the current stance, but this should be updated so legendary tasks, faction leveling, pet upgrading, etc. is all grouped together like guild tasks as all of those can add up too if done all at once. My problem is not only that this happened, but that it even could happen. It also irks me as if us forumers are truly a minority in the game, then surely how many could know about this in the game as a whole. We put up with numerous new game modes trying to grab us by the ankles and shake out some money to get the gems needed that telling someone that $100 worth of gems before any bonus is on them is beyond words.

5 Likes

I’ve been looking at this all day and wanting to reply, I’m glad I waited because I initially misunderstood the problem. I’m going to quote someone to make a quick response, but the rest of my post is kind of related.

Also keep in mind that the set of players that will experience “someone purchased ~100 LTs in one week” is a very small set, probably smaller than the set of forum goers.

This is a weird confluence of a lot of things that aren’t common:

• Console players can be in a situation where they simply cannot log into the game and clear their messages.
  • A holiday or other life event can easily create that period for a week or longer.
  • Very few guilds ever, even rarely, can purchase enough LTs to approach 100 within 1 week.
  • It costs a lot of support time to check these kinds of compensation requests.
  • When players in general know this kind of compensation is given, they abuse it.

The root of all disasters tends to be a confluence of a lot of things nobody would think about happening all at once. Here we are!

I think the peaceful path to resolution is something like this:

• Players: Take a deep breath. Put down the torches and pitchforks. It’s too early in the year to be this negative, my dudes.
  • Devs: very grouchily, with stern warnings that it is a special case, restore this player’s guild wars rewards.
  • Devs: adopt a solution that, at the very least, prefers deleting a previous LT instead of GW rewards. Do the easiest thing first. Put off the fancypants “no one loses rewards ever” solution until after that.
  • Devs: As soon as “the easiest thing” is in place (which I think is ‘don’t delete GW rewards’), make it very clear the policy is no compensation for deleted rewards, period, exclamation mark.

If someone else in a similar circumstance comes up I’d also argue “well OK, one more exception” but I’m willing to bet the set of people who:

• play on console
  • spent a week+ away on holiday
  • had a guild buy 99+ LTs

…includes less than 10 people, even ignoring VIP level, and only one has come forward so far.

I get Sirrian’s case. Support opened this door in the past and it was abused by bad faith actors. I get that every time they make an exception, more bad faith actors whine and insist they deserve it too. This is a very open-and-shut good faith case. I will commit myself to openly ridiculing the people who insist they deserve compensation because they didn’t play for 3 months and lost 5 gems or whatever. I don’t even recognize who posted, what guild they’re in, etc. But this has made some people I respect upset, and I don’t think they tend to get upset unless there’s a good case.

5 Likes

Gems have been nerfed so hard since the game’s inception… and then several gem sinks have been added…

That is all fine, but

Someone had his mail with “$1000” worth of gems event reward deleted… and the devs refuse to do anything to help… uhhh

I’m glad I don’t spend money on this game anymore… it is not deserved

2 Likes

Is there a link somewhere saying old mail will be over written for new mail? I would like to see this. Also would like to see the policy change on not compensating for missing rewards. If the player has proof then whats the issue? This is bad for business .

1 Like

obviously the only solution is to dock him another 1000 gems for wasting supports time :cry:

1 Like

Fwiw, I think the new mail overwriting the old is irrelevant - especially since I don’t think there was any indication one way or another as to how it would behave.

Best I could find was this snippet on the help page,

If that is the case (to be honest, I never look at the daily GW rewards for time until expiration), then the whole case presented by the OP is completely moot.

So, if I assume that I am reading the OP correctly, because the guild member was away for the first two days of the week then that person would not have been able to receive the gems because the 1500 gem mail would have naturally expired, regardless of whether or not their mailbox overflowed or not.

In that case, unfortunate as it may be, this is an open and shut case, unless a dev wants to say that the info on the help page is outdated and incorrect (the page says last updated 3 months ago). The mailbox issue is immaterial to the issue at hand, if so.

@Lyrian I thought the same thing - except I think the 50 seals you get for winning each day of GW last for a full 7 days (since I can leave multiples in my mailbox until I’ve reached 1500 seals to make sure they add to the guild total beyond my original 1500). This makes me think the weekly GW rewards are the same - although I can’t honestly remember - which would make the info in that article incorrect :man_shrugging:.

Edit: regardless, it does make the “he was away for 2 days and couldn’t collect the mail” argument moot, I think, from what I can tell.

Just a shame people on Xbox don’t have something similar to Remote Play on PS4, can access your console at any location away from home through a PC or Vita :slight_smile:

I thought a similar system was available on Xbox? but dunno tbh since I don’t own one.

Maybe he wasn’t able to do this at the time? Not trying to antagonise anyone or flame this discussion btw :smile:

That’s the daily guild wars rewards with an expiration date. The mail that was lost is the weekly GW rewards mail. I’m not sure what its expiration date is, but “1 week” is a good guess.

1 Like

You’re not so just delete your post to help unclutter the thread.