Sad way to finish the year

Just want to say that i do not believe that placing the blame at the feet of the devs is 100% correct.

Matters of refunds or reimbursements of the games main ‘currency’ in large amounts may well fall under the auspices of the publisher and not be a matter that the actual developers have control over.

Yes, Im aware of that. But if its a decision from the Publisher, then Im sure one of the devs team will explain to them what they receive as a financial result with these kind of decisions.

As you can check some posts above with the screenshot of UkResistance and his 744 guild keys, members of my guild very often bought real money packs of guild keys. NOW DEAR PUBLISHER, NUMBER OF REAL MONEY PACKS PURCHASED IN MY GUILD WILL BE ZERO!

About Guild war: NOW DEAR PUBLISHER, NUMBER OF GEMS INVESTED BY MY GUILD WILL BE ZERO IN PLACE OF 10’200!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, DEAR PUBLISHER!

2 Likes

I understand your member for leaving the game after that! Im even surprised he didnt quit immediately!
More than a complain from me, its more an explanation to the devs (or more probably to the Publisher), that these kind of decisions do them more bad than good in the long term.

About the Sentinels to 3, well we will see how we compete with these sents lower. I dont think it will play a big role. In GW there is rarely a win decided with just 1 or 2 life points difference after all. There have been 52 GWs and we won 45 of them. It will be an interesting challenge.

2 Likes

I don’t understand how this is such a big deal. 29 other people in the guild got their 1,500 gems, without fail. It’s not like this person is asking you to give them 5,000 gems as cost of “pain and suffering” or something. They are just asking for the event rewards that they should have gotten, like the other 29 members of their guild.

How hard is to do prove that they didn’t collect this reward? And that this person was in said guild at the time of winning GW? And, even if they can’t fully prove it, it’s better PR to just give them the 1,500 gems.

Rule #1 in business: if your customers aren’t happy, you have no business, because unhappy people are much less likely to spend money, than happy ones. Mind blowing, isn’t it?

Honestly, if this ever happened to me, that would be the “nail in the coffin” when it comes to this game. I’d quit on the spot. Not because I didn’t get my way, but because that’s some shady business practices I couldn’t, rightfully, support. They aren’t asking for much, just what they were promised for putting in the work of winning GW, the fact that the prize is 1,500 gems is irrelevant. Wouldn’t matter if it was 1,500 gold. It’s not about the prize, in my opinion, it’s about the principle. You don’t screw over your players/customers. That’s just bad business.

13 Likes

The devs hate guild wars and want us to hate it too.
ANYTHING (except for ranks) that goes wrong in GW the devs will refuse to make right. Evidently, including 1500 gems that a player earned but didn’t get. Not a single piece of mail should ever expire within 24 hours. Regardless of the mail box limit. If normal tasks combine into one package why can’t legendary tasks combine as well so this can’t ever happen to anyone ever again?

11 Likes

@JonathanStriker I am the one who lost the rewards… I even sent a 45 second video to the dev’s to prove this as well. They gave me the response of “it would be unfair to other players if I was reimbursed” How in the hell would it be unfair… I earned those with my guild. Other players didn’t earn them… I am VIP 13 aswell. Since I did not receive my gems and got a response as such. I will.no longer be buying Ring of wonder every month or other things that are for sale. If I receive my 1500 gems, then I will continue to support them.

10 Likes

Not everyone in the guild has been there for all 52 GWs. More than anything, each GW is its own separate bug filled event of interesting moments. Each GW has its own cost and should also have its own payouts.

6 Likes

Agreed! Also another thing about the mailbox and its limit of 100: nowhere its stated that when its full, it will be the mail 1 that will disappear to make room for mail 101. Why not apply this other method: keep 1st 100 mails and dont accept in mailbox the mail 101 ? ohhh I think I know the answer: With this method, GW rewards, who arrive in one of the 1st of all mails in mailbox, would not disappear! Why make players happy when you can make them unhappy!

3 Likes

The player concerned is in the guild since 50 days. But I would have done the same protest if it have been any other member of my guild.

2 Likes

Exactly, as I said, it’s not like you’re asking for 5,000 Gems for “pain and suffering” due to the incident. You just want the reward you were promised for the work you did, which, in this case, is 1,500 gems. What the reward is shouldn’t matter though, it’s the principle of it all. Who cares if it’s 1,500 Gems, Gold, a major Chaos Orb or whatever. You earned it, you should get what you earned. This should be a plain and simple thing to anyone with common sense.

Not the point, mate. Whether you have 50K Gems or 500, you should get the reward that you worked for. Plain and simple. Plus, like Idle said:

6 Likes

Yeah, man. And, unlike what @sdoherty14 said, it shouldn’t matter how many gems you have or how long the member has been in your guild. If they were in the guild when you won GW, they should get the reward for it, same as the other 29 members.

Honestly, I think the only reason some people aren’t on your/his side, is because it’s “you guys”. If it was any other guild, people would be leaping to defend the person who lost their rewards. But, because it’s someone from “that guild”, they’re all like “Who cares? They’re swimming in Gems anyway.” And, as I said, that’s not the point. I don’t care if you’re in a Top Guild or in one Rank 10,700, if you’re a level 50 or level 1,500, if you put in the work, you should get the reward. Simple as that.

9 Likes

I implore thee @Saltypatra & @Cyrup, please make this right.

To confirm, @anon43026234, this took place over 2-3 days?

Hey everyone,

Firstly welcome back after the New Year.

I wanted to jump in here personally and explain exactly why, some time mid-2018, we had to stop compensating players for missed rewards, when their mailboxes filled up, and what steps we took (and will take) to try and stop that happening. As part of our New Year’s resolution, I wanted to be totally transparent on the process here.

Basically, it comes down to a few things:

1. We need to be very consistent in the way we deal with any request. When we make an exception, everybody expects that exception to apply to them too.
  2. Checking that all compensation has been correctly received & not missed, takes our customer support team a long time (30-40 minutes per request)
  3. Once word got out that we were potentially providing compensation for overflowing mailboxes, dozens of requests (30-40) would roll in every day, with people telling us they missed rewards. Most days, I believe 90+% of these were mistaken, fraudulent, or “just checking”. Note - I’m not implying that this request was fraudulent, just that most of the other ones we received were.

So… We briefly provided this compensation service in mid-2018, but soon after the first time we did it, we had to stop. We realised, over the course of a few weeks, that it was not viable for us to keep doing this - our support team (Cyrup, Kafka, and Vex) can provide about 24 hours of time per day, and up to 20 hours became filled with this task. As you can imagine, it was harming the level of support we could provide our players in other areas of the game.

Furthermore, there was also, an added pressure, where once top guilds knew we were providing this service, they would complete tasks faster at the beginning of the week, knowing that any members who missed would be compensated. We noticed the number of recovery requests start to trend upwards as that happened.

We had to discontinue this policy at that point.

We resolved to provide the following:

1. A display of the mailbox limits, so players would know how full their boxes could get
  2. I believe we had also, at some point, increased the mailbox limits as far as was practically possible to 100.
    mailboxlimits

So, while we’re very sorry to hear of Guild of Thieves’ full-mailbox issue here, sadly we’re unable to revisit this policy.

Honestly, I’m not happy about it either - I HATE it when our players’ expectations are not met - and looking to future, I’d like to try and solve the problem, potentially by consolidating Legendary Rewards in the mailbox, like we do with regular Guild Tasks, so it’s not a problem.
There are a couple of code/data-architecture complications with that right now, so it’s not a quick fix, but in much the same way we’ve untangled the server code/data to allow free Hero Class Changes (which will be in 4.2.5, due out soon-ish), this is also something I’d like us to devote some time to early this year.

27 Likes

Woah…“soon-ish” is defined as prior to February in the GoW Dictionary. Noice. :grinning:

Amazing idea. :wink:

So, after Sirrian’s reply, how does it feel to be a casualty of people’s poor choices (taking advantage of the system when they did offer refunds) and a company’s hands more or less being “tied”, due to those poor player choices? Doesn’t it just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

Honestly, I don’t even know what to say about all this. I’m flabbergasted, at best. And, it sucks that you have to be their “example” of their (new-ish) “policy”. Doesn’t that just make you feel swell? Almost about as happy as getting a root canal would make one feel.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not “bad mouthing” any dev, here. People were making crappy choices with a pre-existing policy, so you had to change the policy. Welcome to life, more often than not, it’s unfair. But, it still doesn’t make any of this “right”, by any means.

Also, I wish this “policy” would have been more public before now. Maybe, had that been the case, things like your situation would have happened, less and less. It could have made people more careful about their mail. But, now it is public, and we all know.

Well, “all” is subjective. “All” is those of us on the forums, right now. But those not on here, or those who come on here 6 months from now, when this thread is buried, will not know. They’ll make a ticket, maybe even a thread (much like this one), and all they’ll get is the canned response of “We don’t offer compensation for this. That’s our policy.” And, maybe someone will even link to this thread, and we’ll all be reminded, once again, just how much life is unfair and rarely does “right” by everyone.

So, here we have it. In short, you’re “just” another statistic. You’re “just” another person we can fill under the “life is unfair” category. And, in the grand scheme of things, life will go on, Gems of War will go on. But, I’m sure people won’t fully forget about this. Especially, because if something doesn’t change, it will happen again and again. And, each time, this thread will be referenced, you’ll be referenced. Almost like a court case that sets a precedent. “Sorry, but there’s nothing we can do”, they’ll say, “This is just our ‘policy’.”

3 Likes

Hi Sirrian!

I thank you for having take on your time to answer about that. I understand the problem of having too many requests from players about that. But here a few points about this case:

It was not just a few Legendary tasks that my member missed but it was 1500 gems from Guild war!!! I can assure you he wouldnt even had contacted your customer support if it was just some LTs missing. He is only asking for his 1500 gems he deservely won in last Guild war.

Also in mailbox its written “Limit of 100 in mailbox”. Nowhere its stated that mail 101 will replace mail 1, then mail 102 will replace mail 2 etc… The first 100 mails should stay and the following mails 101, 102,… should not be able to enter mailbox! At your home, in your real mailbox, if its full, will the mailman remove the oldest mail to then insert a new mail?
I can accept a limit of 100 mails but its unacceptable that the most important mail (Guild war in that case) have been replaced by another mail!

So while I can understand this stand of not giving rewards of missing mails when there have been too many Legendary tasks completed, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS KEEP GIVING THE MISSING GUILD WAR REWARD if any player contact your customer support about that! Its not just a normal mail like any other ones.

Happy new year and long live gems of war!

@Sirrian

5 Likes

Starting effective last week. You could start a new policy that any player over a certain VIP level will be reimbursed any missing mail. Tickets already ask for the persons VIP level and it’s not hard to check to make sure they aren’t fibbing about it.
Also, if you have more than one person in a guild abuse the system then just penalize that guild. Not everyone in the game.
Or… Start the policy of ONLY reimbursing missing guild wars rewards from the system if the mail gets deleted.

It’s cool that eventually this issue won’t be a problem. But right now it is. There should be more focus on making loyal customers happy. Sometimes doing what’s “not fair” is actually the most “fair” decision.
This thread should be locked. You should send the player 1500 gems and be done with it. In this one case… Trying to save your support staff time has caused EVERYONES time to be wasted. :grinning:

3 Likes

To think this happened during Christmas, a time where people should be spending time with their loved ones. I know I’d probably quit the game if it happened to me, so I could only imagine how much of a negative experience this will cause Slumzee, especially if he’s buying the Ring of Wonder every month.

What’s the point of playing a live service game where the developers don’t care about their players? shrug

I’m glad that Sirrian posted as it was very informative, but I’ve never been a fan of blanket statement policies. Too many innocent people get caught in the wrong end of arbitrary rulings that screws them even if its barely related to the initial reason the blanket statement was created in the first place.

One day, the servers are going to suffer (more than they have been the last few days) and people are going to not receive completed regular tasks with gems in it and guess what the above says? Piss off, your fault for playing the game.

I mean, I’ve already seen it happen twice, but customer support was amazing back then. So it got resolved. Cyrup and Kafka still are amazing (haven’t met Vex), but they’re going to take the brunt of this hands tied deal with upset players that really doesn’t need to happen.

8 Likes