PVP Change Notes July 24th 2024

Just to be completely fair, games are like the arts, the creators can’t please everyone. We all want different things from games. If someone does not want to make money off of their creations, the best thing to do would be to ignore us all and please themselves. haha

But if you are going to sell what you make, it’s a whole different thing. Sometimes you have to give in to the customer requests, other times you have to trust your vision and hope people hang with you. And that’s ignoring the fact that your customers can’t agree with what they want, and everyone is convinced that they are correct and in the majority.

All we can do is keep giving our honest feedback, for the good of the games we love. And hope that the devs make choices that are good for the game.

2 Likes

So a guy who did no blood frenzy before the change has a 97% win rate now with 200 battles since yesterday and will likely force me to fight tonight to keep my spot after i was 30k up

Blood frenzy offers zero advantages to the higher level players anymore. Actually hes 300 levels above me. 1700. So he has all troops most likely and didnt play blood frenzy till yesterday. So scratch that. Blood frenzy was changed for players who were too lazy to change their teams or too scared of stellarix.

Change it back. Now

Maybe player #2 is a weekend player and only started recently doing PvP. They didn’t come out of nowhere, they just were waiting until they had the time to play.

Also #2 is at a very high level, even if it were harder, they have the SKILLS and the TROOPS to easily win in Blood Frenzy. Plus they have a really awesome reputation as a lovely and nice person. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So…they will in spirit always be #1. :heart:

4 Likes

No they waited until the change happened and stellarix was gone. They started yesterday. I can easily win against stellarix on blood frenzy too. I had a 90% win rate vs it with 200+ battles before the change.

Why is it the ones that talk the most about PvP seem to play the least? If you’re consistently on the LB your analysis has merit. If ya ain’t it’s just jibber jabber.

1 Like

They really shouldn’t touch Stellarix, Wand of Stars and the Elementalist class.

Depowering isn’t always the best solution.

As for the Elementalist class, it would be bad for everyone, especially new users. I don’t know how many battles I’ve won thanks to extra turns being blocked, skulls not taking damage, gem explosions gaining mana, and so on. When you don’t have many troops, and you have to use what you have, especially in events, it becomes fundamental.

As for Stellarix, there is little to say. The way in which it can be obtained is terrible, there is nothing worse than trying by luck, also spending a lot of resources that are not easy to obtain. Once you have decided to do something like this, which I repeat, is terrible, even thinking about weakening it is disgusting.

Finally, Wand of Stars. Downgrading the most powerful weapon in the game would only serve to make it useless. There is no middle ground. Either it is left as it is, or it becomes completely useless as it was, for example, with Calcedonio and co. Already now it is not rare that the gems created do not match those on the board, and it ends up being to the opponent’s advantage. it is a very strong weapon but as you can see it is also very risky and has its negative sides.

So, here’s my solution for PvP, very simple: just add a new realm where you’re up against completely random teams. Do you remember the beginning of this new PvP? When you found completely random teams without even a hero? Here, finding teams with random troops, without a hero, which give a lower amount of VP than the other areas with the various restrictions. In this way PvP would be for everyone, there would be simpler battles for those who want them and more difficult battles for those who want to face bigger challenges.

4 Likes

Actually it had absolutely nothing to do with Stellarix. This has been my normal play all along. I finished everything else that I wanted to complete this week, I had no plans last night, so it was a perfect night to sit and grind on PvP while watching Netflix. No hidden agenda at all. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Pretty sure Steve Ritchie would have something to say here…

1 Like

Yes, that is another factor you have to control for, but it’s not impossible to design a test for it. Whether the first cast loops or not should be good enough to determine if there’s any statistical difference between player v. cpu upon cast.

Or, as a simpler test to compare by, just collect data about Chalcedony v. Chalcedony or something like that – basic single-color Gem creation and nothing more. Log the # of same-color Gems on board prior to cast and the results will obviously form a curve of an increasing loop % with increasing Gems, but we’re interested in whether said curve differs between player and cpu.

Nor the worst.

Sometimes a fix (or a nerf) is easy. This may or may not be one of those cases, but it doesn’t mean that nobody should try.

1 Like

Honestly just stop whining about this. I played PVP in the old system, was 1 on the Leaderboard several times. I played PVP in the new system before they added heroes, was No 2 in Global Leaderboard and 1 in League Boards several times, I played PVP when Stellarix and Wand was around, No 2 in global and 1 in League Board several times, I am playing PVP now, again 1 in League Board…and I am a working person not retired with lots of time. Yes I know you do not care about leader boards but that is how you get Gold Marks. Do not call players lazy. That is insulting. You are not so special. I like the new system and so do many others. Either way I adapt…but just remember you are only one person and your whining is not going to change things if the majority are happy.

6 Likes

I am a woman. I am not a woman who is lazy, scared, or trying to plot your demise though. Lol

4 Likes

No one is forcing anyone to play blood frenzy. The people complaining are doing so because they want the hard mode to be easy which is ridiculous instead of just using the different levels of difficultly built into pvp you want everything to be easy for you.

Just confirming this. PVP is the current focus, after PVP is Guild Wars, after that, I don’t know yet, but we’re not going to be all PVPPVPPVPPVPVPVPVPVPVP forever, just for now as it has been such a huge rework we needed to break it up into several updates, and it’s better to get them all done and out the gate while we’re all in PVP mode than to try to switch from area to area and having to remember where we left off in the code and things. Makes it easier to get more done if we don’t have to change direction and bounce around between things.

We have other content for endgamers, PVP is for everyone, always has been.
Obviously though, it’s endgamers who top the leaderboards every week. So you can still perform at an endgame level in PVP, but we don’t block out early to midgame players either.

This is an interesting idea. I will actually put this forward because it is a potential solution to something a lot of people in the Diamond League have been saying.

But the Players at the top of the Global Leaderboard can still have their own league boards so they can still earn League Board rewards, just remove them from other player’s league boards under specific circumstances maybe.

I’ll suggest it and we’ll see - I can’t promise anything I just personally think it sounds like a good idea :slight_smile:

This is also a good point and I’ll be sure to discuss this with the team.

Other points I’ve raised with the team: Casual PvP plz, opponents based on teamscore, not hero level.

I didn’t say this? I’ve been consistently saying everyone plays PVP :sweat_smile:

I think maybe all our definitions of new players aren’t lining up which is some of the cause for disagreements in this thread on some small points. For example, you can be level 1,000 as a new player in my books. You only need to play for 6-8 weeks to reach level 1,000 even without a Guild. But you’re only going to have a small number of Mythic Troops and unlevelled Classes so you’d have to have lucky Mythic pulls that happen to be the most popular PVP counters in order to have a chance in PVP. But at this point you will definitely be seeing all Stellarix and co. Teams offered as all 3 PVP opponents. Being level 1,000 helps, but you need time to build and improve your collection, and while joining an active Guild goes a LONG way in helping with that process, you can’t really speed run real time. Basically, Hero level is not the only indicator of newness - time since account creation is too.

Obviously we’ve received a lot of PVP feedback, for example about difficulty, the meta teams, the point scoring at different levels, Alliance balancing etc.

But why specifically does PVP feel like a chore for you? Is it the above or something else entirely?
It would also be interesting to know which is your favourite game mode and why you have fun in that game mode?

If this is the Shell I know, they’re highly active and know how to play afaik, it’s not a surprise to see them being competitive with or without the change. But I understand the general concerns about the points, Shell was probably just not a good example but it’s fine, didn’t need the screenshot to be an accurate representation in this case.

As an ex-New World player this cuts deep :flushed:

:raised_hands: you get it Tresk!

Ultimately, everyone here all wants what’s best for the game. Even if we all have differing opinions on what that is, every single one of us in this thread and at the studio want this <3

Thanks all for taking the time to continue discussing this and for keeping it civil despite it being a topic with a lot of passion behind it. I’ve pulled some real useful gems of feedback and it’s been great reading the discussion.

9 Likes

@Kafka, thank you for passing on our feedback, but we need to know if our loyalty in the alliance is kept or reset when the next patch comes out.

Losing 60+ days of loyalty will make even more players quit out of confusion and frustration…

1 Like

Judging by this forum the people that like this change are the minority

I understand. Im frustrated right now because I know that tomorrow with the change and a new week that im probably going yo have to do 400 fights to get #1 again.

I have over a million VP and I have placed on the leaderboard many times. The only reason I play PVP is for gold marks - Books. I do not play arena or treasure hunt because the rewards are worthless and not worth my time.

Nerfing extremely useful troops, weapons or classes in the name of PVP will cause me to leave the game. These tools help make the boring part of the game less so by allowing us to get through them faster. I’ll use dungeons as an example. I doubt anyone is logging on after reset every day excited for their 3 dungeon battles but most of us play them every single day for diamonds and the chance of dragonite. Obviously I could simply go back to a team that doesn’t use the above tools if nerfed but it’s just going to make those battles more tedious than necessary.

I just can’t get over the fact that PVP has built in difficulty levels already and the majority of people complaining are making the choice to play the most difficult level and then complaining that it’s too hard. It honestly doesn’t make sense. They want the best rewards without any effort. I hope most people can recognize that’s just not how most things in life work. And I’m not talking about blood frenzy being something that takes 10 minutes to win one battle or it being something where you win only 1 out of 10 battles. It is completely reasonable to have a 90-95% win rate in the most difficult level of PVP. It is completely reasonable and should be expected to lose sometimes in a game and in life. There are plenty of counters that have been discussed endlessly as well as the always available option to not play blood frenzy battles.

4 Likes

Pvp feels like a chore because of the leaderboard and gold mark farming. My brain goes off and i go into “gotta go fast” mode. Trying to finish as many blood frenzy battles as i can as quickly as i can. Purely for the reward. Im worried now that with this change im going to have to fight a lot more battles. Usually 200 is enough to secure the brackets im in. I expect double that starting this week. I dont enjoy pvp. If the gold marks werent attached id not play it.

My favorite modes? All the guild events where we work together. Except for journey because of obvious reasons

Its hard for me to get context on some of these posts, since there’s always a reference to “endgamers”.

But what do you consider an endgamer exactly? It can change the meaning by a large amount.

2 Likes

Exactly. Playing the hardest pvp mode because you want thr double vp and then complaining about said mode being too hard to the point they make an extremely specific change to make said hardest pvp mode easier…

Those people that are playing blood frenzy should have 2 options.

1. use the multitude of suggestions on how to beat the teams. Profit. Seriously if you have the troops its not hard at all. You will lose 10% of your battles against stellarix teams if you are any good at the game if you have the troops.

Use the spell shield monolith every day too. It will give you an extra chance if stellarix gets a cast.

1. Don’t play blood frenzy

The fact that the option that was clearly chosen was “Complain until the devs make blood frenzy easier” and then the devs actually making that change (and not only that i feel like we are in for stellarix nerfs due to the complainers) is quite frankly infuriating to me.

2 Likes