Pruning Inactive/Dead Guilds

@Mariana Yes, and I fully agree myself. In this thread at least everyone is, for the most part, agreeing that 0 member guilds need to be pruned, especially if they have been 0 members for x months.

@Lardy-Porker Yes I started a casual guild to our main guild and noted this same thing. Actually ranging in the thousands for PS4. Considering 0 and 1 member guilds. Whereby even the 1 member guilds might not have seen a login for a very long time. Which to me is just like have a 0 member guild. Inactivity. As I mentioned above this value ranged up to 15,000 guilds being at 0 or 1 member, and also having under 10 trophies for a forest of them right out of the gate. So not only inactive, but the guild has not even seen anything after it was created.

And 15,000 was a real number for 0 and 1 member guilds, additionally the magnitude of guilds with 0 trophies to match. Let alone anything over 50 trophies, if they could manage past 10. Pruning exists, space is not infinite when it comes to what can be stored.

Now if you take what was observed on the PS4 at 15,000 (you can make a guild and climb as I have to notice this as well, its a true figure), and state its 60,000 over all platforms (guessing I know). That is 60,000 now.

If you simply look at PS4 then GoW was released Nov 16, 2015. Considering the current date if 4/8/2018 this is 2 years, 4 months, and 23 days, or just 2 years, 5 months or 29 months. Then you take 29 months and consider 15,000. This is roughly saying there are 517.24 guilds to fill in each of these months. Or 6,206.89 guilds that end up like this yearly. Without pruning based on just PS4 observation, dead or inactive guilds would be (based on years the game exists) :

1 : 6,206.89
2 : 12,413.79
3 : 18,620.68
4 : 24,827.58
5 : 31,034.48

Now lets just say for sake of argument that this is shared across all platforms. Thatā€™s 124,137.93 guilds either inactive or dead at the 5 year mark.

Yes these figures and data are not entirely accurate as I counted 1 member guilds which may still be active, etc. It is why I say ā€˜roughā€™. So the actual base number may and can be lower than 15,000. Its just a placeholder to show you without pruning how out of control it would get.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been inactive for over a year and Iā€™ve just returned. So there goes that ā€œneverā€. I have a guild. I donā€™t appreciate others telling me it should be removed because they assume itā€™s never going to be used again. There are so many games out there that people end up playing other games whilst ignoring games they were playing before. I want to get back into GoW but Iā€™d like to be able to play my account on Xbox One since I recently got one.

2 Likes

I think that is completely reasonable. I canā€™t speak for anyone else, but I think the problems weā€™ve identified could be improved by:

1. Disband any guild with zero members,
  2. Remove any guild with zero activity in the last 30 days from guild wars
  3. Prevent the in-game guild finder from suggesting guilds where there has been no activity for X days.

Guilds like yours donā€™t need to be disbanded, but they donā€™t need to be in the GW list or attracting newbies when there is no one there to run them.

13 Likes

:bulb: And we have a winner!

@Saltypatra what do you think?

3 Likes

Why should these guilds cannot have the free stuff?

I donā€™t even know what guild wars is. I imagine they canā€™t participate anyway if nobody is active in the guild.

My guild isnā€™t empty at all.

I think @Icarium81 was talking about zero-member guilds.

I completely support your desire to keep your 1 member guild going, even if you donā€™t play for a long time, and I think most here do.

The problem with Guild Wars is inactive guilds (empty or not) that therefore donā€™t field teams. This problem is endemic at the lower brackets-- my training guild is just facing its first real GW opponent TODAY. The first 5 days were all against ghost guilds.

Removing inactive guilds (however people want to define that) from Guild Wars wouldnā€™t affect you at all-- if/when you start playing again, if you want to do Guild Wars you would just register (or re-register) for it. :hugs:

I hope that the truly dead guilds with zero members are removed. I think that would make most people happy.
There are basically two threads about this issue.
Letā€™s try @Kafka for a response

1 Like

@Mariana did you see me lurking on the forum? :stuck_out_tongue:

Weā€™ve been taking note of everyoneā€™s feedback regarding inactive Guilds, the team is aware of the issue and we know itā€™s a hot topic for our community.

At this stage though I donā€™t have any update on what is going to happen or any ETA regarding this.
When we have an update about this weā€™ll be sure to announce it :slight_smile:

Iā€™m sorry for the wait as I know itā€™s important to you all.

9 Likes

1 member? Mine has about 13 when I checked yesterday. I donā€™t know if any of them are active though as the layout has changed so much since I was last on. So no idea how to see member information.

And by what you are saying it seems guilds have to register for guild wars so by rights truly inactive guilds wouldnā€™t be in GW anyway since theyā€™ve not been active on the game to actually register it.

@Kafka thatā€™s a load of b.s. do you know how long it should take to implementā€¦
Something along the lines of: if guild member/count equals 0 then deleteā€¦ DONE. But I understand your dev team would rather try to squeeze some more cash out of the players you have left, over actually improving the quality of the game for them.

I did see you lurking on the forum :blush:
Glad to hear the team has been taking note of this issue and itā€™s importance.
Looking forward to an update soon.
Thanks.

3 Likes

If it were that easy, we would have done it already! Game development isnā€™t about just changing numbers to fix problems. This is an entire feature that needs to be reconsidered and balanced so that any changes donā€™t cause further issues.

Please watch your language, again.

8 Likes

How is removing zero member guilds going to cause problems?
All that ever gets said is a lot of lip service and arguments against quality of life fixesā€¦
Sure a lot of guilds will get shuffled upwards but thatā€™ll sort itself out quickly enough.

My understanding is at one time there WAS a fix, and players complained and asked the devs to break it. I think some modifications (with effort) would make it work out.

My understanding is the original GW release didnā€™t have ā€œregistrationā€. Everyone participated, dead guild or not. Registration was added because dead guilds were seen as a problem. But there was another problem: guild leaders would forget to register for GW and thought it was stupid theyā€™d lose their hard-earned position due to being busy. So everyone gets auto-registered, just like the first time.

My understanding is that removing the guilds entirely has a big impact on causing people to decide never to return again. Some people take 3 month breaks, come back, and presumably start their guilds again.

I think some kind of system where if you have zero participation in a GW it stops auto-registering you until the next time you manually register is a kind of compromise? I donā€™t know. This still lets a one -person guild play one match per GW and keep griefing to their heartā€™s content.

I feel like the game is very biased against players starting new guilds. Itā€™s hard to run a guild, so maybe thatā€™s wise.

1 Like

Single person guilds shouldnā€™t be participating in guild wars to begin with. Should be 5 minimum so they can field a full team

Also @Cyrup why should dead zero member guilds being removed cause any sort of shakeup if they arenā€™t registering for guild warsā€¦ All sorts of odd things going on for a supposed system

Well, that may not be our exact solution is my point I suppose! We might have to come to a compromise or improvement that doesnā€™t work specifically by removing guilds from Guild Wars that have 0 members. Thereā€™s been a number of suggestions here.

I think you mean, why would they not cause a concern if theyā€™re not in Guild Wars? But, they are - To register you need to have a member in a guild to register in the first place, so, technically that player could be participating (albeit, annoyingly taking up space in the brackets). And technically, that guild is not empty. Whether or not they stop actively doing Guild Wars is another thing, then perhaps they leave the guild and the guild is there empty. Perhaps that player wants to find other guildies and just hasnā€™t gotten around to it. Maybe everyone abandoned them mid Guild Wars. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thereā€™s multiple factors that need to be considered.

Weā€™re working on some ways to improve this in the future, and make it easier to find or start a guild as a new user. But thatā€™s far down the track.

My comment is entirely aimed at those zero member guilds aka dead.
Inactive onesā€¦ see my previous suggestion but you guys of course would need to determine how many Heā€™s constitute a decent time frame to drop down brackets.

2 Likes