Pet and 3.4 Stream Summary (From Salty's Twitch Stream)

The 1-hour windows won’t bother me IF:

• The rewards are balanced around what an average player should be able to accomplish. That is, if someone actually checks their game every hour of every day and pulls in a lot of rewards, the rewards are NOT nerfed because of those kind of outliers. Rewards should be balanced for the average, not the no-lifers.

• The events can be triggered often enough where an average player can expect to see them on a frequent-enough basis to see value without feeling like they’re being strong-armed into being tethered to the game 24/7. That is, the events are not made artificially rare to account for the above-mentioned no-lifers.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, the event I played in stream is what you’ll see for the pet day. When someone encounters a pet gnome and defeats it the one hour window will activate.

Does that help?

8 Likes

@Saltypatra, you could probably also confirm that the event you showed had 5 hours left, rather than 24 hours, because it was 5 hours until daily reset when Sirrian set it up for you?

4 Likes

Yes that is the gist of it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think you are looking at it from the wrong angle, from the actual backlash the devs are surely taking their time before making any comment, but a very possible reasoning for such short time for the rescue could be:

• Pets are surely collectibles, something very individual since they don’t help your guild.
  • BUT, they thought it would be nice to share such event with your guildmates. So, if you get a chance to rescue one, your whole guild can ALSO TRY to rescue one too. And if someone in your guild also trigger the event, you can also benefit from it too.

Yes, international guildmates, timezones and such are barriers on this sort of advantage/bonus, BUT if the devs chose to make the rescue event something entirely solo like you suggested, then everyone will be at loss.

@Saltypatra, the pet gnome will appear only in PVP? I feel like this is some sort of control imposed on us to avoid too many Pet’s Rescues on a single day if we have a chance to find these gnomes on explore… But wouldn’t the team consider a change to make them also available at Warlord IV for example?

Restricting this feature to PVP only can surely lead to some burnout after facing the same teams over and over in any given meta and this should be considered carefully.

Casual PVP should still work just as it does for weekly events. That at least gives you the option to re-roll your opponent choices at a cost of only gold.

2 Likes

Respectfully, i’m not convinced… The whole PVP experience is not well-tuned for players that eventually reach level 200+… PVP irks even me at level 1200+ with all troops , except Xathenos, fully upgraded.

A new feature entirely tied to PVP, even if Casual PVP counts, planned around a constraint of how long a battle takes (if my suspicion is correct) seems like a very poor idea… :expressionless:

1 Like

That’s fair. I find PVP less and less enjoyable as time passes, but when I’ve wanted to grind out some wins for gold, I haven’t struggled using my dragon team for easy brainless wins doing 1 trophy casual lately. At worst, I have to re-roll two or three times to get an easy battle. I’m level 1240 or so and have all troops fully upgraded (though I am missing a few Mythics). Even in ranked PVP, my win rate is very high (like 98-99% over the last few weeks), but I’m not shy about taking a 1 or 2 trophy matchup if I don’t like the looks of the 3-trophy. Maybe things are a little less monotonous on PS4, I don’t know.

1 Like

I have the vague impression that all Console folks, in a certain sense, had at least this benefit from having us PC/Mobile players doing all the “play-testing” things before parity on all plataforms. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

We also had the “benefit” of completely F’ed up Guild Guardians for a year until the Unity build hit PC/Mobile and you all started to understand what we’d been complaining about.

Seriously though, the meta seems pretty consistent from platform to platform. I see the same stuff that everyone from PC/Mobile complains about and if I only took the 3 trophy options, I wouldn’t have much fun. From my experience, if you’re willing to take 1 and 2 trophy options, there is plenty of variety available.

4 Likes

This is generally true in PC/Mobile too. Other than getting to PVP rank 1, I usually play casual PVP so I can get some variety. Plus, it’s cheaper to reroll there.

3 Likes

You are surely right that devs added that as a bonus. But you should know that players don’t care about that. They will see it as something that they will miss if they can’t connect at that time.

Imagine a player who farms PVP for 4 hours and don’t get any Pet Gnome. Then go to bed and the day after discover that he “missed” few Pet rescues. Rage quit.
Imagine that after few months, huge discrepancy occurs depending where you live.

And devs already answered:

What? Their solution is to destroy the internationality of the guilds?

As @Rickygervais proposed, just give rescue tickets. Or a in-game mail.

2 Likes

F.O.M.P like Fomo… Will be a real thing. I’m telling yall. Lol
(Fear of missing pets)

I’m aware of that. But i was pointing out that making it a “solo event only” would not be an improvement.

I also see it more or less this way, at least indirectly. The team is misguided in some efforts to address issues that wouldn’t exist in the first place if they would spend some more time thinking about design plans that are attuned to their playerbase modus operandi.

Some deviation from original designs (that made this game well-loved by us all) like the absence of energy systems is acceptable to some extent. But the acquisition of pets, and their extras like foods, so far seems like the most contrived feature they ever designed…

Honestly, if it would be possible (the build was already submited…) they should hold this off until they could figure out something better. IF they would be open to ask us about it in the first place, i’m sure they could probably discard the current plans and not waste resources coding it all until this point of no return…

2 Likes

I have difference feeling about Pet Rescue’s 1 hour window actually. I don’t know if this is what their intended design.

1. I trigger the event myself.
    Nice! Now with some time investment, I garantee to get a pet for sure. On top of that, some of my guild mates who happened to be online within one hour of me could get it too. Awesome!

2. Guild mates trigger the event, while I’m also online to play it.
    Cool! I’m so lucky to be online at this moment, so I could benefit from my friend’s lucky trigger.

3. Guild mates trigger the event, but I’m offline. So I miss it.
    Oh well, I miss the extra chance to get pet. Too bad I’m not online at that moment to get it, but that’s okay. I’m online now, so I can play some PvP and trigger it myself!

Yeah, everything will highly depended on how often pet gnome appear. I think we should try 3.4 for a while before deciding anything further, same as Treasure Gnome. Let’s hope Pet Gnome’s drop rate is not bugged again on release…

9 Likes

I couldn’t agree with @TimeKnight more. He’s got the right of it.

Do people honestly think these 1 hour pet events are going to tear apart guilds??? If it does then the guild was already tenously connected at best and if someone leaves a guild over this then they really aren’t worth having as a guildmate, plain & simple.

3 Likes

It’s the solution proposed by devs! None player said that they want a guild in the same timezone to get more pets.

I absolutely HATE the idea of the 1 hour timer on these pet events. If you’re like me and the only member of your guild from Australia then it’s likely I’ll never get to participate in an event unless I trigger one myself.

4 Likes

But… have you considered the fate of all those poor ownerless pets, destined to stay alone forever because nobody was there to pick them up? Scraping out a meager existence between the discarded corpses of slain monsters? All the while dodging Skull skydrops in an everlasting Bonestorm? It’s sooooo sad. Adopt a pet NOW, don’t let selfish activities like sleep distract you. :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

I think it’s possible due the nature of some individuals and groups.

But my main concern is how poorly the devs thought this through. Such “1 hour window” events could only be worse if it was a “1 hour windom” event triggering at a specific time that is convenient to only a bunch of countries while everyone else in the world would miss it, unless they wake up in the middle of night to play or something like that. Just that.

There is so much they could do that i’ll list only a few things:

• They could improve guild dynamics with specialized duties like giving the players functions/jobs to grow/hunt some type of igredient for pet foods or pet baits. “Oh, we need more “green food” for our pets, so i’ll take this duty while i farm the Green/Whatever traitstones i need.” Using baits could simply be used as some sort of “Pet Chest” giving the guild a random chance to capture some pets depending of the type and quality of the bait. (I know some people would probably dislike “yet another gacha/chest feature”, but the core of this game is all about it…)

• Monster Nests: While your hero was out there being a tool… errr… i mean… being heroic! he found a nest of “Whatevers” with many “whateverlings” you could tame. But you better call your guildmates to handle the angry parents. (This would be in line with the suggestions about guild event being available to all guildmates despite the timezones, the nest was located and the event/information is available for the guild.

• Combat Pets could add a new form of hero customization being integrated into battle as a secondary minor spell effect or trait. The game already handles some extra information/effects as we can see the Gnomes/Valravens with or without their rewards.

2 Likes