[Not A Bug] Extra turns

Platform, device version and operating system:
All.

Screenshot or image:
Not needed.

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
Turn based effects should work on extra turns, since theoretically these -extra- turns are new turns. Instead, extra turns behave like turn extensions.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
Always.

Steps to make it happen again
Get an extra turn.

Solution
Either rename extra turns to turn extensions or make turn based effects work.

1 Like

This is not a bug (technically speaking), but rather a design suggestion.

However, it is important to remember the ramifications of this are not minor. For example, consider the cumulative chance to be naturally cleansed of status ailments at the start of your turn. If an Extra Turn meant everything that happens at the start of your turn happens again, suddenly EVERY team build that relies on Extra Turns (Goblins, Chalcedony, etc) now has access to the poor-man’s-Queen-Beetrix. This would also devalue Frozen as a status effect, since it only applies on a per-color basis so getting an Extra Turn on a non-Frozen color means a new chance to be cleansed of it entirely.

2 Likes

Hello :slight_smile:

This is not a bug, but an intentional design choice.

In short, it is to help with the game balancing so certain effects don’t become too overpowered or underpowered as a result.

2 Likes

Changing ‘Extra turn’ to ‘Extra move’ throughout the game would avoid the semantic issue, but ET is pretty ingrained at this point :smiley:

4 Likes

tmgr has a point though: this is a problem of inconsistent – or at least overloaded – terminology. “Turn” means different things in different contexts.

“Extra turn” could maybe be better named “extra move”.

(ha, redmist’s reply came in as I was writing that…)

2 Likes

I think the issue is just wording. I know that I personally understand why it works the way it does. It SHOULD work the way it does. All good. The wording doesn’t bother ME, because I’ve been playing a long time and I just get it. At the same time, I can kinda see where it could confuse some.

He idea is interesting me. At this stage, if it applies to existing content directly, it is probably too overpowered. They can consider some new content with instant effect on enemy extra turn (like, enemy lose 10% magic whom got extra turn, or freeze random enemy / percentage themselves, destroy 10 most used gems) to balance infinity looping troops.

For wording problem, we cant consider it too much. never ended bug report lol. it is what i experienced and gave up. they often cant describe the content completely. also no consistency. they are skilled with coding not wording. it wont bother you if you just play and not think deeply into their mechanics.

An alternative way to look at it is: effects that apply at the “start” of a turn can be regarded as occurring when the game switches turns (which by definition ignores Extra Turns).

I’d also like to quickly add that if all “start of turn” effects would re-trigger on Extra Turns then not only does this include all positive effects…

• any “start of turn” Traits (Bard class, Queen Ysabelle, etc)
  • natural Cleanse chance & Badges/Medals of Orpheus (devalues opposing status effects like Frozen and Silence)
  • Enchant (free +2 Mana with each Extra Turn? Sure, sign me up!)

but it must include all negative effects as well:

• Poison/Burn/Bleed damage (um…)
  • Death Mark and Lycanthropy (hey, wait a minute…)

Yeah, pretty sure nobody wants that last one to include Extra Turns.

1 Like

Wikipedia defines a bug as following:

A software bug is an error, flaw or fault in the design, development, or operation of computer software that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways.

Now, in the english language you can not split a game turn into smaller parts because of the semantics of the word. You can not have a half of turn, because turns are simply a pointer to a member of a queue. Hence, an extra turn can only mean one new turn, and therefor this is a bug.

It would look much better if it was called, for example, as suggested by @Maisie, extra move. That would imply it’s still the same turn, but you get an extra move.

I assume this is also why you called all extra move effects “when matching 4 or 5 gems” and you did not call them “when getting an extra turn”. It would be just too ambigous.

Gorbil has an ability that triggers with Extra Turns specifically (and will not activate if the turn was Frozen). But yeah, “when matching 4 or 5 gems” is far more common (and is not affected by being Frozen).

1 Like

Ingrained enough that I renamed the Alex pet to Extra Turn!.

2 Likes

Well sure, whatever.
If you just refuse to acknowledge the problem and let it get ingrained even more, do your thing.

However this is a serious flaw and it should be at least considered retrospectively.

1 Like

A while ago they explained how journey event works and how the score is calculated, and I remember that they differentiated a turn (you do an action and your opponent does an action) from a “move” (any action you take, such as matching gems or casting spells). Under this system, you get extra moves, not turns, and that makes more sense, as many effects take place at the beginning of your turn but don’t trigger again for each extra move you get.

EDIT: I tried to post this reply back in November, when you first made this post, and It’s just posted it now, for some reason. Some of what I said has already been said. I doubt they’d bother changing extra turn to extra move, because it’d be a bunch of work and won’t earn any money, but I do agree with you that re-naming it would make more sense.