N00b Gameplay question

Gems are probably best spent on gem chests or event chests: gem chests if you need a large number of epic and legendary troops and event chests if you are targeting specific legendary troops that reside in the kingdom of the weekly event. For example, if you need 15 or 20 different legendaries, opening gem chests will give you a reasonable chance of getting one of them if you open a bunch. If you were looking specifically for Webspinner or The Widow Queen, opening event chests this week would give you a chance of acquiring one or both of them (next week, there will be a different kingdom with 1-3 different Legendary troops available). Event chests cost more gems per key to account for the targeted nature, so you’re best to spend the gems on gem keys if you aren’t looking for a particular Legendary (or epic) troop.

Gems can also be used to help make progress in the weekly guild events (Guild Wars, Raid Boss and Invasion) as well as the occasional Bounty events. Unless you’re in a competitive guild, I’d not spend many gems (if any) in those modes.

Diamonds can be earned by doing the daily dungeons (check out the games menu). 3 new battles appear each day. You can also pick up diamonds from random gnomes, guild tasks and as rewards in the different guild events. Dungeons are the most consistent source, though.

If you’re looking specifically for the Dragon Soul, then farming diamonds to forge him in the soul forge (but you need for him to be one of the 4 legendaries available for crafting in a given week) or waiting for a weekly event in Dragon’s Claw and then using Event Keys, or opening glory chests or gem chests and hoping to get lucky are your 3 main options.

4 Likes

@Stan Got it. Thanks for the breakdown, I got the web spinner already this week, i might go for the Widow, as I have 20 Gem keys, however I hear TDS will be in the mix next week! Since I can only beat the first Boss in Dungeon, due to a lack of traitstones, I only get the reward from beating the 1st boss plus the 50 gem offer, it will be a long grind to 1,000.

I have to remember the phrase “you can’t do that yet”, I’m fast approaching lvl 200 so my PvP battles are way long, since I can’t fully trait, and my opponents are near my level or over so it’s a WAR! So I get it, I have to do PvP and continue to lvl kingdoms, BEFORE I can traitstone farm on a daily basis, but I fear my level , around 189, is going to be a problem with time management hence forth, due to IRL and replaying Skyrim LMAO.

I hear ya not giving gems guild to tasks yet. Maybe never. Yes, I want him, multi hitter + souls, must have IMHO. Either way i’ll keep my 20 gems till Dragon’s claw event, and pray for success! All over 20 i’ll take a chance on The queen.
Thanks @Stan

Hi, just to be clear, gem keys don’t allow you to target specific troops based on the weekly event, it is “event keys” that let you do that. If you have gem keys, you can pretty much open them whenever you want.

If you have gems and want to spend them on keys, then it is a question as to whether you choose event keys (to target specific troops from this week’s kingdom) or gem keys (to get a larger number of troops from all kingdoms).

Another good source of Arcane traitstones is the weekly troop packs that are available for glory. For example, this week, for 400 glory, you can purchase a copy of Tomb Spider which comes with 2 Arcane Lava (Red/Brown) traitstones (plus 5000 gold and some keys). If you have more glory, you can purchase multiple packs to get more copies of the troop, more traitstones, etc. If you can grind to Tier 1 in ranked PVP every week, you should get more than enough glory to purchase at least one pack every week, which will give you a steady source of Arcane traitstones and more gold to level up your kingdoms.

4 Likes
  1. At your level only buy that “offer” on Sunday.

2. Considering you can’t get post the first Boss, save your gems and at the get one Boss killer troop from the next Raid offer. I think its 100 Gems.

3. Do the weekly Event THIS week “Treasure Hunt” it will give you heaps (compared to your stash) of Glory and Gems at your level.

4. I don’t understand that you “have to” do PvP “BEFORE” you Traitstone farm. You can a little of both. Fully Traitng your PvP team is often essential for PvP.

3 Likes

@Strat Thanks for the reply and the breakdown.

1. So Noted . Curious as to why, hope it’s easier on Sunday lol.

2. This thing? It will have a “buy” option? So noted

3. Yep doing that too. Also I heard don’t go for red chests? Stop at green? get in get out for volume tries at event pointss? which ties into:

4. For the tier 1 rewards. was taking 1 day to get there, now takes 2, just due to IRL. I gotta eat man!
    Which means work, and blah,blah, just not enough time to do all this everyday.
    Thanks for the feedback.

3 Likes

Monday to Saturday are ‘color’ days in the dungeon, meaning that both from the dungeon bosses and the purchasable offer packs, you get mostly the colored jewels and a handful of diamonds. On Sundays, the rewards are all diamonds. If you’re going to spend a limited number of gems on these offers, you get the best bang for your buck on Sundays.

I think @Strat and I both read your original message as meaning that you weren’t doing any explore at all until some predetermined level of PVP had been done. Now that you say that you don’t move onto explore in a week until your PVP climb is done, that makes more sense. I do more-or-less the same thing.

3 Likes

@Stan Thanks for the info. Sundays for diamonds sounds like a plan!

My bad. Yep lvl 1 every week, with so much info it’s easy not to be clear on some things. My main problem is PvP has gotten so damn hard now with most opponents the same strength as me, so whoever fills up first proly wins, damn I hate 1 shot AOE cards… Also have to throw in some kingdom leveling and arena action.

This is a very time intensive game IMHO. Keeping me from TWDRTS and I got zombies to kill man, they hardly ever kill themselves…LOL

Thanks for the info

1 Like

@Stan

“gem keys don’t allow you to target specific troops”

got it, i sometimes mix up which keys i am talking about. I will get better with time, the confusion comes when people switch between key talk and chest talk, but that’s on me, to be sure i grok you:

Gem/Glory/Gold chests - basically open at will no special circumstance needed just open, do not accumulate as they do not change based on events or other game parameters.

Event keys/chests- Based on current event kingdom, use to get specific troops offered in specific kingdoms per event. Open if you want or wait for needed or valuable cards. Can be stored up to get certain troops if lucky.

Guild keys/chests - open after guild gets to highest level it can for the week. can be stored if the guild misses its mark for the week.

“If you have gems and want to spend them on keys, then it is a question as to whether you choose event keys (to target specific troops from this week’s kingdom) or gem keys (to get a larger number of troops from all kingdoms).”

Here is where it gets tricky for me I believe I will use gems to buy event keys for now, and only if I don’t manage to pull the troops offered. I think all the other pulls from guild and gameplay, will cover standard troops.

“Another good source of Arcane traitstones is the weekly troop packs”

Yep. I am doing every week regardless of troop, and if stones are what I need or my stock is low, I will buy
multiple packs.

Thanks for the info kind sir.

1 Like

One note on the gem and glory chests:

There is a new mythic troop released every first Friday of the month. For one week (starting with that Friday), the only mythic troop you can pull from glory/gem (and VIP) chests is that specific mythic.

This may not be that relevant to a new player, but it’s worth knowing. If you get lucky and do pull the new mythic, it’s worth it to save your keys after the release week is over so that you have a chance to pull one of the older mythics :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@mitamata Thanks for the info. Seems like i’ll need a calendar to make sure i’m not doing something on the
wrong day LMAO. This very relevant to me. At lvl 19x I need some bad ass troops like now.

Be aware converting raw Gems to Event Chests (as opposed to Gem Chests) will cost you 50% MORE Gems. Considering you have limited troops and 95% of the event kingdom troops are in the Gem Chest, it’s something to consider.

Unless you really want to go fishing for one troop: the brand new specific Legendary.

1 Like

@Strat

Sooooo the plot thickens. What I get from this is, when the Legendary is what I want, use event keys or buy event keys, dbl cost, with gems to hopefully pull 1.

If the Legendary is meh, then use gems to buy GEM chests, at normal cost, in hopes of building my roster based on the kingdom. (or just be satisfied with Gold/Guild pulls for standard troops.

the exception being as @mitamata mentioned, 1st Friday of the month.

Almost. If you change that sentence to “in hopes of building my roster regardless of the kingdom”, then you have it. Gem chests can give any ultra-rare and up troop that is currently available. Full-stop. The “currently available” part changes a little bit during mythic exclusive weeks (like right now) in that if the RNG decides that the gem chest that you opened will award a mythic, that will be the exclusive mythic. In all other weeks, it could be any of the previously released mythics. Oh, and that is for the entire week following the first friday of the month, not just the first friday of the month.

So, if you need lots of different epic and legendary troops, you’ll get more troops for the same number of gems buying gem chests. If you want troops specific to the weekly kingdom’s event, and are willing to fork over the extra gems, then buying event chests is worthwhile.

I think you might have meant the same thing, but I just want to be 100% sure that we’re saying the same thing.

1 Like

Explaining the different Chests, and exclusive periods, in combination to event week for a new player reminds me of the post few weeks ago. They suggested a simple ‘x’ help button on each Chest (obviously different on each platform). To tell everyone what is in it (or not in) at that current time.

2 Likes

Yeah they really should be more clear on the ONLY ONE mythic for a week.

It’s just that it would be such a long list for most of the keys. Even if they just did it on event keys, that would be super-helpful.

It’s such a complicated system that they almost need to do something. Having a way to verify that certain things (seasonal imps, new releases, bounty troops 3.5 weeks after release, etc.) are actually there would also be awesome.

I think that is the one part of this that is maybe the clearest. Do you think the wording on the event announcement needs to be different? Like defining what “exclusive” means?

It can definitely be confusing when there is an “exclusive” mythic in glory/gem/guild/VIP chests and a different weekly kingdom mythic in event chests.

@Stan Thanks OB1 !

Yep what you said is what I meant, however it makes more sense the way you say it. LMAO
This game makes me think English is my 3rd language. With the help of the forum I can hope to stay the course.

Makes a lot more sense now. Thanks

1 Like

This probably won’t be helpful at your level but VIP chests are also available for 50 gems/chest. Unfortunately you need to be VIP level 5 to open VIP chests, which will cost you about $130 in real money…

These chests give you (I’ve heard) about a 1% chance for a Mythic and 10% chance for a Legendary, much higher odds than you’ll find anywhere else. Best of all, even the ‘dud’ chests will give you either 2 Epic troops or 2 Arcanes (plus 2000 gold).

I try to save up 2250 gems to get a 10% discount on the VIP chests-- 2250 will buy 50 chests.

Here’s what I got when I cashed in my gems about a month ago when Champion of Anu was the new Mythic… note that I didn’t get the Mythic! :face_with_monocle: Still I was pretty happy with this haul!

I made this graphic for some in my guild who were asking about VIP chests, thought I would share it here too–

2 Likes

@Lardy-Porker DAMN!!! sweet haul, i’m jealous.

As it happens i’m F2P, so money is out, however
I would like to know how u scrooge McDucked long enough to get 2250 GEMS!!!

I would kill for those traitstones is that every Arcane in the game? Is all that from opening 1 chest!? So you win the game after all that right?