Lycanthropy, the why and the moving forward

If they think that is a good business plan. There are already quite a few who stopped playing because of it and other’s reaction is to stop spending money.

But who knows maybe there are enough players who keep playing and paying because they are addicted or whatever even though they don’t like it. Could be good enough for 505’s money bags, so why give a s… about quality.

1 Like

I just wanted to say, current campaign is based on Lycanthropy, and if they remove it, then there’s no plan B… players would be left without any WE for next 2 months. with no alternative events in their place…

now, i’m not sure if that’s a better perspective from player view…

besides not everyone hates lycanthropy. some (like me) see it as just another part of game, without any special feelings towards it (neither like or dislike). Players active on forums are just a very small minority. Even if all forum players would stop playing, that wouldn’t have any impact on developer.

Only thing that could possibly make DEVs revert an update would be a massive loss of playerbase (like 5-10% of total players in first week/month after release). But guess the numbers aren’t any close to that…

1 Like

I’ve tried really hard to avoid the Lyca subject, started to visit this forum less, because there is nothing else left but lyca related stuff. Looked outside the window everytime a delve failed and thought, hmm, maybe i’ll just try to kill everything a bit faster on the next run before lyca hits the fan. But! When many guildies start asking questions if it’s forever, is it gonna be changed, why it even exists… All I can say is, hang in there for two months and hopefully, maybe it will go away at least for a little time. Two months will go fast… I can take it, but my heart cries blood, because my guild mates are having a hard time… Playing a game…

6 Likes

They did announce the changes they want to do (halving troop health, fixing ravens and gnomes), and that’d be fixed in 5.6. There’s just no date yet. There’s no comment about other bugs either (removing gem skills should have no affect, like no mana gain, but it triggers lycanthropy.

IMO, they need to patch this before 5.6. Make it a 5.5.something. The patch needs to be part of this campaign. I’m fine with the lycan gems but they need to work; they don’t. It’s jank. Waiting for 5.6 and all the new stuff it includes (I’m assuming it’s more than just lycan patches) would take too long.

Definitely weird there’s nothing in game saying it’s lycan gems, or heroic gems in general, are temporary. :woman_shrugging: I’ve been seeing the same questions if it’s permanent too.

2 Likes

This exactly!! If I have understood correctly there are no other players from our guild here, so I can only imagine what it feels like to have lycan gems all of a sudden, not having a clue what is the purpose… so a little more info to the game would be nice… There are a LOT of people in the dark…

2 Likes

^ For real. I must have answered the “are these permanent?” question at least a dozen times in the last few weeks. And I’m sure there’s people who just skipped asking, assumed “yes” as the answer and decided they don’t want to stick around because of that.

Why is it so hard to put more info in the game? Have Luther say “These will spawn during the Moon Flask campaign” for now, you can always take it out later. Put it in the Moon Flask campaign news item. Or in the campaign lore.

11 Likes

Ive always disliked that there is no real info on the game IN the game. Yes, when you first begin the game basic mechanics are detailed, but as patches happen and updates or just the scoring for the weekly event. Not everyone knows to go to the forums every day for information. Even if you there is just a popup with a link to take your to patch notes. Lord knows the popup to buy upgrades for the new mythic pop up often enough even after I have it fully upgraded

4 Likes

I didn’t mean kill the campaign or the World events and I never said that, just fix Lycanthropy, fix how lycan gems are applying lycantrhopy, fix the convert gems bug, and stop the dropping of lycan gems in game modes outside of World events, or at least in delves pure runs are hard enough even without being extra trolled by the devs.

Ok.
Here’s my opinion:
fix Lycanthropy- it should work like transform, nothing more to fix with it

fix how lycan gems are applying lycantrhopy - only thing that coukd be changed is that lyc shouldnt be applied when lyc gems are destroyed by explosion. they should apply effect, if they are matched or destroyed by non- explosion. Reasoning: exploding mana gem gives only half mana, but destroying it gets full effect
fix the convert gems bug - disagree here- lyc gems shouldnt be converted when converting purple gems. Only way of getting them of the board without applying effect would be, by exploding them or creating gems in place of lyc gems
stop the dropping of lycan gems in game modes outside of World events - also disagree, heroic gems should drop in all gem modes, if they are active. They should drop, if they aren’t active
or at least in delves - if you think more about it, there are few factions where lyc gems can actualy HELP you, by transforming your high rng troop into a decent and reliable beast troop, these are minority. Other than that i’d recommend ignoring pure delve runs until end of current campaign- lyc gems should stop dropping once event is over (but all troops applying random status effect might apply lyc anyway, even after campaign). Ofc you can hammer your head against the wall and blame wall constructor wall(devs) is to hard to beake, but thats your decision.

:man_shrugging:
Anyway, i’m already preparing some nachos and coke for a real RIVER OF HATE about lyc gems that will start flowing on forum tomorrow, once new faction is up.
This will be entertaining. :sunglasses:

The reason this is a bug is because it is inconsistent with skulls and doom skulls. Spells that convert skulls to something else include doomskulls. So spells that convert purple to something else should include lycan.

6 Likes

Sytro’s just going to continue to disagree by saying doomskulls aren’t Heroic Gems; therefore, there is no precedent to stand upon from that point of view :laughing:

3 Likes

Too bad I didnt predict all the lycan bugs. I wouldve tested if Uber doomskulls were included in Finley’s skill.

3 Likes

For the guy who keeps telling people to quit the game. I did, multiple times, but it never worked for long. So, I quit trying to quit. :slight_smile:

I miss the old days where updates were a source of excitement and anticipation, not dread. Seems like there are more bad features than good. I’ll be here until their leaning tower of game design falls over. If enough bad things like lycanthropy gems get added, this will become a farce and we all can step back and laugh.

14 Likes

Good prediction. I just wanted to ask, if Uber Doomskulls behaved same way as Doomskulls… but as @snooj mentioned he didn’t test it :man_shrugging:

So I’d guess Heroic Gems won’t be affected by such spells.

OK, but THERE’s definately a BUG, which I just tested myself:

When you use a troop that has “transform all gems of a chosen color into [new_color]” and you EXPLICITELY click on Lycanthropy gem. If converts all PURPLE instead, leaving Lycanthropy gem untouched.

That’s not how I’d assume it should work… if I can pick Lycanthropy gem to convert i’d assume, he WILL be converted as a result. So it either should convert or be untargetable by such spells.

Now time to write down bug report :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I thought about it and I will say it:
Lycanthropy can help you win delves exactly the same way as playing slot machines or lottery or whatever of that sort can help you earn money. Somebody wins huge jackpot once in a blue moon; thousands win nothing day after day. Using this as an argument in favour of something is…dubious at best.

Let’s see, there are 140 beasts in the game currently… So - what are the odds that the troop in exact position in your team will be transformed into exact beast that will win you the game?

6 Likes

Yeep, but on the other side, some faction are so RNG dependet that doing them potionless is like winning money from slot machine or lottery… so what’s the differance? :man_shrugging:

thing it doesn’t have to be “EXACT POSTITION” or “EXACT BEAST”…
I’ll take transforming any of my troops into any beast that has devour chance…
I even had that happen in Lyrasza’s Lair few days ago, when one of my Lyrasza’s got transformed into Kharybdis… heck i spammed a lot of her spell and even got that 10% devour proc few times…
But unfortunately that wasn’t enough to brake to boss room… was short like 1 skull match (all other troops were wiped out) :frowning_face:

so it can happen
now, during current event I saw maybe 2 transforms by Lycanthropy to trigger, but it didn’t affect my play at all… (either transformed enemy or one of my troop)

anyways, i still keep my opinion that Lycanthropy is neither good or bad… it’s just as it is… one real change i would like to see to it, is to work like transforming enemy troop → so if it triggers new troops should be half of original level and traitless, currently they stay same lvl and keep their traits (just like self-transform)

1 Like

So, if you’re running a race with a 20lb weight on your right foot, it’s OK to put a 20lb weight on your left foot, right? After all, you’ve already got one weight on, what’s the difference?

Of course you would. 9 beasts have devour in their spell. Out of 140 (currently) beasts. Hitting the 6% chance would be awesome. But not very likely. Or counted on.

2 Likes

still better than counting my Dementicores will steal attack most of the time…

not realy sure what you were trying to point out here… guess you complately missed my point of view

If it swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, flies like a duck then it is a duck.
Lycan gems look purple, match purple so they should be purple gems like the regular ones!
If I transform purple gems it should be transformed, if I remove purples it should be removed with or without triggering the effect depending on how the spell works. When exploded it should apply the effect, just as skulls do dmg or mana gem gives mana.

9 Likes