Is it time to nerf Psion?

I’m sorry to blow your theory out the window but for giggles I looked at the top 30 on pc/iOS and here’s what I found:

7 teams with psion
5 teams with famine
5 teams with mab
9 teams with dawnbringer
8 teams with infernus
Some misc other teams like goblins, trolls & dragons

On top of that 11 of the top 30 had def win ratios of 38-60%. Still going to tell me that those on the leader boards are trying to lose def battles and not using grief teams or teams they are hoping to win with?? Apparently 7 of the top 30 feel they need to “annoy people” on their way to the top.

I stand by my theory that people on the leader boards use grief teams & other teams they intend to win with to extend their points leads & place higher on the leader boards. Amazingly it seems to me that top 100 players are their own worst nightmare when it comes to fighting boring meta teams. Go figure.

2 Likes

I agree we got enough troop but instead of droping new troop every week why not take the time to adjust the useless troops cause in reality i don’t think more then 50 troops are viable

More that that. There are troops I used to death at the beginning and now are perfectly useless to me, and troops I got very early and were useless then.

Also not everyone has the same stile. I love explodey things and passive damage and I’m not good with healers and multipliers, for exemple.

1 Like

As a regular presence in the mobile/PC leaderboard who’s currently running a Psion-fronted team, I have to say this is probably playing a role but (at least for me) it’s not the main motivation.

In my experience, there’s only so many times that you can play against someone else running for the top 100 (and you run into each other a lot, due to the matchmaking system and sheer number of games you play) and get griefed to death, while the other person is happily stomping your non-griefing defense team, before getting sick of seeing the defense losses pile on and switching.

In addition, I’m not even sure that the decrease in revenge battles is as detrimental as it’s being assumed. Most end-game pvp players will still fight you and stand a good chance of beating you no matter the team you set, so it seems to me that most of the additional revenge options you’d get by setting a less successful/annoying team would come in the 1 and 2 trophy battles, which I personally never take since some extra gold doesn’t seem to be worth the loss of trophies/pvp points (at least for me).

2 Likes

Solving Psion’s problem? Fix Mana Shield to immune to Mana Burn, Mana Drain AND Mana Steal. I’m not sure why Mana ‘SHIELD’ trait doesn’t block those :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t totally agree with you there, justice been neefed cause she was just too good with valk and mab. Same for the troll they were too good with kraken. If you put justice in any other team it was a mess, same for the troll. The card doesn’t need to be ridiculously strong to be nerfed

Well, I am not in charge of the nerf committee.
I would not have changed Justice or Troll, but Mab and Kraken.

In fact, I am generally against any trait that has an aggressive effect on gem matches, and believe they are responsible for a huge amount of imbalances.

But that is another topic :stuck_out_tongue:

In one or the other of these threads I promised to log some of my PvP matchups to show how things look if you’re at a different level. I got bored with it after 20. I used a little shorthand, I was mostly interested in tracking TDS/Mab/Psion teams. Anything labeled “weirdos” is a team that I don’t think I’ve ever seen before and probably won’t again. Like the 4x Desert Mantis team. That was a PITA.

1. Dwarves, 4x Desert Mantis (WTF)
  2. Weak-ass Psion, 2Kraken/Mab, Psion/Ragnagord/Famine/Mab
  3. Khorvash+dragons, Khorvash + spider, Khorvash/Rag/Famine/Spirit Fox
  4. TDS/Krystenax, Khorvash, Khorvash/Highforge
  5. Sunbird?, Knights?, 2Kraken Mab
  6. 3 slightly different Justice/Mab teams
  7. Dragons+hero, Psion/Rag/Infernus/Famine, Dwarves
  8. Khorvash + dragons, TDS + black manacles, Gorgon/Infernus/Kraken/Ironbeard
  9. Khorvash + TDS/dragons, 2Kraken Mab, TDS/Dragons
  10. Weirdo team, Mab/Draakulis, 2TrollKrakenMab
  11. Gates/Valk/Behemoth, Bad Dragons, Stonehammer/Soothsayer/Gnoll/Wulfgarok
  12. Dragotaur/Khorvash/Bone Dragon/Sunweaver, 2Wisp Mab?, Psion/Rag/Famine/Spirit Fox
  13. Bad Justice, TDS Dragons, Dwarves
  14. TDS+Draakulis, Goblins, Crimson Bat/Gorg/Infernus/Death
  15. Bad TDS+death, TDS + Elemaugrim, same Wulfgarok
  16. Weirdos, Khorvash/Kraken/Mab/Valk, Weird TDS/Bone Dragon
  17. Weirdos, Abynissia/Maw, Yasmine’s Chosen
  18. Infernus/Khorvash/Psion/Nobend, Mab/Kraken, Scorpius
  19. Goblins, Gorg/Famine, 2Kraken Mab
  20. TDS/Draakulis, TDS/Dragons, Kraken/Wisp/Mab

It seems like a pretty nice, even spread to me. Obviously a handful of strategies are dominant, but at least at my level Psion isn’t a menace. It’s the Mab teams that are really kicking my ass, but that’s life with a TDS team.

2 Likes

And here are my batch (level 1190, all battles for 3 trophies; doesn’t look that bad at the moment):

1. male/female ironbeard, penguin, highforge
  2. nobend, fizzbang, grapplepot, nyx
  3. kerberos, merlion, forest guardian, dawnbringer
  4. gorgotha, famine, dawnbringer, infernus
  5. khorvash, valkyrie, skaldi, mab
  6. gorgotha, infernus, ketras, mercy
  7. psion, ragnagord, famine, death (loss due to famine)
  8. nobend, fizzbang, grapplepot, nyx
  9. mercy, valkyrie, justice, mab
  10. forest troll, kraken, kraken, mab
  11. ragnagord, dawnbringer, silenus, highforge
  12. gard’s avatar, dimetraxia, mab, infernus
  13. krystenax, dragon soul, ragnagord, black manacles
  14. gorgotha, famine, dawnbringer, infernus (loss due to dawnbringer & infernus)
  15. psion, green seer, yasmine’s chose, mab
  16. humility, humility, anariel, plague
  17. humility, ragnagord, infernus, dawnbringer
  18. nobend, fizzbang, grapplepot, nyx
  19. dragon soul, elemaugrim, infernus, umberwolf
  20. rock spirit, jarl, krystenax, elwyn
  21. firebird, forest guardian, kerberos, umberwolf
  22. mercy, valkyrie, justice, mab
  23. psion, ragnagord, famine, death (loss due to famine & death)
  24. bombot, bombot, bombot, daemonomicon

So, the thing I want to add is: of course, I’ve had moments when Psion teams constitute a majority of opponents, but it has never been elevated to what happen during Wisp/Krystenax or Troll/Kraken, Troll/Kraken/Mab or Justice League days when all three PVP options happened to exactly the same quite a lot. If anything, I would say I actually see more variety nowadays than ever before in my 7-month affair with this game;
In addition, I somehow get the impression that loudest complainers are the ones trying to use one invade team for all their PVP battles…I even happen to change my troops in monocolour GW teams depending on what opponent’s I’m facing, so adjusting ordinary PVP team should be no problem at all.

Here’s my batch, level 1088, all battles for 3 trophies:

1 Forest Troll, Kraken, Kraken, Mab
2 Korvash, Ragnagord, Famine, Spirit Fox
3 Nobend, Grapplepot, Fizzbang, Siren
4 Humility, Humility, Anariel, Plague
5 Gorgotha, TDS, Krystenax, Sylvanimora
6 Anointed One, Infernus, Ketras, Mercy
7 Lord Ironbeard, Lady ironbeard, Penguin, Highforge
8 Kraken, Forest Troll, Kraken, Mab
9 Forest Troll, Kraken, Kraken, Mab
10 Dark Troll, Flame Troll, Infernus, Elemaugrim
11 Deep Borer, Lord Ironbeard, Lady Ironbeard, Highforge
12 Psion, Ragnagord, Famine, Spirit Fox
13 Gorgotha, Krystenax, TDS, Mab
14 Deep Borer, Lord Ironbeard, Lady Ironbeard, Highforge
15 Princess Elspeth X4
16 Humility, Anariel, Draakulis, Plague
17 Psion, Ragnagord, Infernus, Queen Mab
18 Ragnagord, Azura, Worldbreaker, Skadi
19 Psion, Gorgotha, Infernus, Dawnbringer
20 Psion, Ragnagord, Famine, Plague
21 Forest Troll, Kraken, Kraken, Mab
22 Sunbird, Giant Spider, Forest Guardian, Umberwolf
23 Sacrifice, Dark Priestess, Bombot, Fire Bomb
24 Gorgotha, Famine, Dawnbringer, Infernus
25 Khorvash, Justice, Valkyrie, Mab

I know people are trying to help by listing the teams they face in Defend and showing its not that pervasive. I don’t believe that is the ‘real’ root of the Psion complaint. The ‘real’ reason to request a nerf is match duration when battling a Psion/drain team. You should be listing how long it took to complete the Psion match vs other teams.

I believe that’s what this whole nerf Psion thread is secretly about. Match duration.

I am still firmly in the no nerf category. Plus the developers are putting in a counter in the next update…

1 Like

Fine, here’s another one (3 trophy battles, duration approximate - give or take a few seconds, watched at windows clock in the taskbar)

1. khorvash, ragnagord, famine, spirit fox - 1 minute
  2. dragon soul, krystenax, krystenax. black manacles - 2 minutes
  3. humility, humility, anariel, plague - 3 minutes
  4. psion, ragnagord, infernus, dawnbringer - 2 minutes
  5. psion, minogor, ragnagord, death - 2 minutes
  6. dwarven gate, lord & lady ironbeard, highforge - 1 minute
  7. dark troll, elemaugrim, infernus, umberfolf - 2 minutes
  8. psion, ragnagord, famine, death - 3 minutes (due to famine)
  9. khorvash, ragnagord, famine, spirit fox - 2 minutes
  10. dawnbringer, ragnagord, famine, death - 2 minutes loss
  11. maw, humility, infernus, mercy - 1 minute
  12. forest troll, kraken, kraken, mab - 2 minutes
  13. acolyte, queen aurora, pharos-ra, baba yaga - 2 minutes
  14. gorgotha, dragon soul, drakulis, famine - 2 minutes
  15. khorvash, valkyrie, mab, mercy - 1 minute
  16. psion, minogor, ragnagord, famine - 3 minutes loss (mostly due to famine)
  17. maw, infernus, dawnbringer, mercy - 2 minutes
  18. apothecary, dwarven gate, lady ironbeard, highforge - 2 minutes
  19. khorvash, vakyrie, silent one, mercy - 3 minutes (due to silence)
  20. gorgotha, lord ironbrerd, imperial jewel, silenus - 2 minutes
  21. king mikhail, captain skullbeard, infernus, queen aurora - 2 minutes
  22. forest troll, kraken, kraken, mab - 2 minutes
  23. maw, mercy, infernal king, sheggra - 2 minutes
  24. dark troll, fire troll, infernus, elemaugrim - 2 minutes
  25. khorvash, valkyriem, pharos-ra, mab - 2 minutes

Well, I don’t see Psion battles taking that much longer…

Does the game promise you fast battles?

I fought a 4x Desert Mantis team yesterday, that took about 3x as long as other teams to beat. Maybe we should nerf Desert Mantis, right?

3 Likes

Actually I posted it to show that’s rather pervasive, even if a little less of what I perceived. Kraken/Mab is also pervasive but Mab must be someone’s pet, she cannot be touched or even discussed.

Also I like to see what other players face; it would be good to have lists from players of many different levels.

We should nerf EVERYTHING.

Ah, the Harrison Bergeron approach to Gems of War.

3 Likes

Sure, some players clearly aren’t interested into a better/fair experience to everyone, or even to discuss and investigate perceived issues. They have their personnal agenda to follow, they keep chasing optimal paths to achieve goals such as have everything in the game. It’s a sort of addiction not rare in collectible games…

Make one move, and you have to wait 7-8 extra turns before you can finally do something like making a move that benefits you in no way at all.