Improvement to Cheat Detection (and Consequent Bans)

I Agree!!! They should have all troops and resources removed from their accounts, be reset to Level 1, and be allowed to continue forward. Justice REQUIRES they lose the gains. Mercy allows them to exist afterwards.

2 Likes

You actually can get hero levels faster if you want to part with some gems on hero event week. Might be an option for a person thatā€™s gem rich and time poor.

Whatā€™s the practical difference between your solution and making a fresh new account?

He/she meant that hacking doesnā€™t necessarily imply intelligence or code writing or brains whatsoever. All one needs to hack is to click 3 times on a download link, install and run.

OK seriously are you just here to walk through every fallacious argument in support of cheating, or are you going to bring something interesting to the table?

This is starting to remind me of the Paradox of Tolerance argument. Letā€™s lay out the pieces.

The devs put on the table, ā€œThe punishment for cheating is you will be banned.ā€ Cheating hurts players. People cheated. The devs banned those cheaters.

The victim is not the cheaters. The victim is not the devs. The victim is the other players who might have lost GW matches or LB positions they would have won if the cheaters didnā€™t have an unfair advantage. If the devs ignore cheaters, then other players are hurt. If the devs give clemency to cheaters, other players are hurt.

So someone gets hurt if the devs ban cheaters, and someone gets hurt if they donā€™t. But the cheaters are the only group provably causing damage to other players. So they are the group that should be hurt. In a hypothetical world where there are no cheaters, everyone would be better. In a hypothetical world where there are only cheaters, the game ends. Which outcome is rosy?

Yes, there will always be cheaters, just as there will always be violence. This fact is no reason to give up on our assertion that these things are wrong. By fighting against them and declaring we do not believe they are right, we help curb them and assure even when we canā€™t prevent it we canā€™t be held responsible for tolerating it. Hence my reference to the paradox of tolerance: to be tolerant, you absolutely must not tolerate intolerance. Tolerating intolerance proliferates it. Then you are intolerant. Thus with cheaters. It is cheating to forgive cheaters. It removes the consequence that motivates many to shy away.

We arenā€™t talking about imprisoning people for 20 years for having a joint. We arenā€™t talking about killing thousands of civilians a year for almost 20 years because one guy who was killed half a decade ago did a thing. We arenā€™t talking about imprisoning women and removing their rights to get jobs or vote because they caught a disease that killed their child.

Weā€™re talking about telling people they canā€™t play a video game. Yet youā€™re arguing as if weā€™ve severely damaged peoplesā€™ lives and more harm will come if we donā€™t cease. At the risk of playing moral privation I think you need to evaluate your priorities.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to remind everyone that we donā€™t ban ips, just accounts. If players want to make new accounts and play them without cheating, they are more than welcome too. They arenā€™t permanently barred from the game, just the account where cheating occurred.

1 Like

Exactly. Thatā€™s what I meant.

I will not be against a macro to open my usual 7k-8k shards for the new delveā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

You generalize too much. And it is about individuals, each of which is individual.

People who have achieved 95% percent of everything themselves, and then someone told them that thereā€™s a bot and no one has been punished for it for a couple of years, they have lost everything. They will not start from the beginning. Too much strength. And too many other games.
People who immediately raised their account by deceit lost almost nothing. They will simply start looking for new ways to cheat. For them, the game is precisely this.

Finally, pay attention to what I asked for, and not what you thought. If we have a warning system, the first group will get a chance to think again. We will keep these players. And the second group, it does not save from the ban.

I donā€™t care.

Iā€™d be on your side if we were chopping peoplesā€™ hands off or garnishing their wages. Instead weā€™re asking them to either start this video game over again or play a different one.

The stakes are too low for how invested you are, and certainly too low to set up a case by case tribunal where lawyers plead the playerā€™s case.

4 Likes

Care to explain how some person can get over 15 million score, and counting?
The amount of Gems for Sigils required must be immense, pretty much off-limits to non-paying players.

Still, I strongly suspect that this Leaderboard is not legitimate at all.
If so, what do you plan to do about it?

Example: (strong suspicion, indication of using 3rd party software tools?)

Tbh, if that person can fully clear lev 500 delves, it will get a huge ammount of points per run.

Iā€™m nowhere close, but I can estimate a fully cleared run nets around 70k points.
One tier 7 gives 3 sigils (+ averagely one raven, so 2 extra).

350k points per 1 tier 7 bought.

10-15 tier 7s per day is pretty much the standard in the upper echelons of the leaderboards.

Not THAT impossible as it seems. Compare it with the invasion lbā€¦

1 Like

This is a mistake and a bad example. Youā€™re giving them another chance to cheat again.

1 Like

Do you suspect how many Gems do you have to dump for this?

One Power Orb is a measly reward. I would understand if you would actually get all 100 Champion levels as well for your Hero, but you donā€™t get any.

No one does the leaderboard for gemsā€¦
The only reason to go for top 10 is ego, as you will ALWAYS have to spend far more than you get.

One orb of power would be worth roughly 9-10k gems, if you ask me, judging of the scarcity of normal/major ascensions for going the crafting route, and counting the potential gem income/week under the time spent getting the crafting orbs.

1 Like

If you paid more attention to the event leaderboards, he always goes hard whenever a new faction or class is released, even though he already has zuul. Pretty sure the devs have checked him out multiple times. Figured he is just a hardcore player with lots of gems and time

3 Likes

Ban ip is very easy to get around. The new address is worth about $ 1 with my provider. If you ban a subnet, then first of all the innocent will suffer, and secondly, you can always use a proxy. Therefore - ban account more severe punishment.

Thatā€™s basically right. IP bans, when narrow, are easy to evade. Not a lot of people have a truly static IP, and given that GoW is a mobile game itā€™s likely many people have several IPs. IP bans, when wide, end up banning a lot of innocent people along with them.

The only real way to deal with people evading bans is to make account creation hard or have a fee. Even then, Iā€™ve seen people determined enough to be a nuisance to waste a lot of money on accounts.

In the grand scheme, itā€™s best to stick to the thing most likely to only hurt the person involved and trust that theyā€™ll get busted again if they cheat on the new account.

3 Likes

@Slypenslyde said exactly what I was thinking.

3 Likes

I think the reasonable point made by @LastGrim was that non-cheating players have suffered while cheaters continued to exist on leaderboards and elsewhere ā€“ which is, of course, the reason for these bans.

Obviously, cheating due to such circumstances is the wrong decision. Regardless of whether or not those cheaters were ever going to be caught, cheating in turn still harms other non-cheating players.

I still struggle to understand (and agree with) any of the arguments for not adjusting leaderboard rewards after cheating players are banned (I know of one GW where Guilds were compensated). As far as Iā€™m aware, they include:

• Indirectly calling out those players
  • Creating extra work for support
  • Technical limitations? Potentially?

Does anyone have a better understanding of this?