Global Mail Exploit (Banpocalypse šŸ”„)

FTFY :upside_down_face:

Oh, crap. My apologies. Formerly part of the Empire? What is the phrase I intended to use? ā€œAs a Commonwealth countryā€¦ā€?

1 Like

Is finding money on the ground and spending it illegal in Australia as well?

We are Americaā€™s rejects :frowning:

@Maxx Iā€™ve never heard of it being a thing.
Edit: a quick Google suggests itā€™s illegal.
Edit again: If you get caught, of course.

3 Likes

Yes it IS illegal to spend money found on the ground in the UK. The above post saying ā€˜theft by findingā€™ is correct.

1 Like

Wow thatā€™s dumb. If itā€™s just random money there is no way to track the owner of it anyway.

Iā€™m dumb too I forgot googling was a thing.

Well in this particular case the money was reported lost, and the unlucky lass who found the $35 was seen picking it up on CCTV. So I dunno if thatā€™s really the same.
Sorry team, off topic I know.

2 Likes

Iā€™d feel bad for you, but I donā€™t. Guild wars doesnā€™t mean much for 99% of the players who arent in the top brackets. Stop your top bracket privileged whinning. This ban is completely rational and I support it. If you had a player in your guild who did that, you shouldnā€™t want that player in your guild anyway! I hope everyone else in the top bracket who didnt cheat the system as a guild wins this week, especially if it ends up getting you more riled up over nothing. #imwithsalty

9 Likes

Itā€™s the same as if someone paid money into your bank account by accident. Itā€™s not yours and you donā€™t have the right to spend it.

The correct procedure is to hand found money in at a Police station and get a receipt. If the owner doesnā€™t come forward to claim it within (I think) 3 months, it becomes yours.

Thereā€™s also a principle called De Minimis which simply means ā€œtoo little to bother aboutā€, so if you found Ā£10 and spent it, nobody would be taking you to Court, but if it was Ā£100, thatā€™s not an insignificant amount.

Similarly, if you went to a cash machine (ATM) and asked for Ā£10 and it handed out Ā£20, youā€™re not allowed to keep the extra. If you kept doing this and milking it for as much as you could, youā€™d be prosecuted.

So when someone realises thereā€™s a bug with the GoW mail that lets them trough huge amounts of gems, the Devs should (and, quite rightly did) take action.

4 Likes

Itā€™s like that. They should fix bugs and roll back transactions.

I was thinking about $10 or $20. No one would even bother if they lost that.

Thatā€™s easy just go into the bank and tell them the mistake.

Agree with this. Anyone that claimed it 10+ times knew what they were doing and should be punished.

1 Like

football players, if the opponent is expelled by a player for committing a fault and touching the ball with his hand do not take advantage of their superiority
if they win 6-0 they will be expelled from the league for taking advantage of the situation
and I repeat once again, I am not an affected player
It seems much more serious to hack the game to win all the matches and that has happened and you are being allowed to play
and as long as that player keeps playing all the expulsions I think theyā€™re unfair

1 Like

I believe that the right decision is a rollback of the transaction, but this most likely will not happen, because this is too complicated for developers. Simply hang the problem on the players.

Iā€™m sure my post will get lost in this sea of dissension but here it goes anyhow ā€¦

I get it. This was essentially stealing and it was wrong. There is no disputing that fact. What Iā€™d like to acknowledge though and commend the devs for is their transparency with this situation. They discovered an exploit. They acknowledged the exploit and they let their player base know what actions were taken.

What I struggle to understand is why other situations cannot and have not been handled in the same manner with the same type of openness and transparency?! It was only 4 weeks ago that several players/guilds took advantage of an exploit during guild wars which affected the final rankings at the end of the week. Weā€™ve yet to receive any feedback from our development team as to what actions were taken or even what the ultimate gw ranks were from the last guild wars event. There were no players banned and the player community at large still has no formal knowledge of what happened as there was zero transparency from the devs.

What this communicates to me is that the integrity of the devs is somehow more important or valuable than the integrity of their players? That honestly makes me angry. :rage:

Perhaps if all situations were handled with such transparency then maybe this situation wouldnā€™t have happened or at least not have happened to the degree that it did? Perhaps if you dealt with the gw cheating/exploits openly you wouldnā€™t have seen such egregious exploits only 4 weeks later?

You lead by example. If youā€™d handled previous cheating in the same manner your player base would better be able to understand that you have no tolerance for cheaters, but you havenā€™t communicated that based on your past actions and therefor lines are gray and people will continue to see just how far they can take things. Thatā€™s human nature. If you want to change the behavior of others then you must first start with yourself. Treat players with openness and respect and transparency and they will respect you in return.

While we may not like the final outcome or how it was managedā€¦the banning of some while not othersā€¦ I am hoping we can all acknowledge the devs for opening up a discussion about it and letting us, as their player base, know what is happening.

33 Likes

How is 5 times ok but more is not? Exploiting is exploiting. Cheating is cheating. Stealing is stealing. Wrong is wrong. The quantity of times is irrelevant

5 Likes

Hahahhaah they know they F@#$ up.
They dont know now how too retreat :joy::joy:
Thats why 5 times is ok hhhaahah what ta hell are we dealing with here

1 Like

You only have black and white. If you were sent a gift and you accepted it, and then it turned out that they did not want to give it to you, it does not make you a thief. Taking back the gift from the outside does not look beautiful, but itā€™s not a problem to return.

2 Likes

Only reason Iā€™d say 1 or 2 is understandable is Iā€™m smashing X to get through the mail screen as fast as possible.
If I trigger the exploit to get the same mail more than once and stop, Iā€™d stop.

Being that itā€™s premium currency, report it.
There isnā€™t a free to play game in existence thatā€™s screws around with ā€œprime currencyā€ exploits.
Yes, I would report it too. Let them know what happened so I donā€™t get popped.

Let them take the gems back and give me 2,000 gold and 10 glory, & 2 minor stones for my honesty. :joy:

I donā€™t know anything about GW exploits youā€™re speaking of though. Itā€™s been standard issue though that if you exploit a time wall, grind wall, or now $, itā€™s a fast hotfix. Meanwhile Dragons Eye and things players are dying to get fixed are lingering around. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

First and foremost, this is yet another quality control cock up in a time of limitless quality control cock ups associated with almost anything new added to the game. Secondly, anyone claiming not to recognise the mail drops as an unintended glitch after half a dozen drops is talking out their arse. To then exploit it with relish under the misguided belief that nobody will notice is hilarious, but spending the ill gotten gains to make recovery difficult shows a more disturbing aspect. When spending 1000s of gems, these individuals were clearly taking the devs on and forcing a response that might not end well for them; but that knowledge didnā€™t stop them taking the risk, and the efforts of their guild mates etc in wars were of zero significance whilst clicking ā€˜buyā€™. This issue has affected my guild and at least one ban is in place; the severity of the exploitation may well make that ban permanent. Obviously I am disappointed that this player was so foolish to sacrifice his guild over a glitch but thatā€™s life. People are selfish and if they get caught, take the punishment and stop trying to blag and blame everything else. You alone clicked the ā€˜buyā€™ tab and bans should only be lifted when all resources have been returned with say a 5 million gold fine. I donā€™t think permanent bans are appropriate because it was a developer error that caused the situation and itā€™s fix was far too slowly implemented. Moreover, most if not all people will have collected a handful of times before stopping so the fact that gems have been largely recoverable doesnā€™t necessarily excuse culpability and collecting many many times. This does not give much confidence about the update as far as I am concerned. The devs really need to up their game while they still have one. Employing better programmers would be a start.

1 Like

I think I utilized the glitch to net ~200 gems, spent them. Banned. Simply reporting. My guildmaster suggested I post my case here.

1 Like