Global chat and you

i used to play a game with a much more what people would call toxic chat which i grew fond of, it had no limits you could say anything,only if you were making a threat to find where someone was and attack them would anything be done.ahhh i miss the days where people werent spineless crybabies :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Global 001 - Cesspit check :white_check_mark:
Global 002 - Becoming Cesspit check :white_check_mark:
If anyone wants to talk to me iā€™ll be in Global 666 :smiling_imp:

But on a serious note, i only go to global chat when i need to recruit or newbies needs advice and theyā€™re screaming for help :blush:
There are always pleasant people to talk to but you get one or two individuals that muddies the water quite badly.

3 Likes

So why do so many likes him on the boards then? Include myself? He have contributed and showed a really good positive spirit on these boards since he joined. He is a very respected player of the community. Are you saying that he is another person in the guild you was in? Because on these boards he is as far away from a bully as possible. And yes, if there would be any users from the boards I would defend it would be @Zeddicus2017. Not that he needs a bodybuilder at his side to defend himself tho. But I am a curious human being. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

General comment: I donā€™t want to be that bully that keeps closing threads, but if this doesnā€™t stay on the OPā€™s topic Iā€™m going to close this one as well. Stay away from personal attacks, please; in a topic like this, if your sentence includes specific peopleā€™s names (or something that you know will uniquely identify them) please exercise some restraint and refrain from posting it.

Thank you,
Lyya

10 Likes

If the OP gets his or her own thread locked itā€™s one thing. But I personally donā€™t feel like any thread shouldnā€™t be locked without the individual(s) who caused the thread to be locked facing some sort of punishment.
The forums are much better regulated than global. Still there are more than few who believe the rules donā€™t apply to them. And if the consequence of their violation of the community guidelines is the OP being locked. It doesnā€™t exactly dissuade from their actionsā€¦ It actually encourages it.
Iā€™ll keep this general as well. But at least one ā€œregularā€ uses any post I make as a platform to insult me as often as they can. Makes outlandish accusations about me. But if I confront this user then Iā€™m the bad guy and held to a higher standard than he or she is.
The same things happen in global more often that not for players that are much more innocent than I am of such abuse.
Iā€™m not saying I donā€™t ask for it sometimes. But if others are allowed to figuratively punch me in the face when I do ask for it. Then I should be allowed to punch back. Without fear of only my hands being chopped off (figuratively of course).

I donā€™t and probably wonā€™t ever use Global Chat. Itā€™s inconvenient and buggy. Iā€™m already using Discord, and I can use it while I play the game without any problems. Discord also has a moderation structure that *gasp* has people online more often than Aussie business hours so things donā€™t go to Hell in a handbasket and stay that way for hours at a time. The number of ways Discord is superior to a roll-your-own chat experience could fill an entire wiki.

I canā€™t name a competitive guild that doesnā€™t make Discord use mandatory or at least heavily recommended. My first guild was so casual I upset people when I asked if I could help with recruiting, but they demanded use of a Facebook group for socialization because they all hated the in-game chat. So my perception is nobody, from casuals to the hardcore, likes in-game chat.

Iā€™ve heard the guild recruitment arguments and I get it, but given how much effort dealing with chat bugs and drama seems to consume it seems like itā€™d make a hell of a lot more sense to nix it and advertise in-game that players should be part of the forums and/or Discord.

I have never, in all my gaming career, played a game where the competitive players relied on the in-game chats. Every last game has used external chats because they offer superior features are usually more stable.

I donā€™t know what the heck happened to awryan but Iā€™m pretty sure if it had happened on the Discord it wouldā€™ve been dealt with more cleanly and quickly.

Yes. Iā€™m taking awryanā€™s side here in a way (I think). This is a topic on which I think we can agree. I think the game would be better if it relied less on its buggy chat implementation. I think it might also be improved if guild chat were the only chat. Further improvements would include invite-only chat rooms, but sooner or later youā€™re just re-implementing IRC, which is more or less what Discord did.

2 Likes

I wish people would respect the OP and keep this thread on topic. Itā€™s supposed to be about global chat, not any one individual.

Personally I find global chat is cliquey at best. Iā€™m always logged out because Iā€™m fortunate enough not to have to recruit for my guildm

7 Likes

Thank you, Iā€™m truly touched. I do my best to be supportive, and kind to everyone I meet. Some people really dislike the devs, and if you stand up for the devs, and the game, they instantly classify that as being disruptive.

I canā€™t help that I love Gems of War and thoroughly enjoy playing the game. I have no idea why my enthusiasm for the game gets on certain peoples nerves, but it appears it does, and there doesnā€™t seem to be a thing I can do about it.

4 Likes

Iā€™d be cool with that if the devs ran an actual discord server. So long as the ā€œunofficial GoW serverā€ is ran by players with their own agendas. Itā€™s not an equal playing field. Unlike the forums which are clearly owned by the devs. But helped by players that have earned trust.

2 Likes

As troublesome as the Global Chat can be i think the game and community would be at loss without it.

Sure, there are best communication channels, official or not, out there. But still an in-game chat presents easy first contact/access to many beginners. Itā€™s a valuable tool if used and maintained properly.

3 Likes

Since it hasnā€™t been maintained properly, itā€™s the source of great player angst and has caused more than one ā€œIā€™m quittingā€ thread on the forums, not to mention monthly threads about global drama, etc.

Iā€™d be more optimistic it would be maintained properly if ā€œchat isnā€™t workingā€ hadnā€™t been on the first page of the forums for six months.

1 Like

Valid point. And for what its worth, I apologize for my part in it. So please allow me to amend and clarify my statement.

I donā€™t stand for bullys. Not irl or online.it is quite unfortunate really that most of the behaviour I have seen from this community has been of a bullying nature. I wasnā€™t intending to single out the OP here because I have seen several repeat offenders who I feel should have their global chat privileges revoked. The constant sexual innuendo and abusive behaviour is intolerable. i am frequently gobsmacked at what is allowed to transpire there. My only hope is that the devs see this thread for what it was intended to be, a cry for help. Something absolutely must be done or it will just get worse. The last thing I will say before I hit the reply button and log off for good is just this, everyone would do well to remember that behind every screen name there is a real person with their own feelings, thoughts, and troubles. You never know when a comment that you make because it seems insignificant to you could be the comment that pushes someone past their limits. We are all human beings and we should treat each other with respect. Cheers

1 Like

I can agree Iā€™ve seen my share of bullying in global. But, this forum community is not filled with bullies. Itā€™s the least toxic game environment that I have ever experienced.

8 Likes

I did not expect you to continue after what @Lyya said. However, I respectfully disagree with you. Thatā€™s it.

2 Likes

I always take that into consideration. Thatā€™s why I never judge anyone on how they want to play the game, and I try to be supportive of people playing at their own pace, in their own way. If you are really gone, it was nice hearing what you have to say. You seem like a really nice person, and I hope you know your words today were appreciated.

1 Like

Nudes in global? Thatā€™s it, iā€™m coming back.

(Sorry mods)

12 Likes

Itā€™s a me, Ivar! iIn case you missed the fact that i asked for a change on my nick. :wink:

Now, to further contribute into the topic at hand:

Yes, thatā€™s where the devs should take some time and consider if they are up to the task. They surely think they are doing enough, but on the other hand it might not be enough in the close future. Specially if/when they eventually decide to translate the game to another language. If it comes to that they must take some time and discuss how theyā€™ll handle things and maybe even improve the chat like adding specific language channels and such.

1 Like

I use global at times. To either chat with people at times, or to recruit.

Most of the time though, I have stayed out of the chat. There are plenty of bullies in there, that will pick on new or old players alike, who either have a different view, stand up for the devs, or just in general get along with people they dislike.

I have been playing this game almost daily for almost 4 years I have been playing the game now, I stay out of 99% of the drama in both forums and global, cause I have 0 tolerance for the bullshit that people attempt to pull with it all.

Some of the ways to make it better?? If an account is banned from chat, for whatever reason, all other accounts coming from that connection, be it IP or whatever other way the Devs feel the best way to measure it, should also get the ban. I have seen players create new accounts to go and cause shit in global because they can. They feed on the drama and the hate players give them, so they go and keep doing it. I believe if you have screwed up enough to get banned, then you should not have the right to go and do it again on a dif account. Obviously you done something to get the ban, so it should be a blanket ban.

In regards to what happened the other day, I have been in global more since then than usual, because I have been recruiting so I have been hanging around and chatting to people as well as I play. Since it has happened, I have noticed an influx of low level troll accounts causing drama, even had to use my 1st block to an account because of it. If they are in fact older players creating new accounts to cause drama, then I believe for the betterment of the community and the chat, they should be dealt with as if they were doing it on their main account, and an appropriate punishment be issued to them for doing so.

Lastly, because I know what the community is like in general, I am NOT targetting any 1 person in this. I am mentioning MY thoughts and ideas. That is it. IF you feel that this is aimed at you, I can promise it is not, but if the shoe fits, please feel free to wear it.

4 Likes

I stay out of global because it is a toxic pit, primarily. The rudeness, the gratuitously poor language, the abuse of beginners, the elitism of the old crowd, and the vicious pack attack behavior of certain cliques make it a vile experience overall.

Secondarily, because the UI is terrible when in chat, and when not in chat the flashing of chat messages at the top of the screen while trying to play is infuriating.

One would hope the devs have complete chat logs and review them for toxic behavior, punishing the offenders, on a regular basisā€“if not in real time, then at least every business day. That sadly does not seem to be the case.

1 Like

Your poorly veiled accusation holds no water. With the exception of this thread and the previous one from 2 days ago where I questioned your idea of what pg13 is, I havenā€™t responded or posted in a single one of your threads for months now. In January you blew up at me for trying to legitimately help you and Iā€™ve made it a point to steer clear of your threads ever since then.

Please be a dear and find all of these accusations & insults Iā€™ve littered your threads with. Iā€™ll admit I only performed a cursory search myself so who knows there may be a few out there, but not holding my breath. Iā€™ll accept even the most insincere apology if you canā€™t find more than 1 maybe 2 places we even posted in the same threads, but Iā€™m expecting to be accused of deleting them instead.

Iā€™m now done with your imagined victim complex and itā€™ll be months before you get another response from me. Go go gadget mute button for this thread!

1 Like