Error with new Notifications

It’s still not working for me at all. I was out of the game with Xbox One turned off for ten hours overnight. Upon loading up the game this morning, a Pet Rescue was underway with something like 38 minutes remaining. I did not receive notification of this on my laptop either when the game was running, nor prior when it was not running. Even so, this morning, I have received notifications from Facebook and from Microsoft on the same laptop where Gems is authorized to notify.

I would still like to hear something back about the whole “Opt Out” / “Opt In” thing that I had to do early on in this process. Thank you. -EG

Please try opting out of all notifications from in-game again, for a fresh start. Next, what device(s) did you opt-in Gems of War for, and what operating system version are they? Is your browser open or closed when you are not receiving them?

If you are experiencing issues notifications not being received in Gems of War for Windows 10 you may need to enable them in Settings.

1. Select the search bar and search for Focus Assist on your computer
  2. Alternatively, open Settings > System > Focus Assist
  3. Under Automatic Rules , ensure " When I’m playing a game " is set to on.

For the Browsers you have notifications set for, please ensure they are enabled. For example, on Chrome go here:
chrome://settings/content/notifications

Finally, please try to re-opt in to notifications again.

Thanks, Cyrup. I will work on this more tonight.

I tried the Focus Assist thing last night, and it is already set the way that you suggested. Still, all day yesterday and overnight, no notifications from Gems. If others are having success, I’m wondering if this has anything to do with the default settings for the Notifications that get populated in the game.

The device that I opted in on is my Windows 10 laptop in Chrome, in which I receive Facebook notifications. alerts.gemsofwar.com appears on my “Allow” list.

Device is Windows 10, version 1803:

So, now it’s time for the really stupid question – Are these notifications from GoW?

Since they appear under an “Xbox” heading, and since these are the only two GoW-related notifications I had received since the new notification system was executed, I had assumed that they were from Microsoft Xbox, and not from GoW. But, perhaps I am mistaken, and I just don’t have enough notification categories checked in-game.

As always, thanks for helping me with this. Perhaps I need to apply a checkmark in-game to something that gets a whole lot of notifications (like in-game Chat or something), to see if the notifications populate more frequently. But, with no Pet notification at all, it just seems suspicious.

Again, much gratitude for the analysis. -EG

1 Like

Tonight, I opted out, and I also physically removed the GoW notification in Chrome settings. I then generated a new E-mail and opted in:

I’ll update again when I get an idea if it is working or not. -EG

Hey @EnsignGarak, no problem, let me know how it goes. The second screenshot showing the Xbox title is from Xbox which is sending you the Xbox Achievements, our notifications are seperate and look like the last screenshot with “You have successfully enabled…”

I made up this article in case you run into other issues over the weekend

Yep, I still have issues. Not a single notification overnight nor through the morning this morning.

EDIT: Your Step 5 says to Add:

I do not see where the ability to add something not already listed in Windows 10 is available. I have searched on-line for the ability to manually add an app for Notifications, and I am finding no reference like that in any Windows 10 documentation. Once the app is listed, it can be turned on or off. However, I see no way to manually add something that is not listed – and Gems of War is not listed in my Notifications list.

EDIT: Every article that I read from Microsoft Support says that apps cannot be manually added to the Windows 10 Action Center. So, since GoW is not appearing in my Action Center (but other apps are), it would seem that there is some kind of a problem with that E-mail notification that adds the app to the browser, as it does not seem to be adding it to Windows 10. Thanks.

I signed on to an account associated with my E-mail address, and as a result, my copy of Chrome looked “new” and only had notifications from Google enabled. So, I went out to GoW and attempted to send a new E-mail in order to set up notifications. Here’s what I got:

Since it’s working for so many other people, I don’t understand why it’s not working for me. I didn’t seem to have a problem with the community Forum:

And despite receiving the error above, I have now generated this in Chrome:

Unfortunately, GoW is STILL not showing up in my Windows 10 Action Center for Notifications.

Any help that you can provide would be most appreciated! -EG

So, I haven’t received a response on this since Friday of last week. Have we dropped this discussion, or is this something that is still being looked into?

The receipt of notifications is spotty. I still don’t get them on my main ID on which my Xbox Live Gamertag is based, and upon which I receive all other Xbox notifications. I thought that enabling native notifications in Chrome (How to enable native Chrome notifications on Windows 10 - Pureinfotech) might help, but I still don’t have GoW showing up in the Action Center on Windows 10. It would seem that this is an issue that perhaps should be addressed in some way.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can try. Thank you. -EG

1 Like

Hey Ensign, I’m sorry, your response fell to the bottom of my notifications! Feel free to ping me on a PM if that happens again. :frowning:

I wrote that article right before I left for the weekend and seem to have pasted the Browser instructions inside the Windows settings. Here’s what you can try:

1. Settings > System > Notifications and Actions. Under notifications, ensure Get notifications from apps and senders is set to On (if it is already ignore this step)
  2. In your chosen browser of choice you will need to add the url ttps://alerts.gemsofwar.com:443 as an allowed notification, this could be under Notifications. For instructions on Google Chrome/Firefox:
Google chrome & Firefox

Google Chrome

1. Open Google Chome
  2. Paste: chrome://settings/content/notifications
  3. If this does not work, navigate to Settings (three dots in the top-right hand corner) > Advanced > Content Settings > Notifications
  4. Under Allow , select Add
  5. Paste in https://alerts.gemsofwar.com:443

Firefox

1. Go to Settings
  2. Choose “Content”
  3. Under Notifications, select Choose
  4. Add or paste in https://alerts.gemsofwar.com:443

If you are on a different browser let me know.

I’ll check in with the team on this in the mean time see if they have any insights.

Hey Ensign, ignore the previous steps (unless these don’t help). can you please try:

1. Opting out of notifications in-game
  2. Check for any windows updates. If there are some available, try updating.
  3. Close the game using the Xbox button (so it is not just minimised)
  4. Restart your computer and restart the Xbox
  5. Open Gems of War and opt-into notifications again
  6. Ensure notifications are enabled as per the last message in your browser for gems of war. If Google Chrome is your Browser and this is showing in the Apps in Windows Settings then it be active.

There are a lot of things and factors that can go wrong in the process, so I realise this is thorough and tedious but it would be good to see if it helps. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I can do that, but I don’t think the problem is with the browser. The problem is that Gems of War does not show up in the Windows 10 Notifications of the Action Center. I can do that again, as I went through those steps previously, but reenabling things did not add it to Action Center when we did this a week ago. That’s where the problem seems to be.

When I last posted I double checked with the team - unfortunately we need to do some tedious troubleshooting sometimes with the web alerts as there’s a lot of complicated server voodoo happening between the game, browser, and the process we use to send the alerts.

The team have reset some of your web alerts to ensure they are opted out correctly. Can you please try the previous steps posted now that this is done and let me know how it goes?

If it does not work or you encounter an error:

Summary
  1. Do you get an error message when attempting to opt out?
  2. in the Settings > Alerts tab after attempting to Opt-in again, do the Web Alerts show as Enabled? If selected, how many devices are showing as opt-in?

OK – So I loaded up the game and opted out of Alerts. Went out to main Xbox window and “Quit” the game. Rebooted Xbox just for fun. :slight_smile:

Checked for Windows Update, and it was said that I was up-to-date (just updated automatically yesterday, btw). Posted this update, and then I will now sign off to reboot my computer. Will edit and update more when I come back…

EDIT: Checked upon reboot of computer, and https://alerts.gemsofwar.com:443 still appears in my Chrome settings. You didn’t indicate that I needed to remove that from Chrome, so in trying to follow your directions as closely as is possible to how you have written them, I am not removing it from Chrome.

Loaded up game and re-registered for alerts by entering E-mail address. Pulled up E-mail and clicked on the opt-in link:

Re-checked the game, and nothing wound up receiving checkmarks as those categories have in the past. Also, the screen in the game says that I have 0 browsers enabled. Not sure where to go next… -EG

EDIT 2: I decided to delete the link still in Chrome and hit up the E-mail again:

In Chrome: image

GoW is still not showing up in Windows 10 Notification Center. However, Alerts are showing as enabled in-game. -EG

:frowning: I’m sorry that didn’t work. Are you able to try opting in using another email address? As we’re entering the Christmas holidays I’m unable to check this issue with the team, but I will do so as soon as they’re available.

I was not expecting for you to work this over the Holiday. For the time being, I am “getting by” with the native Chrome notifications being turned on, as that seems to be about as close as I can get right now. It requires for me to have Chrome open, but it is what it is…

I checked Windows Action Center again today, and Gems of War does not appear. Thanks for all of the dedication that you are showing in helping me to resolve this issue. -EG

1 Like

I did try to do that in the previous iteration of our working on this issue. The problem that I ran into is that, even when using a different E-mail address, a notification is generated to indicate that the browser is already opted-in. So, unless I remove the notification from the browswer (which is not something that you indicated that I should do), it is not apparent to me that entering a different E-mail address will help to address the issue.

Of course, there may be a reason that you are asking me to do this from your perspective of which I am unaware. I just wanted to be sure that I would be taking all the steps necessary prior to trying a different E-mail address again. Thank you. -EG

Gems of War will not show up in the Notification Center. The Alerts are Web Alerts which are sent via the browser. In your case it appears like it is sending via Chrome, so as long as Chrome is enabled for notificaitons then you should be able to receive them. If you are receiving Gems of War alerts via Chrome then that is working as intended at the moment.

i cant activate the notification. I click on OPT-IN and Error :sob:
gow%20alert

Hi @Sheffield, please try opting out/opting in again in-game. It’s likely that the email link to opt in expired. If you have more issues please create a new report or contact support here as Ensign’s issue is a unique problem.