Discussion about pay-to-win frustrations

I don’t have any! My highest kingdow is 3 stars. I doubt that anyone has a 4 level kingdom yet… Maybe @kaya4ever

1 Like

Although i agree with the OP views and comments, i do feel that the tone is overly harsh though.

Cant blame that they(the developers) want to make more money from the game.

Seriously, i am wondering if they even have a viable fix for the game balance and economy. The golden age of gems of war seem to be over in this patch.

Before i took a break in the game, i was consistently being attacked and had to defend. The number of attacks that i am under have seriously dropped alot since i returned.

At this moment, i’m like you @MrSammy.
To reach the 5 stars, you need 8 troops at mythic level 20, and ALL traits …
I have got 3 kingdom with all creature mythic, but now it’s need traits …
Time does its work :wink:

1 Like

I have a couple of kingdoms on three stars… no idea when I will hit four or more - five feels a long way off! I’d expect Sir @MrSammy to get there first!

Our devs team have displayed neither of these - that is just rude.

There are many other threads debating the same issues that you raise, in more polite and constructive ways.

I share many of your concerns - especially about the Zaejin line-ups being ubiquitous - but please do consider others.

[quote]Our devs team have displayed neither of these - that is just rude.

There are many other threads debating the same issues that you raise, in more polite and constructive ways.

I share many of your concerns - especially about the Zaejin line-ups being ubiquitous - but please do consider others.[/quote]

Really?

The 1.08 update has made this game a pay to win/advance the only reason this game is popular (well one of) is the fact that if you put the time in you were just as good as those who paid…

Micro transaction games have been a sore on the buttocks of gaming for long enough but gems of war was that little bit different, not now…now you pulled in the gamers and change things after a period of time, its far worse than being open from the start…so yes stupid and greedy does fit, all be it rude…

Not quite, but I agree it is starting to slip that way… Note ‘pay to win’ and ‘pay to get stuff faster’ are two very different things, and GoW is more the latter…

That still applies. Many of the highest-level players are free players, it’s just taken time. Yes, it recently got harder, and things feel far away again. I agree the devs need to keep an eye on this carefully.

Agree with that, but the industry has changed a lot and this model is making most money… GoW is very very mild compared to the horrendous micro-transaction models out there.

Imagine if GoW changed so that:

• you had to spend ‘stamina’ to enter battles, and it only recharged over a day, or if you spent gems
  • when you levelled or ascended or upgraded something, you had to wait days for it to complete, or you spent gems
  • there were uber-troops with unbalanced abilities that you could only get from real money purchases

Most of the top-grossing games on iOS have some or all of these features… GoW thankfully doesn’t, and from what I know of the devs, never will…

Stupid? You’ve seen the work that goes into this game, the reasoned debates that happen on the forum, how helpful and reactive the devs team are to changes and issues? Ah, no, you joined the forum 8 days ago and feel ready to throw around words that can feel pretty insulting…

Greedy? I don’t know how much money GoW makes, but I suspect it is not much, and it likely needs to be more if we are to see the game stick around and get more great content, new troops, new game modes, and so on.

This forum isn’t intended to be a place for rudeness. Read the guidelines. The devs welcome feedback and engage with us public way more than any other game I’ve seen. Give them some credit, and if you don’t like things, suggest ways they could be improved.

4 Likes

For my part I am an old player free to play.
This game despite appearances remains a free to play, anything can be achieved by patience and perseverance. The new concepts bring the 1.0.8 patch allowed me to regain a taste for game, almost everything having to do …
The developer have thought of this, many players left…, here is the game inputs that gives the stimulus
Understand an online game and although its costs to store on servers, its costs to create new intake … and despite that, the developers always leave the entire game available in free mode, no object today imposes buying anything at all !!!
People who buy have the aim of helping the development and the durability of the game, or feel they want to get faster some object …
But I repeat, this game so far remains a free to play, and all its contained remains accessible in free mode

I also congratulate the developers, because this kind of game free to play with a new regular intake is very rare

3 Likes

I agree its not fell into the pit yet but moving the goalposts so dramatically is no way to keep long time players (I am top player of a top 25 guild).

I also crate apps for a living and this game is no triple A title costing millions to make.

Making it take longer to get to where you are going is half forcing the issue to pay… Testing the water if you will…its a 2014 game and the only real issues have been balance issue…so why now move the goalposts coming into 2016?

We were happy to play as is…but now paying you can get stuff others might never get playing free as there just isn’t enough hours in the day (I should know I play enough).

When does it matter when I joined? I joined because I moved to the xbox due to 1.08 and wanted to find a guild more suited to my skills. I feel plenty ready to say what needs said but since im new here my opinion is somehow empty…who should feel insulted?

I was agreeing with another but you feel belittling me for being new is called for…

The 1.08 is a massive cock up no two ways about it…I understand it might not be making enough cash…but instead of letting it be 505 are going to milk it…undo the good work done and force players to put the hours in…there are no more hours in the day for god sake.

There are 100s of other routes but im not going into them…I just dont have the time

Forcing …?
All people are free to play at their own pace, no one is forcing anyone …
Actually if you want to be in the best then yes you must give of your time …
But nothing is forced , people also play for fun not just to be the best …

3 Likes

I have been playing Gems of War since 1.0.4 and was hoping, for the longest time, for a patch like 1.0.8 to be released. Thanks to this patch I have so much more to work for even if I have to put in many more hours than before. I work 8 hours/day everyday and I still find the time to manage my own guild and reap the many rewards featured in this patch by only spending 1-2 hours daily on the game. The way I see it, if all of the rewards in this game are obtainable through time, it is Free To Play. Given that, this game is, in its purest form, a Free To Play title.

Thank You Devs!

8 Likes

I will be taking a break again i guess.

Maybe i will be back soon again.

Bye.

Now I am no game developer, or even someone who might know anything at all about making a game, but I do know a little bit about business. It would surprise me not in the least if the devs here had someone (or a group of someones, or maybe even a whole corporate structure) above them giving them instructions on how to progress the game. They might be broad instructions, and hopefully they value and include feedback from the devs. But as I generally understand how things work, creative types like devs aren’t always so good at business, so there’s usually somebody making business decisions. We here only talk to the devs themselves, who may or may not have a whole lot of say as to how the business model of the game works.

I don’t know anything about the size and scope of Infinity x 2 or 505 Games, or whatever other companies might be holding a stake here. Don’t quote me, dont think what I say is absolute. I’m only making educated guesses here. But ultimately, the devs we know and love may not have all the money making decisions entirely in their hands.

So keeping that in mind, I try not to judge them too much when it comes to these sorts of pay-to-advance things that the game includes from time to time.

1 Like

Well I come from 2 of the games you mentioned and I totally disagree with you. On the surface you’re correct it appears that this is a better model but you’re ignoring things. I was a mostly free player and I was in not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 top 20 guilds 3 were typically top 10 and I ran my own guild for side events. I was a consistent high performer in guild vs guild events which this game sorely lacks and I did it on minimal money spent. There were plenty of ways to get holy power or power packs in tradeable or personal forms to power myself in battles. When I quit the games I had turned a profit because of time spent I made a few thousand dollars. It was and may still be relatively easy to have a high end deck on free play if you’re playing smart. My mostly free play had me with an attack deck placing me in the top 12 of the game. Defense was also mostly pointless on that game so my defense was nowhere near that but it was respectable.

Now looking at GoW I’ve been playing about a month and for me to get competitive I’ve had to reach VIP 8. I’ve spent more money on gow in about 2 months than I spent on rage of bahamut and marvel war of heroes combined over 3 years. If I had played from the start on GoW I’d be in a much better position and likely in a top 10 guild here but at this point the design is NOT free play friendly for new players. It’s still ok for existing players but it’s very steep curve which is in part why the goblins are still good for the new players.

So yes while on the surface it seems less greedy their approach actually requires significantly more money investment than the app games that are making loads more money than they are. I don’t think it’s done out of spite they’re just following your line of thinking and not taking everything into account. I would also point out that invading requires gold and for a new player who wants to level up kingdoms open chests gold is in VERY short supply. It may not have a stamina associated with it but it’s similiar. If you lose your fights and end up out of gold you have to wait for next login bonus to get some more gold or spend money. Thats really not much different than have stamina and needing cure water to refill it or having attack and needing holy power to refill it except that CW and HW are a LOT easier to come by for a free player.

The lack of trading really hurts new players especailly compared to the other games. I was shocked when I realized there was no way to trade troops.

As a new player, a high spending player, and a veteran of several free to play/pay to win models I would rate this on the lower end of design for new players and free players. I’m tossing around whether I’ll quit the game because it’s not nearly as easy to progress as other app games with much larger player bases and significantly greater social structure. As a developer I would be concerned that there is this much complaining and new high spenders are already looking to leave.
Personally I’d like to see the bundles changed. I think the $50 bundle should be like the herdmaster bundle you should get enough copies to make the card mythic. for me it’s not about having 1 of every card now because that isn’t complete the card needs to be mythic so I need 6 copies. $50 for something I can’t sell at a later time and is only 1/6 complete isn’t a good value to me. I’d be willing to pay $75 for enough copies to be a mythic for a legend but I’d like to see some revamping of troops. The generic formula making a mythic goblin on par with a mythic legend seems flawed. I think individual care for each troop is a better route. With possible changes when you reach mythic for some cards especially legendary or epics. Like just tossing ideas mythic orions skill gives him an extra turn so even if you get a 3 you’re not feelling like it was wasted or just increase base damage on it at mythic. mythic webspinner gets an extra magic applied to increase damage. Things like that personal touch. Traits are ok but as has been said some of them just seem awful while others seem great. Gloomleaf design is pretty solid but say webspinner traits seem lacking. If I can poison the entire team do I really care about a skull match causing poison? how about a trait that increases poison damage or allows it to kill or maybe the trait starts the opponent poisoned.

So while I agree they’re arent intentionally stupid or greedy some of their choices aren’t factoring all things in and it could come off as greedy/dumb to people. I personally have high hopes for the game. But it seems they’re content with a tiny player base and lower income.

Side note have there been any talks of guild vs guild type events or events that require some sort of social interaction? Right now this is 100% a 1 player game but it has patches, nerfs and the like of a pvp game.

2 Likes

Good points. I know business, I know psychology, and have a ton of friends in game design. In most cases you’re 100% correct but in my lurking here it seems like the devs have more say in things than other places. The decisions from a psychology stance seem to be more in line with what I’d expect to see from a dev rather than a stakeholder or board. I’d love to see some numbers from an anlaytics perspective. Like how many people buy the $50 legends, how many buy the herdmaster style bundles. How many are old players new players etc… What sales are like at other price points. I think they’re missing out on money personally as well as player base but like you I don’t know and don’t take what I say as gospel just somebody sorta qualified to comment on these type of things.

Hi. Thank you all for replies.

To make situation clear:
When I started play this game it was nice and balanced. Free player could gain some premium currency, premium player could speed up this process. Everyone get used to claim souls from arena.

Now everything is cut. They changed whole economy, they changed TERMS for much worse.

Answer is simply: Money…or more money. (thats why I used “GREEDY”). Next question is - do they gona gather more money from players thanks to such actions or less by abandon game by them.

Before it was outstanding title. Now it become like whole of them in AppStore.

this game is pay to win if you let it be. It is free to play if you want it to be. There is no in between only you can put $1000s of dollars into this game to get to where the top players are but at the cost of not leveling your character. You can get troops that match the top 1% but you cant get the same bonuses as they do unless you pay even more money into it. You can get a top team but your character will still be weak until you play as many games as the top players. There is no middle ground or grey area until you combine these aspects of the game but then it cant be pay to win or free to play.

I am over lvl500; I keep getting successfully invaded by people under lvl250. I have Mythic Legendaries (in defense!) and all the other resource advantages that implies; they have Commons raised to Epic level. And they still get through.

I mean, I don’t know for sure what they would have invaded me with, but you get the idea.

Stop stop stop !!!
nobody forces you to pay !!!
stop saying anything !!!
You are yourself responsible for your actions if you want to pay made it, but do not say that this game forces you !!!
I do not want to invent the merits of this game, do not flower at Developeur but stop !!!
This is a free to play, you are free to play for free, and I am an example
Today with the changes made by the 1.0.8 I said yes there are things I could get faster by paying … but who requires me to this … ???

You come here to complain without thinking in hindsight, you want to go faster than the other … but I play for over a year and a half and you would have more thing than me without pay the price … ? then I would feel injure by this game if that was the case !!!

You are offered the opportunity to become stronger more quickly than others, but like everything in life has a price !!!
You either work hard or you pay !!

Then stop to advance about the way without taking a step back and do your thinking has little comfort without think of others

Such a subject puts me beside myself when I read your words, you only think you consience without taking the set.
Think that your words are read by all the community, and you can influence others with your comments

So be objective, can be said that the difficulty level of the game for a beginner is higher than before, but do not say it forces you to pay then nothing forces you

[quote=“szefo, post:36, topic:2285”]
Money…or more money
[/quote] the idea in your mind is not in mine !

Communauty fell free, at this time this game remain a free to play !!!

Do as you like , feel free to your actions , no one can force you !!!

4 Likes

top ten is shining example of all the free to play people who reached level 1000 and did not pay to gain levels. also i hope we get double drop rate including cap of gold and souls doubling this weekend