Dev Q & A (3.5 Update, Monday 2/7/18)

That’s really disappointing. You rework the whole class system and now we are blocked because of the gem fee…
Counter Psion with Archer class? Pay 50 gems.
With this team, a Firestorm could be nice. Pay 50 gems.
Etc.

Not removing this fee whereas the reason for its existence is not there anymore is quite a dirty move. Sevs are better than that…

14 Likes

While it seems like my original question is going to be partially answered, given the class event is well, awful, could you address more specifically if upcoming major patches work on bug fixing, qol, and reworking outdated or ineffective game modes to better suit the players as a whole? Raids and invasions for example with non gem rewards tends to “help” newer players with the rewards, but is too expensive, and way too difficult after a point. Bounties have awful high tier rewards and a must for going to at least tier 6 to hit level 20, for a growth orb, not even an ascension. Pet events are ok as easy to build loop teams can be used and newer players still have a chance to get a pet at least but I know some pet rescues are a bit difficult for lower level players. Basic arena is fine, but that is a game mode where we want a clone of it that uses higher rarities, treasure hunt is unused by vast swathes of end gamers, and GW could upgrade gem rewards for lower brackets but add ingots or keys to brackets 1 and 2 without REDUCING gem rewards making it slightly better for one but making it at least more interesting for brackets 3 through 1000+. A new resource with useful implications should have been added to more reward structures without reducing the other gains. Pvp was a great execution of this idea, even if the start was messy.

Even if we get an “I don’t know” or something like that, I would appreciate at least a consideration to focus on what you have now and make it better. New content is pretty for new players, but bug fixes, qol changes, and rewards that incentivize actual long term play create veterans. Pets, pay to win events, and leaderboards for those with deep pockets can only bring newbies and maintain a gimmicky f2p game when before it felt so much more. New content is good as many new features have done well but some changes can only have a grim outlook at the rationale behind it.

8 Likes

Why is there not 10 minutes devoted to exactly why class change costs 50 gems, especially during class events?

4 Likes

Will there ever be any adjustments to GW bracket system or will my guild have to keep fighting 1 man guilds for next year?

7 Likes

These devs are not better than that, and they’re continuing to try their hardest to push people away from their game so they can have an excuse to close up shop and keep all the money they’ve earned while working on their next game…

I think you’re being unfairly harsh to the devs. Almost nobody goes into the game business and makes money hand-over-fist. Since you haven’t heard about Microsoft or Facebook wanting to buy the Gems of War franchise, you can assume I+2 wasn’t one of the lucky few. (I sincerely hope that) Sirrian, Nihmain and the others make the best game they can within the constraints provided by the publisher.

8 Likes

@KYLENATOR001 you’re series of questions are just to big to answer on stream. Very roughly, yes we are looking into these things, but we do not always get to decide their priority. That is all I can say.

2 Likes

That’s part of my point. They realize the game they want to make is now so far removed from their ability to actually make that they’re actively trying to persuade people not to play it. It’s the reason why every single new game mode implemented has a sigil system (minus pet rescue) and a gem shop. They’re actively trying to bleed everyone of their gems while refusing to do something as simple as remove the class change fee. Their is no logical reason for that thing to still exist. And on top of that, the 8 star kingdom requirement is patently absurd. All of those things reek of a company that’s just giving up.

1 Like

Thank you, I hope in the future you guys are given time to fix bugs and not be so pushed into deadline after deadline. I know you guys would prefer the time for testing, feedback, etc. Perhaps on a future Q&A a publisher rep could be added so we can inquire such issues to them?

2 Likes

Still hoping for an answer to the guild wars progression problem. At this point, the ability to create a new guild and go somewhere with it in guild wars has been turned into a 2+ year nightmare. I’ve also noticed that certain events have gone from a 4 week cycle to a six week cycle (bounty, vault, and class events). It’s looking like there’s room in the grand scheme for guild wars every other week…just a thought.

Slightly increasing Guild War frequency won’t help much with ascending through all those tiers. There’s actually a very simple solution for this, reduce the number of overall brackets to a low number, like a dozen. Top brackets contain a low number of guilds, lower brackets contain an increasingly higher number of guilds. This actually matches the current reward structure, which hands out high rewards to a small number guilds, low rewards to a large number of guilds. At the end of a week, top 5% within a bracket move two brackets up, top 20% move 1 bracket up, bottom 20% move one bracket down, bottom 5% move two brackets down, all the others remain in their bracket. Problem solved, you can reach any position within a few rounds without being unfair about it, dead guilds automatically drop down to the lowest bracket fast.

3 Likes

I agree that would be a workable solution, considering that guild guardian levels would act as the limiter in success.

Off to the side and not meaning to derail the thread, but with each update I lose more hope the devs ever get to work on fixing what’s broke instead of handling “what the powers that be want”.

I don’t keep a detailed log, but I know for almost as long as I’ve participated on the forums I’ve expressed worries it feels like the devs are on a death march and don’t have much creative control over the game.

I can craft a Zuul’Goth, at a very expensive price, that will kill 1 troop, once per battle, for 32 mana.

Then Ubastet was released.

Why?

7 Likes

Lol (less than 10).

Zuul’Goth is a :carrot:… That’s all.

6 Likes

Question:
Are you considering new game mechanics based on board effects? Exemple: freezing rows, locking gems, etc…?

I think Salty is not collectting questions anymore, but you can probably squeeze some on the last 10~15 minutes where the devs will try to answer anything* we ask.

*And by anything i mean we can ask about bunnies, centaur’s physiology, rumors about a legendary underwear stole from Cedric’s vault, Tassarion’s misfortunes serving Elspeth, Queen’s Grapplepot’s most famous recipes and such. :wink:

3 Likes

I hope someone asks all these questions. Especially about bunnies, of course, but the underwear intrigues me as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though I also hope someone remembers that in the January Q&A, the devs promised that after two cycles of Raid/Invasion/GW, they would decide on adjustments to braket jumping, given the three-weeks-in-between-GW now. Those two cycles have long come and gone…
Also they promised in the January Q&A that they would in the “next” Q&A answer more in depth about the GW quality of life update. Which…never happened. Both the QOL update and the talking about it in the next Q&A, given that it’s not exactly February now.
Not sure if anyone but me even still remembers these things or still deems them important, now that there’s so much worse stuff and no one cares about GW being unfair and all that anymore. But… just pointing it out in case someone wants to ask.

But of course, asking what the favourite bunny breed of each dev is would be the more interesting question indeed…
Squishy-Bunny-bunny-rabbits-38765483-245-184

1 Like

I can answer that, sort of.

There’s always gonna be that one guy who insists on throwing everything at purple until it can’t be done. This guy ends up at lvl600 with 200 purple and 80 of everything else. Which makes an almost noticeable difference (not really).

If the system was pick one of six … without intervention, the same guy would get all the way to 600 and 0 0 0 0 0 and be pretty screwed. I mean, this depends on how much he’s paying attention - he might get to 300 and 0x5, wonder about weapons and realize he would have unlocked every mastery-based weapon weeks ago if he’d played his cards right. And then he might quit the game instead of trying to rectify this over the next few months of leveling.

2 Likes

This is today! We will be live in a little over an hour with Sirrian and Nimhain. :slight_smile: