Crafting, Oh Dear!

I’m assuming they don’t make all available every week as a retention thing. If you get all the mats, you’re gonna stick around for the extra week or two until the mythic you want rotates back in. At that point they’ve already got you hooked.

There is one justification I can think of for not opening it up to craft any mythic when you have the mats (though I don’t think it’s a good one): It would be really messy/cumbersome if they had every troop in the game always available to craft. One long list of troop names would be a nightmare.

Given how bad troop sorting is at the moment, it would be a real PITA. So restricting it so it’s not a massive list that’s hard to navigate solves that. But that’s clearly a terrible solution and not a legit excuse.

Edit: Second half sniped by @Lyya!

1 Like

Agreed. :grinning:

One thing they could do I haven’t seen anyone else suggest: Enable you to use multiple jewel colors to get more targeted. For example, red + blue jewels gives you only R/U troops.

1 Like

Yes, that could help narrow the field somewhat. However, when I think “crafting” I envision building a thing from parts. I want complete control, even if the tradeoff is efficiency. I thought it was going to be a mitigation against bad luck, but it is not. This is clearly the case for rarities below Legendary, but even for the top tier troops: considering the release schedule is a complete mystery (which Mythics will be featured this week?), the waiting period is just another form of “randomness” – after you’ve already assembled the materials. This isn’t crafting as I pictured it.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I thought, and it’s the reason why my feelings are mixed about the crafting implementation. I just hope they re-evaluate the mode and make adjustments after taking in the bits of constructive criticism buried between all the rage posts.

2 Likes

I agree on all accounts! And it’s nice having you back! Something I keep preaching is that reasonable and objective assessments are far more effective than blind, biased rage. It seems like reasoned discussion is largely a thing of the past. I honestly really worry that the decks just stop giving a shit about what anyone says b/c there’s too much noise to filter. I know if I were them I’d tune out a lot of people immediately and eventually everyone. I’ve found myself being a defender and I never had any intention of that when I joined after a year of lurking.

(Edit: And I think this has already happened to some extent. The stated reason is, “Too busy as the game has grown” which I think really reads “Too busy as the game has grown… and the forums have become a less valuable use of our time b/c it’s filled with blind, biased rage.”)

My main hope is that they just tweaking the summoning stones so they are much more targeted. I’m okay if this means a weekly rotation. But they really need to advertise what’s coming up in the rotation. We should know what’s coming in the next couple of weeks, at least, if they’re going to do rotations.

1 Like

As for your comments about the devs, I bet they have thick skins at this point. They’ve been in game development for eons. As a developer, you have to be able to clinically cut through rage noise and find the nuggets of truth hiding in there if you want to improve the game.

God I hope so. But the fact that they aren’t around nearly as much is pretty compelling evidence… and it’s certainly much harder to cut through the noise now.

Thankfully that doesn’t mean that they won’t read through some of these 3.1 related threads, I think they will.

This is far and away the most successful game this company has produced. They have had to adapt to its success. What used to suffice for community engagement (devs directly interfacing with the populace) did not scale.

Don’t take the silence from the devs as a sign that they are not listening, or that they can’t handle feedback. It was a necessary move, as much as us veterans miss the intimacy.

5 Likes

Heh…

Yea. I was around when the dev semi-exodus occurred. I always assumed that it was true that they had less time to spend on the forum because they did have a major influx of new players at that time. This is something I’ve seen countless times in other gaming communities once a game became more popular.

But, like you, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of it was to minimize exposure to some of the non-constructive flaming.

Yeah, I think you’d left by the time @Sirrian posted detailing about people threatening him and his family and stealing his identity and such. That’ll definitely decrease engagement.

:anguished:
That’s horrendous. I did miss that one.

i think it’s fair to say that there’s been a lot of reaction to this crafting system that has only been out for a few days. some good, but the majority bad. i’m in the camp of introducing something new using conservative parameters then buffing them up after some data is available rather than using generous parameters then scaling them down. let’s give the new system some time to bed in and see if the devs react to the data analysis. i think they deserve that much.

i would advocate holding off on spending any of your jewels, diamonds etc until this has been addressed, since you might be getting a raw deal now. of course, they might decide to adjust the rewards downwards even further, in that case you lose out instead of spending your resources now, but that’s a risk i’m willing to take. the decision is yours, after all.

3 Likes