Concerns w/ 3.4 Pet Obtaining Abuse

Sweatshops are underpaid labor.
I prefer the term “hyper active”.

2 Likes

I think the simple solution for pet auctioning is to limit how the Pet Gnome’s event trigger.

So when one player found a Pet Gnome, the event is triggered for that player and up to 29 others in their guild. People who join after that won’t be able to participate. So every event for single pet is always limited to 30 people, for a hour.

Maybe it is already work like that, we’ll have to wait and see.

As for Guild hopping issue, I really can’t think of a easy solution. What I don’t understand is, will people really doing it? It’s possible in theory, but required such a hard work to achieve. And just for a little collectable pets? In my opinion, it’s not worth the effort, and the issues you will have for that will outweigh it. (Lost guild record, unable to participate in War, reward issue in Raid/Invesion, losing trust from guild mate, etc.)

There’s zero issue in raid or invasion rewards… hop out to X timezone guilds doing pet hunts, go back to your guild. Do raid/invasions and collect rewards… the game tracks YOUR highest claimed reward. Just like it does for guild tasks.
Guild war week means you stay home that week in your main guild. It does however mean you won t keep your GW ranking spot which may or may not be a bigger issue.

1 Like

it is not already my plan to stay up for 36 hrs joining a guild with a pet event each hour…i swear!..no rlly xD

7 Likes

My opinion is this is a lot of concern over people doing a ton of work for very few rewards. Some people will do it. We’ll see them whining that “there aren’t enough pets” and “this content is boring” about a month sooner than everyone else. If we’re lucky, they’ll make good on their promises to quit.

We’re never lucky.

4 Likes

Guild hopping for pets will obviously not work during GW weeks. For Raids/Invasion weeks, the window is limited to when the final rewards are completed. Even then, there are bounty/vault events to keep players busy during the weekends. Also most casual guilds with 20 plus players don’t do a lot of PvP. Most of the players there tend to do PVP to Tier 1 and then grind Explore for traitstones.

Agree with Sly. If you want to forfeit rewards from the other events in an attempt to chase pets, go for it. The game has no systems in place to support multi-guild families or alliances- they are beyond the scope of the design. If the devs find something abusable, they’ll take action, like they did for guild tasks, wars, event rewards, etc.

1 Like

You don’t forfeit rewards from raids and invasions though, as I described above.
Reading really must be hard?

If everyone left to chase pets, who will be left to do the battles?

Wow you must be stunned. You can always do your raid and invasion battles even after switching guilds. You can only claim the highest tier reward though. You can’t get say reward 5 in guild 1 and jump to guild to and get reward 3 again… now of guild 2 had up to 7 done… you can just grab free rewards there.

That sounds good for the player but not so good for the guild.

1 Like

This whole ‘problem’ could be solved by liming PLAYERS to 1 Pet per day or 48 hrs (or another time frame). I don’t know the “rarity”. Change Guilds all you want… You will not be able to take advantage of having a full collection of Pets 32 hours after the update. With a reasonable daily limiter the devs can also set a fair appearance rate for Pets without fear.

I am well aware of the excitement with some players that are in Guilds that all play 50-80 hours a week and look forward to endless pets. This will only Impact a few hundred players anyhow.

Edit: I just now noticed @Mithran posted something along the same lines (Player limit). He writes so much sometimes I skim.

What are you not following???
The LOYAL player will bust their ass getting events done FOR THEIR GUILD. Then go hopping around for pets, and then return to repeat the next day.
As I said only guild wars would be adversely affected due to the rankings within the guild.

As I wrote in my original post, that limits the window to go pet hunting to the end of the week. If you were leader of a guild, would you agree to allow members of your guild to go off early in the week? Would you allow everyone to go? Assuming you let some members go and they played you out so your guild can no longer complete the rewards for the week. How would you answer to those that did not go and are now missing their rewards?

Why do you think it’s limited to the end of the week??? I’ve hopped through lots of guilds with these events going and guess what… I COULD SPEND MY SIGILS/FIGHTS WHEREVER I WANTED TO. I could also only collect from the highest tier reward once… so let’s say I left on a Tuesday… I could go to 3 more guilds and get reward tiers if applicable AND I could help one or two or three of them out if I wanted… so you let LOYAL players go out and come back as they please. It’s only guild war week that should have any restrictions because you can’t do anything unless you were a member when registered.

1 Like

Let me paint a picture here to make it a little more clear what I’m saying, I do think you’re right and Zuboki either didn’t know that or made a slip-up.

Looking over the pet spoilers, while there are a handful that have an effect after you feed them for a while, the majority are cosmetic only. I’m not sure exactly what their effects are, but my assumption is if they take effect every combat they are small rewards that take a long time to matter.

So what you’re telling me is right now, this is possible:

• A guild can fight its way until it’s really close to a significant reward like Portal 12.
  • It can then boot out 5 or 6 members and offer to let new people in if they promise to donate something ridiculous. Let’s say something like 10m gold.
  • Once the guild leader’s finished writing like 15 back-and-forth DMs and inputting 6 different input codes, all the new guys are in the guild.
  • The new guys finish off the towers, collect their portal 12 rewards, then leave the guild without donating the gold because this can be done while they stall in chat and say they’re having “connectivity issues with donations”.
  • Since nothing about this was an ethical choice, the guild leader did a lot of work and only got the portal 12 rewards, which they were already going to get. There’s no way to file a ticket and report this, because, “I was trying to game the system and sell my guild’s portal rewards but instead of being a player, I got played.”

Now, let’s substitute “pet” for “portal 12”. This seems like an exploit path that:

• Requires extensive out-of-game communication since doing it in global would be stupid.
  • Requires lots of hands-on attention by people with guild recruiting powers.
  • Carries high risk the players you recruit will “steal” the pet.
  • Offers no recourse if the players you recruit do steal the pet.
  • Takes effort that is too much for a Portal 12 reward but gives significantly fewer rewards.

Should there be a mechanism to stop it? Probably. But when I lay out all the cards and think about the effort-to-reward ratio plus the risk of being shafted, it seems like the problem will solve itself pretty quickly.

Now, if the guild leader has a policy like, “We stop when it’s not feasible for you to finish portal 12 in less than 5 minutes, and we boot you if you haven’t donated within 5 minutes” it gets a teeny bit safer. Portals have no timeout, so if you want to devote hours to dealing with deadbeats you can make your 50m gold or whatever.

Considering there’s a 1h limit on pets, the odds of finding several not-deadbeats who actually donate in a timely manner and doing all the cat herding with enough time left to finish the battles seems like too much effort for too few rewards.

3 Likes

Paying for X to the guild isn’t the issue. Couldn’t care less.
As it stands it takes VERY LITTLE effort to work outside of the game. Facebook chat yeah??? Or a page. That solves ALL logistics right there. More players wanting portal 12… guarantees payouts doesn’t It? Because you suddenly go from 30 members contributing X amount of sigils to let’s say 40 members contributing…
There’s really very little downside to trying to abuse the system. Guild wars is about it…
Now imagine a guild that’s grown to have 60 or 90 members… there are a few on X1 already… Why wouldn’t they swap members?

Because doing it frequently would be really easy to detect and punish?

Why punish someone for playing within the games parameters???

Well this all seems contentious.

I’d rather pets came in a different system.

If we must have the one hour guild window then I’m with @tacet that the 24 hour membership rule should apply. Else we get exploitation, or feel obliged to join in the exploration and go hopping about with the horribly unfriendly guild finder and so on…

1 Like