Colors(blue/purple) too similar for colorblindness

We already have distinct marks in all the tiles, so even a completely color-blind person can make them apart by that. Maybe altering the outer shape a bit could help more than messing with colors.

Obviously not or else people whom actually suffer from colour-blindness wouldnā€™t feel the need to make a thread and post in it.

They claim above is they canā€™t diff the color. I said they should pay (more) attention to the picture then.

ā€œTheyā€ includes myself, so I know what I am talking about sir.

1 Like

/me confused: you canā€™t see the pictures on the buttons?

Between the Green and Blue it can be difficult in certain situations.

Personally I do not require any function to help me play, but I donā€™t speak for everyone whom is colour-blind.

+1 for making blue/purple a bit more distinct.

And since this is a game which relies prominently on colour it should have a colour-blind mode imo. Then again, I could imagine dozens of things this game should have. Since the developing ressources are limited, other things should have priority though.

Yeah, making the Blue a bit brighter will be a great start.

Iā€™m not color-blind, but I have very sensitive eyes (I have chronic ophthalmic migraines) and some color combinations can be an issue to distinguish for me at times.

Blue/Green isnā€™t a problem for me, but Red/Purple is. Itā€™s not unusual for me to completely miss a 4 or 5 gem match when thereā€™s a lot of Red and Purple gems intertwined on the board, whereas I would have seen it clear as day with, say, Yellow and Brown gems instead.

It seems pretty tricky to find a set-up that works for every condition, though. For instance, the darker Green proposed by @kzintiwife above would probably mash up with Brown for me (at least contrast less than it currently does). Perhaps a Red/Purple change soothing for me would prove detrimental to others as well.

From the sounds of it, the two best options I see are to make the symbols more distinct or to add a color blind mode option.

With the first, maybe add more bevel to the symbols to make them ā€œpopā€ more? Maybe outline them with black?

As for the color blind mode, you could have sub options for different types of color blindness so that you arenā€™t changing the game stylistically when selected. Or, it could change the shape of certain problem gems?

yes PLZ add colorblind mode as an option, i would love it if the BLUE was a lighter color yes! and for me, i thought BROWN was a faded black lol.
but my only issue is with purple/blue, their shade is too close, and tougher to tell on the troop list cause i have the number turned on them, covers some of the symbols tooā€¦ i strain to see the symbols on the troop listing.

2 Likes

I am colorblind as hell, just go by the shapesšŸ˜ƒ

1 Like

my sonā€™s tablet is weird, the colors invert after sleepingā€¦ this was actually really easy for me to playā€¦

i did not think it was that difficult to add colorblind mode/option :{~

I honestly feel life if we just had a tick-box in the option to make the mana icons (within the gem circle) a hard color (white/grayscale with black stroke) that would 100% fix the issue for me.

To clarify, red has the little fire icon, green has the grass, blue has the waveā€¦ those are the icons i mean. No need IMO to change the entire gem graphic.

ya, not much needs to change to make it work for people like me really. and many games do have those options. and it is hard to see under the # icon for the mana on the troop card too, i donā€™t always remember or memorize what all troops mana colors are, my fault thoā€¦

I feel for you. Itā€™s easy for developers to overlook accessibility when they build a feature. Given how core to this game the gem colors are, I feel like this request should be taken more seriously. The developers might be missing out on a set of players who want to play but canā€™t; thatā€™s money not in the bank.

two things, they r an over worked team, and i appreciate all that they do, doā€¦ but it would not cost a ton of time and $ to make a smart simple change or additional option for this. and i can still play, just takes longer at times because of my isue mainly with purple/blue being so close for me! and sometimes i do make mistakes, u kinda glance over the battlefield and not looking right at the symbols. who makes sure each color is that symbol!!! no, they just see colors and play, hate when people suggest i can just look at the symbols, IF the shapes were radically different too, then that would help too. which the DEVs said they would NOT be changing either.

1 Like

As a .1%er (a colorblind female) I have ā€œfunā€ with purples and browns. Frankly, I have trouble with the symbols, too.

I always take for granted my noncolorblind eyes. I complain a lot internally about my horrible near blindness without contacts - I can only see a few inches in front of my face without them. And I have an astigmatism in both eyes, that and the thickness of my script messes with the feel of my contacts and certain scripts give me horrible headaches. And not to mention the fact that I am very light sensitiveā€¦ but Iā€™d honestly rather deal with that than worry about experiencing video games easily (which is a huge part of my life).

I hope devs make an option for you to play more easily. At least my problem can be fixed with a simple prescriptionā€¦ yours is at the whim of developers for any game.

A selfish part of me doesnā€™t want the colors or shapes to change, which is why Iā€™m hoping that an optional switch is added to the menu. Either way I hope itā€™s addressed and fixed for color blind.

I think this (along with some other quality of life changes) should take a much higher priority than it does (clearly, since this thread is going on a year old)