Cheating has become so prevalent on PC/Mobile

@Fleg grinding and using his time to grind is not wrong. Getting >1000 keys means he just grind the whole weekend. @terberos this is very different from account sharing. Sharing is where the load of grinding is divided to different people. I think we should stop blaming @Fleg for using his time grinding.

He’s not saying that.

He’s saying that others shouldn’t be able to devalue the efforts of a single-player by pooling efforts.

I disagree completely, for at least some of the same reasons I’m all for catch-up mechanics (these are different, but the same basic premise guides me, basically: that a difficult thing accomplished does not suddenly lose its value when others are able to achieve it with less effort later) but :man_shrugging:

Thought you should know the position before you disagreed with it.

2 Likes

This is not what I would call cheating. You can already have multiple people play your account if you have family members. I doubt anyone is paying a babysitter for their account. If some are paying a complete stranger to look over their account I think they have more to worry about than the Devs losing a buck.

1 Like

@Fleg has pretty much unlimited with resources, every more second he or other that is loaning his account hunting gnomes will be a waste of their time, pretty much. I don’t see the problem tho, there is many forms of addictions this is rather a healthy one so let him share his account with his uncle or cousin. I don’t see the problem.

Just to be clear, I’m the only one who plays my account lol

4 Likes

And just to be clear, I don’t doubt @Fleg doing all that hard grinding, on the contrary that is what I respect, hard work. My earlier message might have been a bit confusing, might be my English :joy:

1 Like

You got me.

1 Like

@Magnusimus :cold_face:

FOR THE DEVS:
Before you make any balance changes (such as 4.7 or the more recent GAP needs) please increase the amount of Frank’s you give about cheating.

The past 2 years have been a shit show in the world and Gems of War hasn’t been saved by this at all. The amount of Trophies and Gold a guild can produce in a week has become a parody more than anything. But it’s the other 99% of the players that suffer from your focus of addressing the numbers and not how players are “earning” those numbers.

87.5% of the time I could identify a cheater based on their numbers or other factors and be correct in 2019 and years prior. But now it’s nearly impossible for me. It should NOT be impossible for the developers of the game to tell the difference though. If you rely solely on your cheat detection to identify folks (not ban, just identify) then you are actively choosing to lose this war. They have out smarted your detection and have caused your view of balances for the community to be completely obtuse.

If you aren’t going to care about the cheating then stop franking caring about many verses a legit player gets from GAPS. How many legendary tasks a guild of players who all have full time jobs gets or the litany of other ways you’ve hurt your game. By focusing on the suspect numbers produced as a whole while clearly lessening your efforts to eliminate cheating.

Yes cheating in video games is bound to happen. But you’re ruining your product as a whole by punishing the masses when less than 1% are actually cheating.
For the past 2 years you’ve been using what the 1% earns as ammo to dictate what kind of game the other 99% play.

Ironically the 1% aren’t even playing the game. They are instead playing Gems of Botters.

FOR THE PC/MOBILE COMMUNITY:
Anonymous is the #1 trophy guild on PC/Mobile. Anyone who surpasses them has a huge :asterisk: attached. Not because all their players are cheating. Simply because they made their rank when the devs stopped caring.

(I’ve played Gems of War for almost 5 years now. 3 of those years Anonymous was #1 and it never changed. Since the pandemic hit we’ve had 2 different #1* guilds. One guild was no longer even in the top 5 guild ranks prior to pandemic despite being just as old as Anonymous. The other one wasn’t even in the top 10 despite being a few years old at that point. I didn’t research this so my memory is off about their exact rank then okay. :+1:)

Cheaters don’t exclusively go to any guild though. And it’s difficult for Guild Managers to police such activity so please don’t get side tracked by my bringing up the trophy leaders changes. I just feel it’s very clear that more things changed than just easier ways to make trophies and people working from home.

I mean, more people are back to work now than January of 2020 right? Yet the trophy output remains the same then as now for the weekly 6 digit trophy clubs.

And for those who get defensive about this post when I’m really just attacking the devs and their mismanagement of balance… Yes I’m an asshole, yes I’m just jealous, yes I should worry about more important things on a Sunday morning, yes I’m crying, and
JvogximO_400x400
to any other deflection tactics that may be utilized to attack me. “Thank U, Next”

4 Likes

Not sure I agree. I’ve played other games were botting was prevalent and I can tell you firsthand that people just have a natural tendency to brag about how clever they are, and those sorts of things just don’t stay secret for very long. The problem is personal disputes erupt in top guilds all the time, some very heated/ugly, and people leaving in a huff would name names on their way out the door. No way you can keep 30 people…or even the top 10, in on a secret for very long before it leaks. In the 18 month time frame you’re talking about, at least one top guild would have gone down in total flames if what you were alleging was true. Also, I can’t speak to all guilds, but the 50% botting penalty weighs heavily over our heads in Sons. We had someone come in a month or two ago, and within a week people were like “yeah, this guy is almost certainly botting”. We turned him in for audit, and within a week Gems had given him the boot. Yes, that penalty hurt, but not nearly as much as it would have if we had left him to linger. That doesn’t mean that more complex botting algorithms might not be noticed right away, but I can tell you first hand that we are on the lookout for it and the Devs do respond when it is brought to their attention. Do with that information as you will. I consider myself far from a top tier grinder, but 3 hours a day is enough to put up 6-7k trophies a week consistently. Multiply by 30, and that’s 200k+. Sure, that doesn’t mean everyone getting to 6 digits is on the up and up, but it’s a more believable route, to me at least, than the idea to 30 people can keep a secret indefinitely.

2 Likes

Before you make accusations of people you know nothing about awryan, I suggest you talk to one of your newer members who is able to correct your drivel, as he was one of ‘them’ not too long ago!
Stop wasting time posting lies and do more trophy grinding, like the rest of us locked in dark rooms for days on end being forced to play Gems without a break do!
P.S. Enjoy and have fun.

Yeah I’m not sure I agree either. The assumption that the devs base resource collection off a botting 1% is an unsubstantiated idea. When the evidence is that scores spiked during COVID and your guilds aren’t on top, that’s just not enough evidence to bash devs over.

As a side note, I’m really getting tired of people personalizing perceived flaws (how DARE they treat us like this!), making all perceived flaws out to be major (everyone knows how this problem absolutely ruins this game!), and and making perceived flaws out to be intentional (the devs just hate players and want to ruin everyone’s day!). I am by no means a dev-defender and I think IP2 has room for a lot of improvement. But when every single post I see from some people is negative, exaggerated, and oftentimes passive-aggressive, it just makes me wonder what’s up.

Now, I’m not here to start or participate in any arguments over a match-3, so it’s unlikely I’ll answer replies on this post.

5 Likes

You’d be surprised how insular communities outside the English-speaking discords and forums can be!

I don’t think it’s been mentioned before, but here’s a partial list of game patches that were hacked to lock the current turn to the player and/or to cause all attacks to instantly kill: 5.6.1, 5.6.0, 5.5.1, 5.4.0, 5.3.5, 5.3.0, 5.2.5, 5.2.0, 5.1.0, 4.9.5, 4.9.0, 4.8.0, 4.7.5, 4.7.009, 4.6.505, 4.6.008, 4.5.007, 4.4.006, 4.3.007, 4.2.502, 4.2.007, 4.1.006, 4.0.008

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s a good point. I admit I may be over-generalizing from my own observations/experiences in a (mostly) English-speaking guild, where people have the potential to be fairly mobile. But even there, it seems like the 50% trophy hit would motivate them to self-police fairly aggressively. Maybe not though. Might be less of a concern if you are botting for pets or resources, rather than trophies.
Would be interested to hear how other current/former GM’s view it.

@awryan Look out for possible botters in this very thread attacking you. It is such a poor comedy…

Why are you taking what he says personal? He is allowed to share whatever/whichever opinion he do like to as long as he is not calling out with using the botters names etc.

Stop taking it personal and allow other opinions to flow by you, it’s not a biggie… :bowing_man:

1 Like

Because I can and I wanted to. Take your own advice. Have fun

I was giving you some advice. Be grateful for God sake. :woman_shrugging:

Say what?

Just because Anonymous was on top of the leaderboards, and had a crew that utilizd whatever team the " caring developers " made for them until they got surpassed and now whoever passes them needs an asterisk next to their name and you now call the dev uncaring? Come on now that’s a stretch even you can’t make.

So we get an asterisk because you think we are cheating instead of using the new troops the uncaring dev gave you so that you can grind too but I never heard of awryan in any trophy race on a daily basis ever so what’s the point of your grip?

Nobody shares their teams anymore because it’s like their bread and butter. U see speed as botting when I see speed as a competitive edge. Just enjoy the game. Anonymous had it’s glory I’ll give them that but when the dev gave our guild the next set of troops going 450 to 500 an hour and you can’t figure it out. That’s NOT my problem. You need to adapt.

1 Like

Hey folks, merged the 2 threads as they were quiter similar.

We do not tolerate cheating in Gems of War, and have spent an extensive amount of time and resources to ensure we have thorough anti-cheat tools in the game. We continue to improve these tools regularly.

It’s worth noting that an account can’t be banned for cheating until AFTER they cheat - so it does sometimes happen that you will see a cheater in the number 1 spot on the leaderboard before they are banned and subsequently have all their live event progress removed (and are therefore put at the bottom of the leaderboard).

In addition to using cheat detection tools, our CX team regularly manually checks the leaderboards and goes through player reports to do our best to catch anyone cheating who isn’t picked up by the anti-cheat tools (rare these days as the tools are so thorough).

Anyone banned for cheating has all their event progress, leaderboard progress and half their Trophies removed from their account. In one extreme case, we actually went so far as disbanding a Guild where the majority of members were cheating and the Guild Leader continuously added so many cheating players (more than 80% of the members were constantly cheating), that it was deemed to be more than coincidence as literally no other Guild in the game has such a problem with recruiting legitimate players as that Guild had.

You will sometimes notice a player in the leaderboards or in your Guild roster who is cheating, it’s not possible to prevent it from happening entirely by blocking the cheating with our code, no game can do that, but we can take action AFTER it is done, and we do so to the best of our ability.

As a side note, it’s also worth noting that many player reports come in for people doing very well in the Leaderboards, and it’s easy to understand why, but many of those reports are against players who are doing the right thing, and doing very well at it. So if you find someone #1 on the leaderboard who doesn’t get banned, they’re just not cheating :clap:

23 Likes