A little rant before I leave the game for a while/There be memes!

Truly random numbers do actually have a nice, even distribution – over a very large sample size. Humans are wired to be blind to the forest for the trees, due to a large number of physiological cognitive biases that probably allowed us to crawl from the primordial soup in the first place. Among many factors, these facts stand out as relevant to any discussion about game RNG:

1. On the one hand, humans are prone to assign meaning and “streakiness” to fundamentally random sequences;
  2. On the other, pRNG algorithms used by many computer algorithms (notably games, not cryptography) are not in fact random at all, and instead serve to create sequences that are sufficiently unpredictable so as to fool the human observer.

The OP seems to claim that point #2 implies the drop sequences are biased toward certain outcomes and that this outweighs point #1. While this may be the case, it is simply not possible to judge the merits of such a claim without a supporting body of evidence that can show, for instance, frequent deviation from a three-sigma range of expected results. College degree or not, anecdotes are not evidence.

19 Likes

It is the case that the RNG algorithm used is flawed in some way. I think I remember Sirrian saying it’s Mersenne twister of some sort, and of course no pRNG can be perfect. But cryptography and GoW need very different things out of an algorithm; a repetition length of 10^7 would be unconscionably poor for password protection but wild overkill for this game.

I would love to hear what the claimed reasons are for the algorithm being imperfect. Unlikely as it may be.

2 Likes

See ya later then. Nobody here will miss you.

1 Like

Ok, new player here (a few weeks anyway) and posting for the first time…

Personally I think the random nature of the game is pretty good. However, psychologically you will always note streaks not in your favour whilst generally ignoring streaks in your favour. It is human nature to see winning as skill and losing as bad luck, this is why gambling is so popular.

I’ve seen just as many insane cascades in my favour as I have in the opponents favour. It’s just really annoying when the cascade against finishes off the last 3 troops in a really tight battle :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Well OK, sure, between now and the heat death of the universe it should all even out. ;p Less relevant within the bounds of a single game where you end up screaming “Oh come ON, another freaking 4-of-a-kind skyfall? Stupid cheating freaking cheating horrible cheating AI!” because the RNG is randomly throwing out a streak.

2 Likes

@Amadan

5 Likes

Oh please… :joy::laughing::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Worst online gaming forum? Hmmm… Had to give that a lot of thought. Steam forums have a tendency to be undermoderated, thus attracting a lot of trolls. But I actually like Blizzard’s official forums a little less. They are more moderated, but negative attitudes are abundant. In particular, Diablo 3 general discussion was probably the worst, at least the last time I visited, with a lot bitterness about the game that’s been lingering for years now.

1 Like

The OP wasn’t trying to make a point nor did he want to be convinced or swayed by good reasoning.
He just wanted to vent before he loudly slams the door behind him on his way out, and he actually let the door hit him too. So i guess we can stop reasoning about what he said and slowly let this thread sink into the abyss now :wink:

7 Likes

Or… Or wait… Youre gonna love this idea! We could… Wait for it… SWAMP IT WITH MEMES!

5 Likes
  1. GW has actually rejuvenated my burnout. So I cannot agree there.
  2. This community is the least toxic community I have seen in my 25 years of gaming. Even when they troll, its in good humor and funny. I was trolled just yesterday for saying The Silent One sucks…(I stand by my claims!!!) and it was in good taste and funny.
  3. GW actually has made it so my guild assuming we “try” will hit 20k seals every week (and we cant be the only guild in that boat) so its beneficial for everyone.
  4. I always hate seeing people quit but many of your points just don’t have anything of substance to validate them man.
14 Likes

The OP has never been on wargaming forums then, those are by far rated the highest toxicity of any online game I have ever seen or played. In fact I think the game itself is rated as having one of the highest toxic environments. GoW is a nice fun relaxing game, and by far one of the most helpful communities I have ever been in. Both players and devs alike seem to be very helpful. The trolls I have seen were all meant in good fun. Stick around, you never know, I thought I would absolutely hate GW but I actually like it.

4 Likes

I’m hoping a high level guild does form. GW just isn’t what I want in this game and I’m planning on leaving my current guild (sadly) because I just don’t want to do GW. Hopefully I can find a guild like you describe before I just end up quitting the game.

@BGQtony I’m sure they will form as there are numerous players who feel as you do; but why wait for one to show up, you could create one yourself! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ogunther how did u get a cake? Is it your berfday?

2 Likes

Haha, it is. :smiley: :cake:

3 Likes

Ha, too much responsibility. I’m happy to help, but I dont want to be in charge of anything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@ogunther

5 Likes

I don’t blame you.

:wink:

3 Likes