1.0.9 Sneak Peek - Barrier

Glad Alastair is getting a color change, despite that he will no longer fit my Paladin team. Removing his own color was terrible. Barrier will be the perfect thing for Paladin. Assuming he still removes purple, how about?

1. Alastair
    Rowanne
    Valkyrie
    Hero(Sheggra’s Heart)

2. Alastair
    Gorgotha
    Paladin
    Paladin

Am I correct in assuming you cannot stack multiple intances of barrier on one troop?

Strange, the Hero’s last trait did not look any existing ones ;-). Maybe a new one related to Barrier… Moreover, it’s yellow (or gold). Any ideas?

I like that the Barrier effect will encourage more spell damage / aimable or AoE back into the meta…

How about a trait on a troop: whenever the enemy casts a spell, I gain a Barrier effect? :smiley:

Legendary hero with 22 att, 26 amor, 45 health => huge buff

This sounds fantastic. =)
I hope the lovely community won’t cry wolf too hard and get it nerfed before it’s even released like Frozen…

From the preview pics, I take it this will be added to spells? So the Dryad works her usual magic on an ally, and also gives them Barrier in the process? Sounds great! Alastair works his usual magic on all allies, and also gives them all Barrier in the process? Sounds… wow! ^^

I’m intrigued by Traits for the hero as well, although these shouldn’t affect my beloved Arena (thankfully). Not used to the Trait icons enough to guess which ones are displayed here (someone else surely is?). I’m curious if the Traits will be three fixed ones to unlock per Weapon (as it works for troops), or if maybe you went with something more flexible, such as “you can pick and choose any three traits you want to give to your hero, permanently” (as I had hoped would work for troops)?

[quote=“Livedevil, post:26, topic:3795, full:true”]
Legendary hero with 22 att, 26 amor, 45 health => huge buff
[/quote] We don’t know in which difficulty setting that screenshot was taken. This could just be Warlod II or something.

[quote=“ctu1208, post:25, topic:3795”]
Please keep in mind that this kind of status effect only makes sense when you apply it on the FIRST member in the lineup.
[/quote] That’s not true at all. This would be the case if it only stopped skull damage, but it also stops spell damage. Anyone in the line-up benefits from spell protection.

My bad, I misread it. OK, withdrawing my post.

No worries. I just thought of another reason this would be useful on other troops besides the top one as well. If Agile is reworked as was recently mentioned and the dodged skull damage sometimes goes to the next troop in line, then Barrier would also be nice to have on the second slot.

This status effect sounds like it would really allow a lot more diversity and give a fair chance to block OP combos, overall. I’m excited! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, this has me thinking about corner cases:

• Will Barrier trigger on recurring damage, like Poison or Burn?
  • Suppose the only remaining troop is protected by Barrier, will double-hitters like Druid or Hobgoblin do half damage or no damage at all?
  • Suppose a Ranger targets a troop protected by Barrier with Lightning Arrow, will this only prevent damage from the initial hit or also the split damage hitting this troop?
  • Suppose the AI is playing a Berserker that has at most 2 health left, will it use Berserk! in case the Berserker is protected by Barrier?

I suspect the answers will be “yes, no damage, both, oops…”, I might be wrong though. :sweat_smile:

I would assume that it works on one instance of damage only (and it only functions vs the dragons because they’re coded that way to stop more devastating instant death clears).

It doesn’t have any effect on the ability being used, only on the damage being taken by the troop with a barrier. So it wouldn’t prevent another bit of damage from happening, or another part of the spell taking effect (such as Swamplash entangle).

A Druid can hit a total of six times - 4x 1 damage and 2x tons of damage. A barrier would only block one instance out of six, whichever came first. So a single point of damage from that would dispel the barrier, and the rest - all five - would hit their targets. Hobgoblin would hit once, be blocked, then hit a second time and deal damage - regardless of the target.

I’m not sure if it would be dispelled by poison and burn, but logically it would be. Besides, gives them something to do right?

2 Likes

My instinct is that Burn should trigger the Barrier effect - the burn is ‘on the surface’, so the Barrier stops only one turn’s worth of Burn damage…

…but that Poison damage should slip through the Barrier - the troop is already poisoned and suffering within the Barrier - the poison is ‘under the surface’… so Barrier and Poison don’t interact at all…

1 Like

Exactly. The OP and Sirrian’s replies made it clear it stops a single instance of damage hit.

Poison doesn’t do “damage”:
“Poisoned troops have a 50% chance to lose 1 Life every turn.” This isn’t the same thing as “taking 1 damage”.

Check the picture again. Warlord only affects the opponents team, and the opponent’s traits always appear to the right of the troop. This is most certainly a Hero buff. (And a big one considering it’s only Legendary, meaning below level 500.)

Not to mention later troops are guaranteed to block skull damage eventually considering this status isn’t temporary like entangle, which also proves positive for it’s usage.

1 Like

That’s a good point (well two good points, but I’m replying to the first one ^^).

The Attack and Life stats appear in green, though, so this could still come (at least partially) from buff spells applied to the hero in that particular game. Also, some of it may come from the Kingdom and Banner stat boosts. The 26 Armor stat being white is a bit harder to explain, I admit.

So all in all, there’s probably some stat buffs coming the hero’s way in 1.0.9 (just not necessarily as huge as what’s shown in this particular screenshot).

This makes sense for PVP, anyway. It will certainly affect the Arena, but it could be an interesting meta change. In the pre-1.0.8 Arena meta, with level 10 troops, the Hero was head and shoulders above anything else in virtually any line-up. In the current 1.0.8 meta, with level 15 troops, this is much more balanced, even if the Hero tends to be among the best members of the team. If 1.0.9 buffs the Hero stats in a big way, we should get back to a bigger gap between heroes and troops in the Arena. Wait and see.

I’d like to see the stat buffs be pretty huge… I’m almost level 950… My hero troop should have better stats than even a mythic goblin…

That’s true. Maybe that won’t trigger it… which is fair seeing as poison won’t go away either.

Barrier was shown on the hero, so probably one or more troops are able to put Barrier on one or more allies.

Barrier is a “status effect” so –

Are troops traited with “Immune to Status Effects” immune to Barrier?

This is a good question. I’ll add “will the Hag run the risk of giving a Barrier to the enemy?”.

Barrier is the first-ever positive status effect, which changes (and enriches) this game mechanic a bit.

1 Like

This looks really cool! I’m glad to see more troops get buffs that aren’t just adjustments to their stats or spell ratios. And I love positive status effects!

However, I hate to say it, but barrier + agile is going to be really annoying…

Nice. The first positive status effect enters the battle. Barrier looks quite interesting, but I don’t know how much I will use it, since I’ll always stay with my Orion team in PVP.