Lets talk about Barrier

What if Barrier also protected troops from getting deathmarked or devoured, as well as any other negative status effects?

3 Likes

I thought it does I think. It just doesnā€™t cleanse though.

And with Deathmark obviously if it procs then it is no longer there.

Edit: re-read so youā€™re saying it would protect against these effects from being applied? Would this then break barrier?

1 Like

Iā€™d like to see Barrier be all damage for a turn, but it probably gets too strong and hard to code with the way extra turns on things are handled in this game. Sort of like how Ice Block used to work in World of Warcraft. Pound away all you want, but until its that players turn, no damage gets through.

I do think there should be something like barrier that heals life every turn, and protects from status application or an instant kill, either of which remove it.

1 Like

Iā€™d like a different buff for this (and also add mana drain to the list). If barrier is dropped by status effects, it will be even less reliable at blocking the damage from multi-component spells, and its already pretty unreliable/flimsy.

Yeah, what I am indirectly saying is that Barrier also count as the impervious trait for the troop until Barrier worns off of itself or due the troop is taking damage.

The troop cant be deathmarked, devoured etc. while having barrier. The only problem is that barrier would then be too powerful and will probably need a more advanced rework.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t devouring an enemy troop with barrier give the one doing the devouring that barrier?

1 Like

What about a totally new positive status effect(Protect) that gives impervious to troops? The troop can take damage, but is immune against all status effects as well as mana burn and devour FOR 3 turns.

3 Likes

yes. yes it does

^^ Agreed with THIS 100%.
We already have code for Impervious and Indigestible traits in the game. Why canā€™t these positive traits be added to Barrier too until an attempt is made to Devour a Barrierā€™d troop, in which case the Devour bounces off harmlessly and Barrier gets dropped?

I can confirm that whenever a Barrierā€™d troop gets devoured, the Devour troop gains Barrier itself. Seriously, this makes no sense and it just adds insult to the injury.

Currently, both of their behavior with those effects are as follows.

Deathmark: Barrier protects against the deathmark proc, letting the troop live in exchange for the barrier. (There is currently a glitch with this that the deathmark stays on the troop. The intended effect is the deathmark is removed after this.)

Devour: Troop that devours the troop with barrier will still devour it AND claim the barrier for itself. (Devour is supposed to take all positive status effects, but currently it doesnā€™t steal enchant.)

3 Likes

WTF devour is supposed to take all bonus effects? SMH as if it wasnā€™t busted enough to just instagib your troop and take his statsā€¦

I wouldnt mind having barrier needing a 5 damage minimum or so to be disabled so you dont get one 4 gem match on kraken to take off the whold teams barrier, or poison damage taking barrier off.

Donā€™t get me wrong here, Iā€™m all for buffs. Those buffs have to be responsible buffs though.

I donā€™t think that barrier should prevent the application of status effects, though Iā€™m not against a new positive status effect that prevents them. I donā€™t think barrier should even stop devour. Devour is an equalizer for weaker players to get on an even footing against troops with more skill stats.

A buff I would like to see is more a nerf to skull spam than a buff to barrier. Have all skull matches count as a single damage instance so that barrier can be an effective counter to the skull spam. This single change would have effectively made a half dozen or so hard counters to skull spam and might have prevented the more drastic neutering of an effective troop.

Well i would not mind Jotnar getting to be the completely broken op mythic for a change, but iā€™d rather have him get a decent spell than his barriers making his team practically invulnerable :wink:

Mixed views. Agree Barrier is a bit weak currently. Disagree that making things Impervious with it is the solution.

Agree. I have always considered this a bug. All simultaneous skull matches, whether conjoined or not, only create a single ā€˜attackā€™ animation: more skull matches means more damage on the attack, but itā€™s only one attack and Barrier should block the lot. Currently the game treats disjoint skull matches as separate attacks: same bug affects Courage trait and Archer procs, for example. Note: successive attacks caused by subsequent skull matches in cascades would be separate: Barrier would only block the first one.[quote=ā€œEika, post:7, topic:24326ā€]
a totally new positive status effect(Protect) that gives impervious to troops?
[/quote]

Agree, seems a logical addition. Like ā€˜astraā€™ in some FF games.[quote=ā€œTacet, post:11, topic:24326ā€]
Deathmark: Barrier protects against the deathmark proc, letting the troop live in exchange for the barrier. (There is currently a glitch with this that the deathmark stays on the troop. The intended effect is the deathmark is removed after this.)
[/quote]

Agree, if Deathmark procs, the Barrier triggers, absorbs the ā€˜damageā€™ from the kill and is removed. Nice if they can fix the bug so that Deathmark also removes.[quote=ā€œTacet, post:11, topic:24326ā€]
Devour: Troop that devours the troop with barrier will still devour it AND claim the barrier for itself. (Devour is supposed to take all positive status effects, but currently it doesnā€™t steal enchant.)
[/quote]

I always thought this was silly, and agree that Devour is game-changing enough without this. I feel Devour should get treated same as Deathmark in this: the Barrier triggers and blocks the kill, and is removed.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t barrier supposed to disappear on burn?