1.0.9 Sneak Peek - Barrier

It was stated that Cleanse does not work on it, so I assume Impervious shouldn’t either.

Neat looking effect! I am looking forward to seeing it in action. Some people were referencing how it will work with the spells for the three troops shown, but I can’t see their actual spell card. Is there something there I am missing? I thought at first it was just supposition, but someone was making a spelling correction as well which implies they were able to see the card. Mostly just being nosy. I do like that we might start seeing Status Buffs as well as Status Ailments. Clearly since cleanse doesn’t hit this one you have already coded for that which opens the door to all kinds of possibilities.

To those who just couldn’t resist a dig at those of us capable of seeing the obvious problems related to frozen, it isn’t like we just complain about everything without thinking. Most of us leading that charge are overall very supportive of the dev’s new ideas for the game. We made very well thought out points related to the problems with that, which obviously resonated with the dev team. This ability is nowhere near as game altering as frozen. Having a damage source bounce regardless of damage amount is not a new concept and generally works extremely well. It happens once and does not alter the core gameplay in any way. Frankly I would love to see something similar to this replace agile’s % dodge. Since Agile is a trait not a spell, there would need to be some serious thinking about how that happens, but I think it would produce a much more balanced effect.

-Razlath

Everyone sees the same thing you see, they are probably just making assumptions by referencing the way the troops work now, i.e if the current spell affects all allies, or a random ally etc.

You can also see the spelling mistake yourself in the visible part of Dryad’s spell in the image above (obviously open the image full size, if you haven’t done so).

LOL my eyes must be getting old, that or this monitor is horrible (or both). It is still fuzzy for me, I can barely make out that word starts with a T. Good catch there peeps!

-Razlath

Okay, I have my new annoying defend team ready for 1.0.9:

Dryad
Gloom Leaf
Treant
Ice Witch

+2 yellow

+2 Magic, +2 HP, +2 Armor, +1 Attack

• It uses both new status effects
  • Dryad AI only triggers when an allied troop goes below max HP, so having it in first slot will cause the AI to cast it more as well as insure it is cast to first slot to negate skulls with barrier.
  • The bottom 3 troops cover all colors (if you count Treant’s brown remove)
  • Treant + Dryad will help rack up Big and Huge
  • Gloom Leaf will lower enemy attack while becoming the huge’s thing ever by the time Dryad dies.
  • Ice Witch would quickly be hitting 20+, especially after Dryad dies. The frozen will just help Treant and Gloom Leaf get more HP from their traits.

There could be more to the next update, but that defend would be quite popular at higher tiers. The only possible counter to it is if a new event troop is added that does 2x skull damage to fey and has an ability that does 3x damage to fey. Even then… barrier. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

He just gives himself Barrier, otherwise he would be a little too good.

No she shouldn’t.

3 Likes

I like how a new effect eating up the damage of a whole board of skulls seems ok for everyone but people lost their shit over the first frozen on a former terrible troop(even though it was internally tested and explicitly stated to have worked and felt great). :sunglasses:

Anyways i am looking forward to barrier, seems like a great addition.

The difference is that frozen makes the match harder whereas barrier makes the match longer.

1 Like

It will pass barrier. So if Kerberos devours an enemy with barrier he will gain their barrier. Same is true for Black Beast devouring an ally with barrier.

I did some testing for you:

1. Yes
  2. The first attack is blocked by Barrier but the second attack will hit.
  3. Same as above. The targeted damage is block but the the split damage will hit.
  4. Barrier blocks Berserker hurting himself.

No, they can get Barrier.

5 Likes

I’ll lead the opposition against you. Poison is already useless. It procing barrier would be nice. Not to mention troops like Priestess already have cleanse.

1 Like

I never said that! How’d you do that!?

[ quote=“Machiknight, post:53, topic:3795, full:true”]
I never said that! How’d you do that!?
[/quote]

I may be taking you sentence too literally. To show the text, I removed the space before the word quote above. You can edit the text, post, topic etc., about what people say. In my opinion, you should never change what people say, but they are times it helps to reduce the size of the quote.

He did say it though… Then seemingly figured it was wrong and deleted it.

Also the post number changes based on post. It is impossible to quote someone otherwise. If you check back to post 51, it doesn’t exist. It is his deleted post.

1 Like

Guys, calm down, I was being silly :wink:

I’ll also lead the opposition against that view. Everything is extremely serious.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I agree… The over-reaction to Frozen is puzzling when this seems at least as game-changing… And not like the AI would make smart use of either effect…

I think part of it is that Barrier has a simple workaround of dealing the target damage. You have to play a bit more carefully, and some fairly ridiculous troops (Bone/Sheggra/Keeper) finally get a counter of some kind.

Frozen, on the other hand, changes how basic gameplay works, and can only be dealt with via immunity trait/s, cleanse, waiting a random (although small) number of turns, or making otherwise irrational moves on the board.

Basically, dealing with Barrier requires minor changes to your gameplay, whereas dealing with Frozen requires almost-major changes and/or team alterations.

1 Like

So the outcry against Frozen was a sudden mass fear of having to think? Oh no…

3 Likes

I have nothing against thinking, but as @Shimrra already mentioned, Frozen requires more strategic decisions than barrier. Up until now, nothing required me to plan my moves that much.

Don’t get me wrong, I#m still super-excited for both status effects.