Witch Way?

Nice April Fools joke. Now you can announce the actual change of Event Bosses gaining 2 levels instead of 6 or 8.
Or… Hear me out here…
Have the miles scale with Difficulty. Like you do with Raids. :open_mouth:

5 Likes

But that’s only because Raids are scored by damage dealt, not wins. Literally everything else (that isn’t explicitly confirmed to increase by level) is a flat reward per win.=

Ha ha, are you serious? These 10% won’t help us close the event.

The Journey can’t be closed even by top guilds. And the problem is not the boss’s level. The problem is that the captain of event is no longer working. Instead of winning on the second turn by loop, he passes the move to the opponent and charges his team.
You either need to remove the penalty for the number of moves, or reduce points on 30-40%. It’s not normal that 4 tiers are not enough to completely close the event.

This is an imitation of the changes, not something that will help players. If you can’t fix your own mistakes, just remove the event from the game and give out rewards in another event.

4 Likes

Hey folks,

I’m continuing to put forward the Journey feedback to the team.
They are making small changes currently and watching how it affects things.
I’ve communicated more/different changes would be needed to address the core issue posed by the feedback we’ve received.

My sense of the core of the issue is 2 things:

1. Since Pathfinders were rebalanced it’s more difficult to progress through Journey, which was already difficult. (This is the part of the feedback the level changes are aimed at)

2. The more you progress into the event, the more effort you have to put in and the more penalised you get on the scoring. Basically it would feel better if the more effort you put in the more you were rewarded.

On the other side of the coin, it should not be easy to complete Reward stage 16 and it will require more participation from more guild members than just Reward stage 12. But you all know that.

The aim is to make small incremental changes for now as it’s important we don’t swing too far the other way and make it too easy - which I know it doesn’t feel like we’re at risk of doing currently and I know you’ve been waiting for a long time and are frustrated.

Thank you for taking the time to provide ongoing feedback and for your endless patience.

Oh, also, yes! We brought the old official Gems-of-War account out of retirement for blog cross posts as Jeto was getting a lot of pings on posts she wasn’t writing. We also felt like it was just causing a little confusion in general. The blog is worked on by several different people and then get cross posted automatically to the forum when the blog is scheduled to publish to thewebsite . So it wasn’t making sense to continue to tie the auto cross posts to Jeto’s name (or any team members’ name).

We won’t be using that account to respond to threads, just for the auto cross posting from the blog :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Too easy? Enemies get over level 500 by the end of the week on a tier 4… knocking off 2 levels up to 18-20 battles is not going to do much.

On top of that, Journey has the unfortunate distinction to:

Limit color (tower of doom)
AND
Limit troop type (invasion)
AND
force a useless troop on the player (tower of doom)

as well as force newer players to use up extremely limited resources to get the 3rd trait of an Epic troop each time just to participate, which is not a fun ask early on. Even bounty troops only ask for a 1st trait upgrade.

Not only that:
Invasion troops have damage modifiers on towers and skull modifiers on traits
Raid troops have damage modifiers on bosses and skull modifiers on traits (that likely won’t matter)
World Events: Medals
Tower of doom weapons… well that’s still a problem, but at least we have a full color worth of troops to negate that problem.
Journey? … ?

The difference between Stage 12 and Stage 16 completion isn’t just “doing more battles.” The enemies get more durable and do more damage, causing more chances to lose miles/progress, while we get nothing for fighting harder enemies. It may as well feel exponential in frustration.

The fact of the matter is that players are carrying a slot wasting troop while being forced to play extremely high stat enemies for a game mode where rewards are clearly balanced towards perfect play and not potential point loss from natural progression.

It sucks.

The levels can be adjusted down from +6 to +1 and the game mode will still eventually suck to play as levels gradually go up regardless.

The answer lies somewhere in point loss reduction, reward stage point requirement reduction, or enemy level cap. Maybe a bit of all 3.

39 Likes

This definitely does hurt/get annoying. I don’t think the answer is to make the troop more/less powerful, either, btw. I think it needs a different approach. Perhaps medals again, idk. The enemy level scaling is also pretty tough.

10 Likes

I actually take umbrage to the fact that there’s a worry about making Journey “too easy”, meanwhile Raid and Invasion get troops get 2x magic damage on top of its 5x multiplier damage on a weekly kingdom event that’s adding 10% or 20% bonus damage.

My Anointed Champion is doing 152 damage, which makes it do 760 damage to the Raid Boss Ctharrasque on one cast.

This is a joke, right?

World Event medals made WEs a joke since day 1, these new magic buffs have made Raid/Invasion a joke, but we’re getting heavy resistance on Journey of all things?

I’m not mad at you but like… seriously, what is this?

22 Likes

…is breaking the Journey Event by nerfing the Journey Troop in order to pacify PvP/GW, despite:

Ironically (yet unsurprisingly) something else took its place in PvP meta, as is the case whenever a nerf is used as a ‘fix’.
:person_shrugging: :vulcan_salute:

10 Likes

I may repeat myself on this. But the journey event worked best before all the pathfinder troops have been made worthless. And even back then there was room for improvement. But at least the event was still fun before it became a chore … :thinking:

3 Likes

Even with most of our guild buying to tier 5 we could not complete all the rewards. Nerf’d Journey is the only event, in four years of being in my guild that we can’t complete.

4 Likes

It seems clear that things are not being done incrementally. Rather things are being done this way because it does not require altering code for the event. Fixing the event will require changing the code, which will take substantial time, effort, and testing. Changing the level increase is easy and does not require a substantial change.
These small changes will not do anything toward fixing the issues. The pathfinder troops pre-nerf were covering up the Journey issues. Since it is clear that pathfinder troops will not be unnerfed in any way, Journey needs to be shelved until it is fixed.

By the way, I never would have referred to PVP as a dumpster fire in the past. However, it is a complete dumpster fire currently. Whatever issue that the pathfinder nerf attempted to address did not do anything. if anything, it made things worse as people lazily used pathfinder looping teams which were common and fairly easy to deal with. Now far worse teams are being used and the problem is orders of magnitude worse.

12 Likes

Yeah, really seeing nothing to make me want to play this game mode any more. I’ll do the first few battles, but I’m not going far and wasting my time.
If you want people to want to play this mode (and spend gems on it), it needs a big rework, not just tiny adjustments to enemy scaling. Most importantly, the mode needs changing in line with the feedback from players, because the current mode has gotten a lot of feedback and players have made it clear what the problems are and what needs to change.

12 Likes

as i said id be back when i saw troop selection … you made a bad event worse… DITCH THE TURN LIMIT

2 Likes

Yep uninstalled because of the turn limit, journey nerf etc. I’d rather scrub my kids’ bathroom toilet with a toothbrush than sit through endless grinding with ZERO reward from this game.

12 Likes

Journey event could destroy this game :disappointed:

@Kafka I am really addicted to this game and normally I am enraged when you guys throw new bugs at us or making weird changes or so, but now finally after PvP fiasko, GW cancelling and this journey my mood is changing to fear of the game dying…and I don’t want that.
So, can you please talk to the devs immediately, the situation is grave in a lot of guilds.
Thank you.

10 Likes

For me, the underlying issue is something @Kafka said a few weeks back in that in a paraphrased way things should be fun. This is a match 3 game that people should be able to unwind from their stressful parts of life and enjoy talking with their guildies and smashing some gems. It isn’t about making things too easy.
When and why was the decision made to make Gems into doing a Raid in Destiny where everyone is expected to bang their heads against a wall constantly for lesser and lesser rewards. I have been playing Gems since the beginning, so I know all too well how many things have taken away as opposed to given to players. I find myself typing this and feeling immensity irritated. In the end, that’s a ME issue, but I find myself feeling that way more frequently as the team that is receiving feedback thinks we are all crazy and ungrateful for wanting to have some “fun” while playing your game

25 Likes

Remove the turn penalty.
Or have turn penalty up to a certain level, but after no penalty for having to use more than 10 turns to defeat a high level enemy team.

You forgot to mention that Journey has always been BORING. The design was to spam/loop the Journey troop and ONLY the Journey troop to be able to win within 10 turn- before you made Journey troops useless.
At the end of the week, the battles took several minutes each. But it was possible to win within 10 turns.

Now the battles still takes a long time at higher levels, even longer.

Now you have a high change of losing at high levels because the turn goes to the opponent over and over, but our stats doesnt scale with the enemy’s.

You cannot win within 10 turns at higher levels.

Journey is boring and frustrating and my Guild has made Journey event without any requirements. Journey is not worth the gems or effort.

2 Likes

Yes. Way better strategy to make it too grindy and see if you have enough players left afterwards to still support the game financially enough for others to make difficult choices like make the game too easy .

Friendly reminder that I and many others started playing Gems of War when it was “too easy”. Since then only event after event that thinks humans have 48 hours in a day rather than 24 has been implemented.

Your analytics must not eliminate bot accounts. I don’t see how else you guys can think that any portion of events is too easy without troops that scale with Difficulty.

In summary. Raids used to be the worst guild event. Now in hindsight, Raids is like heaven compared to Journey.

12 Likes

But why is the focus of those changes not addressing the imbalance caused by the nerf to the troop that enabled success in the event for the player?

The result of the nerf demands that the number of turns be amended. This should be what you increment until you reach the point at which you see a similar number of players failing as you did before the nerf.

The only thing I can imagine that would prevent a like-for-like re-balance is greed. Watching players struggle and having to use extra gems to achieve previously trivial, if long-winded, success.

8 Likes