Why do dead guilds get registered for Guild Wars?

I’ve seen a number where the opposing guild only got a minimum score, but haven’t really seen any where the opposing guilds had a 0 score, which is what you would get with a “completely dead” guild. If you come across one, share a link please :slight_smile:

Hmm I like your train of thought, better than mine.
I was in a lower ranked guild for awhile, we went up hundreds of ranks a week for awhile. Passed countless guilds, sorry to those that want exact numbers and screenshots of everything, that had zero members, even one that had -1 member :thinking:. Time for a long overdue clean up of dead guilds @Saltypatra @Ozball @Cyrup

4 Likes

I have seen many, many guilds who posted zero for GW for the week. Sorry no screenshots. I am sure @Eika @Ashasekayi are seeing the same.

4 Likes

Bottom half of my little guilds bracket

And the top half (homebound 2 is my secondary guild)

I would not mind as much if the entire bracket was like the top half, I get it they have probably been around longer then my new guild, i should not just jump past them, i should work my way up. But there is a LOT of dead wood out there.

5 Likes

It’s supposed to be that anyone with you highest rank in guild besides the GM can register for GW… And now we should have 14 days to register so yeah. There’s literally no reason not to make it… Not automatic. Lol

Triple negative???

2 Likes

In case you missed this explanation before.

I was aware of what I did as I did it. And said f it. Lol

It is a rare feet to be able to pull off a triple negative! :clap::clap::clap: but yeah, wish they would make the registration a thing again

1 Like

Unless they all quit this week…uh …WTF???

The death threats, salty was brought on shortly after, etc… There was enough “postings” on the forums, plus silliness that after over a year of GW development they quick bolted on the brackets right before launch.

I don’t think it was “frequent posters” from the forum that were sending death threats to Sirrian, so I probably wouldn’t include that in the conniption.

I was one of the frequent posters that argued in favor of a bracket system - I’ll hold my hand up there. I seem to remember thinking it was a good idea at the time, but we were all talking in hypotheticals then, so it was really hard to evaluate (the version that I advocated for actually included some kind of incentive for actually winning a bracket outside of bracket 1 and wouldn’t concentrate 99% of the net rewards in the top 5 guilds). Given the devs’ consistency in always weighing decisions against a combination of feedback, data and their own judgment, I don’t think it is fair to try to pin this on the forum. Not that it matters; it’s all water under the bridge now.

3 Likes

Because it was. It just turned out to be a problem now that we can barely move since GW became an “one-time-per-month” event… Another problem with such slow movement is how some of us can’t ascend the GW troops we get as reward. This could be “fixed” if the devs would finally move those troops into the Guild chests as it was intended to happen originally.

3 Likes

There was also no talk of how guilds would advance or be relegated before the system was released. Limiting it to a maximum of 2 brackets up or down was extremely short-sighted in retrospect.

I really like the idea that someone proposed a while back that the top 20 brackets or so work as they do now, but below that, every guild is ranked weekly by total score, with the top few guilds entering bracket 20 and then being able to climb from there. That would allow any new guild full of strong players to potentially get onto the ladder at a reasonable point and climb from there (even at once every 3 weeks, that would be as little as 8 months to reach bracket 1 for a guild of All-stars). Everyone outside of bracket 20 gets the same rewards anyway, so why force guilds who clearly outclass the rabble to slog through 250 brackets of dead guilds. It’s crazy.

5 Likes

In a full-out war every week we could have our scores reset, but obviously none of the top guilds would agree to such change.

In another F2P game i played by 2006 (i think) we had something like this. It was fun and intense, and on PVP we would face strong opposition of our own guildmates because there was only one spot the winner team of three players. And the individual PVP worked the same, but due the timezones and reset time for the week it was mostly a competition of who would stay up or wake up
in time to win a battle in the last 7~10 seconds before dawn… :joy:

The beauty of this system is that none of the top guilds would need to worry about anything changing. It would only be from brackets 21 to infinity where things would be fully reset based on the prior GW’s scores, and everyone in bracket 21 to infinity gets the same rewards, so no advantage gained or lost, except the good guilds get out of the scramble and onto the ladder in one or two cycles.

Despite AWR being in Bracket 2 ATM.
I know the struggle of Brackets for new guilds all too well. GNR has finished 1st in every GW Week except for 2-3 weeks they finished second. This is them as of right now and the guild was created July 2017. The first place guild in the bracket ahead of them has 98,051 points currently. (PC/mobile)