What are we working for?

I actually just answered this in my Guild Chat thread.

I am still playing GoW because of my Guild. We are a competitive top tier guild, but we also take into account people’s lives and support each other when times are tough. No, brutal kicking for failing to meet reqs because life has decided to kick your a$$ this week. I appreciate that about my guild.

Also, this forum community is in a word EXCEPTIONAL. Each of you has impacted my GoW experience by being vocal members of this world class forum. And the actual communication between devs and players is something I have never experienced anywhere else in my long gaming career. It is special and I cherish that. Because of their persistence in getting things both done AND RIGHT, @Sirrian and @Nimhain have earned my loyalty and respect, two things I don’t give away wantonly.

Oh, and I like match 3, card based, deck-building, rpg, strategy games. :wink:

5 Likes

Are there other games that exist that mix ALL those components?

There are more than you might imagine, but none of them put the elements together as successfully as GoW.

I had a lot of fun with Puzzles and Dragons, but eventually burned out. Can’t tell you why atm, it was too long ago.

There’s all of the F2P “Puzzle Quest” games that range from meh to trash (Magic, Marvel, Adventure Time). There’s an Adult Swim one that’s okay, Adventure Xpress. There was also a Backflip one, Spellfall, that I had high hopes for but it really fell short. A couple others that come to mind are Saber’s Edge and Primal Legends, which looked good on the surface but didn’t have much underneath. And Puzzle and Dragons, as mentioned.

Definitely agree that Gems of War is best-in-class. I think the worst-in-class has to go to “Star Trek - Wrath of Gems”.

2 Likes

I forgot about Spellfall, when I left GoW the first time, PRE-Ascension after disenchanting ALL of my troops down to 4… :rage:

I played Spellfall. It is very good, but the power curve is INSANE, you go from destroying everything to getting destroyed and there is no real way to catch up at that point. :disappointed:

1 Like

I know there are other match 3, card based, deck-building, strategy games; not sure if they have much of an RGP element thought. I’ve tried all the ones I can find (especially before the 2.0 update because I was getting very bored of GoW at the time) and none of them have the depth that GoW had even back pre-2.0. After 2.0, nothing even comes close.

1 Like

All of this will change when the Guild Wars begin.

Rumor has it there will be a new hero class called “Ruler” which will only be available to members of the guild at the top of the Guild Wars ladder. That hero’s attack will scale 1:1 based on how many games are in the player’s Steam/Android/iOS library.

What am I working for? Probably completing as many of the 3200+ games I already have in my Steam library, not counting any of the F2P ones. Ruler awaken! :slight_smile:

Yup. Played all those. I agree. Not really my cup of tea. I also played Puzzles and Dragons, but after several months I just stopped, it wasn’t fun anymore. And oh god…the Star Trek one – I feel embarrassed to admit that I tried it too.

Gems of War is definitely “best in class” as you mentioned. Of course there are the bugs and pitfalls, but every game has at least a couple. And because of all my aforementioned reasons, this is why I am still playing, even when things seem to get repetitive. One just has to find the fun, for themselves. (Like playing with different team makeups, and always on the lookout for new and fun combinations.)

1 Like

I, too, played Puzzles & Dragons for awhile but it was way too P2W for me.

I find that hard exceptionally hard to believe lol

Also, while there might be exclusive classes tied to a Guild Wars ladder (that’d be easy enough to implement), that just doesn’t jive with the rest of GoW where everyone has equal access/chance to get everything. Perhaps they’ll do it but I’m marking this down as unlikely until there’s some official word from the devs. :stuck_out_tongue:

Surely you don’t think I would pull anyone’s leg… or tentacle…

1 Like

Are you having an issue with someone in particular, or is this just a rhetorical post at heart?

the latter.

I see a different reason for this post than what most people are seeing. (I am not trying to flame, troll, instigate, or cause trouble, so pardon me if it comes off that way) What I see is a person looking to steal unhappy members from other guilds.

When I take into account all of the replies to the original post, I get a general sense of dissatisfaction for the end game, no real reason to keep playing. But that does not appear to have been the initial reason for this post.

I’m here to break up my day. I like puzzle games, love the troop concepts (am an old MtG horder) like the quests and silliness of the puns. I’ve been in 5 guilds so far - 2 were dead, 1 was way way laid back… and just getting to 20k was tough, 1 I just don’t even talk about. My current guild is good for 20k, the top 200 guild space, but not quite organized enough to get 12 tasks done on one guardian, but overall really even on getting at last to 9th task for all guardians each week.

I’m not here to be in the top 100 or 1000 PvP. I’m not in here to follow someone’s idea of how to play this game (one of my biggest pet peeves the - you haven’t played enough to talk about strategy or have ideas of teams to build), yes there are ‘actions’ that can get you faster, stronger, better than others… But I learned in MtG… those people burn out because they didn’t stop and have real enjoyment getting to where they were going. I’m here to have my idea of fun :grin:

Right now I am playing ‘Troop who gets Mythic next’ gets to 20th and tossed in a team to see what it can do for a week. I found I like The Devoted this week… she’s awesome. Just wish she did more than 6 gems at Mythic. But still she’s seriously cool.

3 Likes

I like this idea, I may have to steal it! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I’ve learned a lot about some really under played troops and some really silly teams… and tweeking them is so much more fun than trying to build one of the common uber teams. Lot more challenging too, especially on positioning the troop to be the most effective.

Interesting take, DamageInc, although far fetched lol I was literally ‘in a mood’. I’m only second lowest rank, so I can’t even invite even if I wanted to.

*Edit: although I did ask people why they loved their guild and I reckon only 3 people have answered the actual question lol

Why do you love your guild…?

Because I stalked saluki until I could join. Answer = saluki lol